10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

The “What-Did-You-Buy-Today?” Thread

Started by Tatsujin, 06/15/2008, 05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 07/11/2016, 10:32 AM
Quote from: schweaty on 07/11/2016, 10:05 AMThat's my TV of choice as well.  Some people don't like it because it doesn't  have scan lines
True no scan lines.

But it works great with my various systems.

PS2/3, PSTV, XBOX, 360, Game Cube, Wii, Dreamcast, Saturn, Analouge Nt, CMVS, PGM

I will need to check how it works with my other systems.

Mostly anything 16 and 8 bit. Some 32 bit systems

But that's why I have a PVM stashed away. For games that look best with scan lines and need light gun support. Granted the PVM has remained in its peel an box every since my move.
I run one of these as well.  Love them but yes no scan lines.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

JapanTokei

Quote from: guest on 07/11/2016, 01:03 PMRare Popful Mail Pop-Up Counter Advertisement
IMG

I finally got a new incredibly rare piece of Popful Mail history! This is a pop-up counter display from Japan to promote the PC-88 version of the game. First one that I've ever seen and I'm glad to add it to my ever growing Popful Mail collection.  Starting to run out of space a bit actually :P
Awesome pickup, looks to be in fantastic shape for a pop-up of that age!  congrats

xcrement5x

Thanks!  I am constantly amazed by the condition that some stuff from Japan manages to stay in over such a long periods of time.  The photo makes it look washed out but the colors on it are nice and crisp still too!

EvilEvoIX

Pics Heavy Post but it was a good week.

First, Metal Slug 3, whats not to like?  Not a complete kit but good enough. 

IMG
IMG
IMG

Some Atari Swag Next. Amazing finds today I'm stocked.  The Sears unit is VERY heavy, works perfectly, turns on right away.

IMG
IMG

IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG

Finally I've mucking about with my VGA monitor tried a SCART to COMPONENT to VGA setup, it worked to my surprise, no noticeable lag I've seen.

IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

esadajr

For the "nostalgia rig". This replaces an AudioPCI which didnt sound too bad but not nearly as great as this CT1600 and no emm386 needed.

IMG
Gaming since 1985

Gypsy

Laughing so hard at the auto-cigarette lighter.

I had some fun mail arrivals today. Blazing Lazers manual from Ele to complete our previous trade, Prince of Persia (PCE) from Japan and Strike Gunner STG (Super Fami) via a trade. That got me to get off my butt and remove the tabs from my SNES as I have more Super Fami games in the mail (lots of fun ones imo).

Sparky

I picked this up last week for $5!
This was my first ghetto blaster when I was a kid got it in grade 6 or 7 and Van Halen 1984 was the first cassette I played on it. <<tear>>

It's damn near mint :)

IMG

HailingTheThings

^ Nice! Ghetto Blasters are very cool. Wish I could remember what mine was from back in the day. I know it was black with chrome or silver, that's about it it. Probably some cheapo. lol
IMG

esadajr

wow! with the detachable speakers. An uncle had a similar one, if not the same. That was portable back then, and those things weighed a ton (at least for a 5 yr old they did).
Gaming since 1985

sirhcman

pretty sweet pickup sparky.. gotta love all those buttons, sliders, and dials! is that a high quality system or a cheapo (i don't know squat about vintage audio)

edit: does the tape deck detach from the unit? it almost looks like you could take it off

Sparky

Thanks guys and Ya sirhman, it detached and same with the speakers, the Walkman took many trips up to the cottage as my mom and dad listened to there hits in the big old station wagon aka grocery getter.

Yorx  was a low end brand and I think I got it for Xmas from santie Claus that came form consumer distributing. I loved it but it slowly broke down over the years. The sound is really nice though brings back memories :).

jtucci31

Ok I'm jealous of that ghetto blaster. I always thought it would be cool to own one. One day I'll find one at a goodwill (though probably not)

esteban

Quote from: guest on 07/26/2016, 08:02 PMThanks guys and Ya sirhman, it detached and same with the speakers, the Walkman took many trips up to the cottage as my mom and dad listened to there hits in the big old station wagon aka grocery getter.

Yorx  was a low end brand and I think I got it for Xmas from santie Claus that came form consumer distributing. I loved it but it slowly broke down over the years. The sound is really nice though brings back memories :).
Yes, Yorx was a low end brand... Kmart carried various stereos/TV's by Yorx here in the States.

My first BOOMBOX was a Toshiba model (purchased on sale at Kmart!)...but it did not have detachable speakers and was not as kool looking as the one you have :(

Toshiba RT-6015

http://m.ebay.com/itm/162098999838?_mwBanner=1
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

TR0N

Quote from: guest on 07/26/2016, 04:53 PMI picked this up last week for $5!
This was my first ghetto blaster when I was a kid got it in grade 6 or 7 and Van Halen 1984 was the first cassette I played on it. <<tear>>
It's damn near mint :)
IMG
Nice score on the ghetto blaster now you just a need a mat and you can start some,break dancing  :wink:
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Medic_wheat

So I picked up this CVM off "offer up" yesterday. It was $20. Doesn't seem to be any where as good as MY PVM. 

IMG

This one seems to have a built in speaker however I haven't figured out how to connect the audio

IMG
IMG

Crusty picture of the serial. It's a CVM-1900

IMG

F Zero

IMG

I always have to adjust the vertical. Can't seem to get it to show the entire screen without part of it "bending" at the top.

Tempted to pass it along to someone else in the area who might need a PVM. It's 19 inches.

Medic_wheat

Here are better pictures of the front off google images.

IMG

IMG

On mine the knob on the far right for picture broke off. But I can still adjust it by sticking a finger into it and twisting my finger to the eighth or left. Lol.

IMG

If anyone can give me a heads up on what I am doing wrong on hooking up a component system to this with audio let me know.

Not really an expert here. Or even a novice.

Gypsy

Offerup is pretty dead in my area. The last time I looked at tvs there were posts from a year ago within the first few results. XD

Medic_wheat

Quote from: Gypsy on 07/27/2016, 09:16 AMOfferup is pretty dead in my area. The last time I looked at tvs there were posts from a year ago within the first few results. XD
Yeah it's mostly dead in my area to. It actually took the seller two months to response to my message about this tv.

I forgot all about it until he randomly messaged me saying it was still up for grabs. His being 16 minutes from my house helped.

The dude might even buy one of my extra Coke machines this Saturday. Or so he claims.

Which means my wife will finally have her garage back to park both cars. Lol

Gypsy

Yeah that is rather odd I would have forgot about it as well after that long.

ToyMachine78

What is the difference in a CVM, PVM, and BVM?

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 07/27/2016, 10:09 AMWhat is the difference in a CVM, PVM, and BVM?
PVM is production

BVM is broadcast

CVM ?  Closed Circut ?

Not sure.

It has some of the same features as the PVM. Adjustments for vertical (no horizontal) with BNC connectors in the back. Not sure what kind of connectors the audio side has.

I am sure someone more knowledgeable can answer this.

sirhcman

C stands for Commercial I think, could also be for Color

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 07/27/2016, 10:28 AMC stands for Commercial I think, could also be for Color
Maybe cookie?  And that is good enough for me.

xcrement5x

Damn Sparky!  That boombox looks awesome!

I always keep an eye out for them too when I'm hitting thrifts and I've found a couple cool looking ones but nothing like that.  I mainly try and grab Walkmans if I find them cheap and in decent shape, but it's been a couple years since I found anything good.

schweaty

johnnykonami

Filling some holes in my Castlevania library lately, besides getting Belmont's Revenge a couple of weeks back, I finally decided to buy Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth on Wii.  Technically we have a Wii, but I bought it through my Wii U's built in Wii mode.  Shame they just didn't move it to Wii-U natively (I was kinda waiting for that) so I could be use the Wii-U pro controller instead of having to fish out an old school wiimote and even bother with Wii mode at all, but it's the only place you can get this game.

I'm a veteran of Castlevania: The Adventure on GB and beating that game when I was a kid was a proud moment for me.  Rebirth is waaay easier.  The connections to the original are very loose, eyeball enemies, shooting fireballs from your whip, that's about it.  It has music from several different CV games so far, Belmont's Revenge and Bloodlines (or Circle of the Moon, same song in both) have both been featured.  I'm only on Stage 3, but I'm liking it so far.  I'm a fan of the Developer, M2, and I have already also bought the Monster World Collection by them on 360 (for the "official" Monster World IV Translation especially).  I plan to buy Contra and Gradius Rebirth too, when funds allow.

So buying Wiiware games was a block as I said, because I really feel they should just be available on Wii-U.  I know from doing QA myself things would have to be retested, new controllers, different resolution, etc. etc.  Besides that, Konami is being, well, Konami right now and I didn't expect any resources for that coming from them.

So the next thing I bought has also been another block for me - DLC for Castlevania HD.  It's a game I love, and I bought back in 2009/10 or whatever it was and played the hell out of.  Xbox 360.  So even though I've gotten a great deal of mileage out of my 360, I am loathe to purchase any multiplayer games on it because I have never appreciated the gold membership thing adding an extra cost just to play something with friends.  Plus now, there's nothing to warrant getting one.  I don't have an Xbox One, friends aren't playing 360 anymore, and multiplayer on Castlevania HD is surely dead as a doornail.  So I had to really want to play some single player of it.  Oh, and the DLC costs something like $40 bucks altogether.

This game is only really available on 360 or PS3, and I had secretly hoped it would show up on Steam or a disc containing all the DLC.  No such luck though, again, Konami is probably done with this game forever, and we know they have basically bowed out of games entirely at this point.  So I went ahead and said to myself I would buy $10 bucks of DLC for it a bit at a time because I do really like the game.  Just a shame I have to relegate my play to single player.  I wish it had couch co-op at least!  Apparently the PS3 version does, but I hear you have to play zoomed out the whole time (crazy!) and it's full of bugs/issues.  Anyway, I bought the Simon Belmont DLC, the Castlevania 1 themed stage, Maria (because Rondo) and the first music pack.  Haven't beat it yet despite having tons of gear from before, but it's been a while since I played it and I don't have any help now!  I will probably drop some dough on the rest, but a little at a time so it doesn't sting as much.  I wish some of this old stuff would go on sale!

ToyMachine78

Most recent gets from the past 8 months:

IMG

Gypsy

I really enjoyed that Macross game.

NightWolve

Super Raiden!!! Ought to look into that some time!

ToyMachine78

So far I've enjoyed Macross and and Rayxanber the most. Macross is a little on the easy side though.

I suck at all versions of raiden! It's right up there with Tatsujin on the frustration list for me.

Hellfire is good. Love the music, haven't spent too much time with it though.

jtucci31

Damn nice shooters! I've wanted Super Raiden for awhile now. Get those extra levels that aren't in the hucard.

Rayxanber II is great too! The title screen and tune when you pause are awesome, but man is it hard. I want the third game in the series

bartre

vmorr

Few pickups from some local shops and a Kijiji ad over the weekend. The Super Scope is cool, box is alright condition but its like new with all the plastic wrap and stuff inside. Too bad I sold all of my SNES'.

IMG

My uncle also dropped off some MVS boards that he got for free. Ones really big, the other is pretty small. Both single slot. Might get a cab for one and consolize the other?

Gypsy

Speaking of SNES, I joined the dark side today in earnest. Had these arrive from a trade. I actually have the first Puyo more than once now, but it was insanely cheap and I was wanting to play it while my IFU was away for mod work.

IMG

Gredler

Quote from: vmorr on 08/01/2016, 11:26 AMFew pickups from some local shops and a Kijiji ad over the weekend. The Super Scope is cool, box is alright condition but its like new with all the plastic wrap and stuff inside. Too bad I sold all of my SNES'.

My uncle also dropped off some MVS boards that he got for free. Ones really big, the other is pretty small. Both single slot. Might get a cab for one and consolize the other?
I really like that R-Type version, and have played it quite a bit - I keep it in my SP by the bed :) Crystalis is one of those RPGs that I feel like I would love, but have not put any serious time into. Dragon Warrior II I always hit a wall, and never really finished it. I enjoy what I've played, but it's been years and years since I've gone back to try it again - my last playthrough attempt was the GBC port.

Quote from: Gypsy on 08/01/2016, 11:49 AMSpeaking of SNES, I joined the dark side today in earnest. Had these arrive from a trade. I actually have the first Puyo more than once now, but it was insanely cheap and I was wanting to play it while my IFU was away for mod work.
I never knew about EDF until I tried it a year or so back at work. It was in a bin of games they had on hand to play when we have downtime, and I gave it as shot. They only have a retron 3 on LED/LCD tvs so I never really had a good feel for it, but I remember it being very hard. What are the moon ruin games? I recognize super double dragon, gradius, and thunder spirits, but the rest are greek to me.

Gypsy

Other games are Dezaemon (shooter), Xardion (platformer, with predictably, a large mech), Puyo Puyo, a Hokuto no Ken fighting game, a Sailor Moon fighting game and a Sailor Moon puzzle game. Most of these are pretty low value.

EvilEvoIX

It was a good week, lots of pickups

Savage Reign.   OK Fighter.  I like it, very fast game play and weapon/projectile based.  Very Hard

IMG
IMG
IMG

Super Side Kicks 1 Japanese Variant.  I have the USA Version but this one was a steal at a price so I grabbed it.

IMG

Two new to me NES games.  AMAGON & Phantom Fighter.    I like AMAGON, not too bad.

IMG

Not entirely Video Game related but close enough. Went to my churches rummage sale.  They gave you a box you could fill for $5.  I think I did pretty good.

IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMGIMGIMG

gheebee

Lots of Nintendo stuff for me in the past month or so:

IMG

Bought a used pair of OEM red nunchucks instead of a brand new one so I could swap out the buttons and stick with my black one and, despite being disappointed that you can't just unplug the cord from the board and swap that too, I'm pretty happy with the result.

IMG

Also, 3 new BDs from Code Red! Did some caps for another forum from these discs and you can check them out here if interested: Family Honor, Necromancy, Mardi Gras Massacre.

IMG
(no idea why this image got rotated after I uploaded it...)

Gredler

What's spirits of spells? A GCN game I've not heard of!

gheebee

Spirits & Spells is a 3D platformer where you can alternate between a witch and a devil. I only played it for a few minutes to test the disc so I don't know how good it is, but I couldn't resist a cute looking, horror-themed platformer! There's also a GBA version.

xcrement5x

Quote from: gheebee on 08/02/2016, 12:59 AMSpirits & Spells is a 3D platformer where you can alternate between a witch and a devil. I only played it for a few minutes to test the disc so I don't know how good it is, but I couldn't resist a cute looking, horror-themed platformer! There's also a GBA version.
Interesting, I've never heard of the game either but I looked it up as well and the gameplay vids of it seem cool.  I may need to nab it for Halloween time, the soundtrack itself seemed cool.

gheebee

Played this a bit more today and while it's not a bad game it does seem to have a few problems that you might expect from a game like this. The camera, which you can't control at all, gets a little annoying at times. You die if you get hit once and the hit detection seems a bit off, possibly just because of the camera, so sometimes you'll miss an enemy with your attack and then immediately get hit by the enemy and die. It's not hard to get past these things and enjoy the game though.

ToyMachine78

Picked up this snazzy duo from KC last week. Recapped and Region/S-Video/Purple LED(can't really tell color in pic) modded. It is fantastic! It is the Megatron Duo.

I thought it would be good to have a backup system, and the TG16 was so loud, plus you had to swap out system card during gaming sessions.

Man what a difference. The Duo is quieter, loads faster, and yes.... I hate to admit.... It looks sexier

IMG
IMG

munchiaz

IMG

My small but awesome haul from gameon expo. I won the Dodonpachi, and The game paradise high score tournaments, which awarded me the 2 great sandblasted glass cups. Best part of gameon was meeting Sarumaru and others behind the upcoming new PC Engine game "Henshin Engine". I was even lucky enough to get a copy of the demo. The game is really great, and is a great homage to the PCE/turbo graphics. Only spent $5 on all this (the PCE pins were $5)

Gredler

I ordered this game to have a new jrpg to grind on when TV is not available for Tokyo Mirage Seasons #FE, and wasn't expecting this packaging and art book. It was a pleasant surprise :)

IMG

I hear the game is good, and it's the first Feka produced (and developed I believe) RPG I've bought since the Dreamcast!

vmorr

Few pickups this weekend:

/2yxfbea.jpg
/4nyf.jpg

The Castlevania is resealed but it looks awesome and for the price I couldn't pass (still not cheap mind you). Something I wouldn't expect to find at a local shop. Not sure if I'll ever own a X68000 but it sure has a sweet library of games. Also happy to find a copy of Contact, an RPG I've been interested in for a little while.

Gypsy

I didn't care for Contact but I only did really try it once a long time ago.

Great 360 shooters to get. Espgaluda II is one of my all-time favourites.

ToyMachine78

Quote from: vmorr on 08/07/2016, 02:16 PMFew pickups this weekend:

/4nyf.jpg

The Castlevania is resealed but it looks awesome and for the price I couldn't pass (still not cheap mind you). Something I wouldn't expect to find at a local shop. Not sure if I'll ever own a X68000 but it sure has a sweet library of games. Also happy to find a copy of Contact, an RPG I've been interested in for a little while.
The old school castlevania games are worth spending serious money on. Its my favorite franchise evah!

jtucci31

Quote from: vmorr on 08/07/2016, 02:16 PMThe Castlevania is resealed but it looks awesome and for the price I couldn't pass (still not cheap mind you). Something I wouldn't expect to find at a local shop. Not sure if I'll ever own a X68000 but it sure has a sweet library of games. Also happy to find a copy of Contact, an RPG I've been interested in for a little while.
Hey well if you ever give up on trying to own a 68k, I'll take that Castlevania off your hands :wink:

Regardless, very cool!

NightWolve

Quote from: vmorr on 08/07/2016, 02:16 PM/4nyf.jpg

I own Wild Arms 1-4, but only beat the first one myself. Don't quite remember it now, but I think I enjoyed it and hence pursued collecting the sequels for eventual future play (only growing my backlog). I bought the first 2, then I did tech work for my old friend at www.rpgfan.com to process data from a contest the website was running, and he "rigged" said contest where I "won" "Wild Arms 3," so as a thank you, he sent me that and a Korean PC import game from Softmax. Same friend that introduced me to "Ys I & II Complete" after buying it from Falcom upon release and letting me download it, so it's cause of him that I started the fan translation projects on Falcom Ys titles. He knew all about the PC import scene.

Now, "Wild Arms 4" is an "interesting" case for me, I bought that at BestBuy when it hit the $19.99 range and it went to storage along with my other backlog'ed games. A few years ago, I knocked my DVD case down, it and most everything else fell out and had to be picked up, and as I did, I glanced at the cover, noticed it was no longer Sony that had localized it... no, it now said "XSEED Games..." It turns out when the clown Mr. Ken Berry Wrong left SquareSoft/ENIX along with its president, that was the first game they selected for localization in 2004 when they formed this new "XSEED Games" company...

Fast forward to the situation now, with my staging a boycott against the company given I was cheated/exploited/abused of thousands of my fan work hours and translation software... I told the public that I don't buy their games and never will, but sure enough, without realizing it, I have a new, sealed copy of "Wild Arms 4" in my PS2 DVD stash... That led to an idea, I remember seeing someone who regretted buying the "Legally Blonde" DVDs and slow-melting them in the microwave, so I thought when I'd get around to it, I could do that to my copy as a "F*ck-you!" Youtube protest video. :lol: I've procrastinating on it, but this reminds me I should put that video together some time. I practiced with a CD-R some time back, but it's tricky, you have to use low settings or it'll melt too fast, sparks will occur with the internal material and you'll get a black smoke with plastic particulate situation... Anyway, as you can figure, I'll be skipping that one in the series... Heh-heh. /end tangent