10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

The “What-Did-You-Buy-Today?” Thread

Started by Tatsujin, 06/15/2008, 05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wiseau

IMG
Bought a bunch of sweet xbox games at a yard sale yesterday for 16 bucks, but even better
IMG
A very nice CRT television, RF only but thankfully i still have all my adapters from when i was a kid. Oh yeah, and i've got Bomberman 93 coming some time today.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: wiseau on 06/20/2016, 11:38 AMIMG
Bought a bunch of sweet xbox games at a yard sale yesterday for 16 bucks, but even better
IMG
A very nice CRT television, RF only but thankfully i still have all my adapters from when i was a kid. Oh yeah, and i've got Bomberman 93 coming some time today.
Getting a good CRT really helps.

Never more so that most people just throw them away or you can get one for around $10-$40 depending on size.

Granted I have see one or two people locally try and sell their CRT TVS for $100 plus with comments like "great for retro games" or "vintage tv"

Those sellers make me laugh.

wiseau

About the most i've seen for a CRT here is about 35 bucks, and it's for one of those flat screen composite up front, component out back that they used to make shortly before HDTV caught on. Shame my SNES doesn't want to cooperate with it though, my copy of Raiden did something similar to what happened here, and now i'm just afraid to put anything else in there.

Gypsy

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 06/20/2016, 12:35 PM
Quote from: wiseau on 06/20/2016, 11:38 AMIMG
IMG
Getting a good CRT really helps.

Never more so that most people just throw them away or you can get one for around $10-$40 depending on size.

Granted I have see one or two people locally try and sell their CRT TVS for $100 plus with comments like "great for retro games" or "vintage tv"

Those sellers make me laugh.
Yeah I have a couple solid Sony CRTs and I got both for free. Also got a really old style Sony "hdtv" for free.

Enternal

I ditched some nasty 19" CRT that was left in an apartment I rented and picked up a trinitron from a thrift store. It's 27" and even though its beautiful, I want to downsize since its so big. Whats worse is I have two cause I fear in 10 years they are going to be a pain to source :(

esadajr

CRT is just the way to go (if you have the room for it off course). I was lucky to find a "Gamesack TV" (Toshiba 24AF43) last year.

/Ol9_MUqfrajD5...Yg8qF=w1378-h775-no
Gaming since 1985

Gypsy

Quote from: Enternal on 06/20/2016, 04:31 PMI ditched some nasty 19" CRT that was left in an apartment I rented and picked up a trinitron from a thrift store. It's 27" and even though its beautiful, I want to downsize since its so big. Whats worse is I have two cause I fear in 10 years they are going to be a pain to source :(
Yeah better to have a couple good ones that you have to store than be potentially stuck with something bad later.

This is the hd one I picked up sometime last year: http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-kv-xbr800/specs/#p=sony-wega-kv-34xbr800/

It's alright. It is quite heavy though, and getting it in the house was the tricky part.

cr8zykuban0

picked up a few import goods! really happy with the neo cd controller since ive been looking for one for a good price and finally got it!

IMG

esteban

Quote from: cr8zykuban0 on 06/21/2016, 01:30 AMpicked up a few import goods! really happy with the neo cd controller since ive been looking for one for a good price and finally got it!

IMG
Since you like vs. fighting games, I am curious about what you think of the SNK ports on PCE.

I don't know if you were particularly fond of the Neo Geo family vs. the Streetfighter family... but still, I am curious because I have very little interest in the genre myself, so I can't really judge them.

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

wildfruit

Just picked up gunhed dirt cheap
IMG

sirhcman

too lazy to post picture. Croc 1 and 2 (Gameboy Color), Godzilla (NES), and Mighty No. 9 (Xbox One)

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 06/21/2016, 02:45 PMtoo lazy to post picture. Croc 1 and 2 (Gameboy Color), Godzilla (NES), and Mighty No. 9 (Xbox One)
My copy of Mighry No 9 for the WiiU should be delivered today off Amazon.

I honestly forgot I even pre-ordered it until I got a notice yesterday it was shipped.

Gypsy

Shovel Knight for Vita.

http://www.fangamer.com/products/shovel-knight-for-ps-vita

Didn't have the other platforms it was on in physical form yet so I'm pretty happy to order it. Note it is a pre-order that requires payment up front.

NecroPhile

Nice!  I'm all over that one, Gypsy.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

bartre

same, i really enjoyed it on steam, so it'll be nice to have a not RPG on vita, lol

Medic_wheat

Quote from: Gypsy on 06/21/2016, 04:43 PMShovel Knight for Vita.

http://www.fangamer.com/products/shovel-knight-for-ps-vita

Didn't have the other platforms it was on in physical form yet so I'm pretty happy to order it. Note it is a pre-order that requires payment up front.
Is it only offered for the vita on fan gamer? 

Never mind. Took five seconds to read. Yeahs ta only on fan gamer much like retro city.

sigh. Well got the thumbs up to pre order from the wife. It's breath at she understand that it's easier and cheaper when I can pre order aomethjgb limited like this versus buying later at scalper prices.

Got to keep that Vita love coming in.

johnnykonami

I picked these up yesterday:

IMG

$5 for Dexterity and $19.99 for CV II, probably the most I've paid for a used game in a while (or a new one.)  Labels are in nice enough condition, though the store I bought it from had the nasty habit of sticking price stickers on top of the labels.  Passed on a few games I would have otherwise wanted because the risk was too great.

Quote from: Enternal on 06/19/2016, 02:40 PMTail Gaitor - 10.62 (See Below)
Nice find!  Jelly.

wiseau

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 06/21/2016, 04:16 PM
Quote from: guest on 06/21/2016, 02:45 PMtoo lazy to post picture. Croc 1 and 2 (Gameboy Color), Godzilla (NES), and Mighty No. 9 (Xbox One)

I honestly forgot I even pre-ordered it until I got a notice yesterday it was shipped.
Careful, apparently the Wii u version can softbrick your console, and seems to be the all around the buggiest version.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: wiseau on 06/21/2016, 09:03 PM
Quote from: Medic_wheat on 06/21/2016, 04:16 PM

Careful, apparently the Wii u version can softbrick your console, and seems to be the all around the buggiest version.
Of course. Of course it would.

Sigh.

Luckily I have not attempted to play it. But with the development history of this game and my having backed it. I sort of wish the game stayed in development hell.

Oh well. Maybe they will patch the game or something and the game turns out to be better hen the early reviewers have said it to be. The

Mathius

I'll be going to Walmart tomorrow to get Mighty No. 9 on Wii U. Yay!

Gypsy

IMG

Been busy this week. Soldier Blade was slow boat, so I've been anticipating it for a couple weeks now. Should get to give it a proper go this evening. Gauntlet IV was actually part of a larger lot separate from the other 3 Genny games here. All filler, but it was only $20 for the entire lot so I wasn't going to pass it up.

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: johnnykonami on 06/21/2016, 07:29 PMI picked these up yesterday:

IMG

$5 for Dexterity and $19.99 for CV II, probably the most I've paid for a used game in a while (or a new one.)  Labels are in nice enough condition, though the store I bought it from had the nasty habit of sticking price stickers on top of the labels.  Passed on a few games I would have otherwise wanted because the risk was too great.

Quote from: Enternal on 06/19/2016, 02:40 PMTail Gaitor - 10.62 (See Below)
Nice find!  Jelly.
Belmonts Revenge has the best music on the Game Boy IMHO.  Loved that game had it when it came out.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

bob

Quote from: Gypsy on 06/22/2016, 02:39 PMIMG

Been busy this week. Soldier Blade was slow boat, so I've been anticipating it for a couple weeks now. Should get to give it a proper go this evening. Gauntlet IV was actually part of a larger lot separate from the other 3 Genny games here. All filler, but it was only $20 for the entire lot so I wasn't going to pass it up.
i am a sucker for alien storm.

Gypsy

It's quite fun. I was playing earlier as the robot.

TR0N

Quote from: Gypsy on 06/22/2016, 02:39 PMIMG

The music for gauntlet iv is so outstanding  =D>
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

johnnykonami

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 06/22/2016, 07:19 PMBelmonts Revenge has the best music on the Game Boy IMHO.  Loved that game had it when it came out.
Yeah, there are some great tunes on there for sure.  It's one of those common games whose price I knew would keep climbing, I figured I'd just go for it on a whim.  Ebay showed a loose copy going for 29.99, so I guess I did alright, plus I got to see how clean the actual cartridge was first, something I've been burnt on before from Amazon/ebay/etc.  Definitely wanna do more flea marketing now, even if I'm a bit late to the party.  This place also had The Adventure for $19.99, which I used to own and hope for much cheaper since I've beaten it a couple times and know it's not as good of a game.  I've never played through Belmont's Revenge though I beat the crystal castle (or whatever it is) stage after a couple tries.  Passwords are a pain but it's still cool I can continue another day either way.

TheClash603

Castlevania 1 and 2 got many hours of play from me when I was a kid, great games.

wilykat

Seny Wega TV model KD-27FS170.  Has 3 sets of input: composite+S-video, component, and front composite only.  Works.  One problem: I don't have a place to put it.  I am quite attached to my Vizio LCD TV (which works with everything but the 2600, and sadly doesn't support 240 on component) and I don't have any room! I suppose I could evict the old 13" Commodore monitor, get RGB to Component converter for my C128D, and set the TV on top of my C128D although I don't know if the 30 year old metal box was ever rated to hold a 100-lbs CRT TV.

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: wilykat on 06/23/2016, 05:02 PMSeny Wega TV model KD-27FS170.  Has 3 sets of input: composite+S-video, component, and front composite only.  Works.  One problem: I don't have a place to put it.  I am quite attached to my Vizio LCD TV (which works with everything but the 2600, and sadly doesn't support 240 on component) and I don't have any room! I suppose I could evict the old 13" Commodore monitor, get RGB to Component converter for my C128D, and set the TV on top of my C128D although I don't know if the 30 year old metal box was ever rated to hold a 100-lbs CRT TV.
That sucks that it doesn't take 240P via component.  you really need that.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

Izod1337

IMG

Today I got my PC Engine Duo R! First off I gotta thank jtucci31 for selling the console to me and throwing in 5 games along with the console! It is modded as well so I can use RGB and S-Video.

To my surprise he included War of the Dead which is a game I've been wanting to play ever since I saw it. He also through in Legend of Xanadu, NHK, and burnt copies of Steam Hearts and Ys IV which is just excellent. I am thankful for the extras! The Metamor Jupiter was from a purchase from a while ago for cheap. This is the start of my PCE gaming and I know I'mma have some fun with it!  :mrgreen:

bob

Quote from: Izod1337 on 06/24/2016, 07:23 PMIMG
Today I got my PC Engine Duo R! First off I gotta thank jtucci31 for selling the console to me and throwing in 5 games along with the console! It is modded as well so I can use RGB and S-Video.
you really shouldnt play it until you get a full set of games.  dont forget you need the boxes.

wildfruit

Treated myself while I'm laid up for a couple weeks.

IMG

Medic_wheat

Quote from: wildfruit on 06/26/2016, 08:33 AMTreated myself while I'm laid up for a couple weeks.

IMG
Did you get hurt ?

wildfruit

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 06/26/2016, 11:27 AMDid you get hurt ?
Knocked out

Quote from: wildfruit on 06/25/2016, 06:42 PM"Knocked Out"

So I had a metal ring and wire put in my hand today. The surgeon recommended general anaesthetic as he would be drilling a lot and that it might make me a bit uneasy under only a local. I agreed to this. ...

nectarsis

about a month and a half ago, the old ladies car decided it didn't like its tranny anymore...so I upgraded her to a 2014 Camry  ](*,) ](*,)

i180.photobucket.com/albums/x285/nectarsis/FB_IMG_1463485197613_zpsrnr65bff.jpg
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

NecroPhile

Your old lady has a nice beard.  :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

nectarsis

Quote from: guest on 06/27/2016, 04:50 PMYour old lady has a nice beard.  :mrgreen:
fuck if she gets to drive it first ;) lol
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

NightWolve

From Walmart a few days ago on sale @ $19.99. My way of saying good-bye to Konami as we once knew it. Feel a little bad though which I didn't notice at the time, but this reprint was apparently done to excise Hideo Kojima's name from the cover and elsewhere in Orwellian fashion (know the feeling, heh)...

IMG

Compare to previous cover versions with "A Hideo Kojima Game":

IMG

Digi.k

some random stuffs and hong kong dvds

if your wii is starved of jrpg action check out the Tokyo Mirage Sessions (could those initials be ShinMegamiTen) ?

/6d6765e9-179f-4405-bbb2-b61e97ce6e30.jpg

synbiosfan

I picked up a GB Boy and added a GB Everdrive.   Great combo!

VenomMacbeth

Some of my latest purchases:

PS1:
Castlevania SotN
Gundam Battle Assault 2
Blood Omen

PS2:
Beyond Good and Evil
Half-Life
Zone of the Enders (LOVING this one!)

N64 Castlevania

NES Shadow of the Ninja

Saturn Alien Trilogy
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

EvilEvoIX

Some decent pick-ups from Virginia this past weekend.  I went to go see Guns N Roses and on the way back stopped into Sage Mantis and then 2nd and Charles.  Picked up Magic Drop III for the MVS.  Looks and runs great and a wonderful 2 player puzzler.  Dinosaurs For Hire is a good one from 93 and has all that 90's Self-Aware "tude" we all know and love.  If you start the game it starts you right at a later boss and if you actually beat it the game just says it's kidding and begins at the beginning.

IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMGIMGIMG

jtucci31

Yeah Magical Drop 3 is a great game, nice MVS cart to have for single and head-to-head action

TR0N

Quote from: guest on 06/29/2016, 12:45 AMYeah Magical Drop 3 is a great game, nice MVS cart to have for single and head-to-head action
Agreed MD3 is the most addictive puzzle game i've ever played.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Medic_wheat

I just bought a traffic ticket for not making a complete stop when exiting a private parking lot. Oh yeah!  That's a $170-$200 dollar ticket!

Sigh. Was so hoping the cop would just give me a WARRNING. But I guess he needed to hit a monthly quota lol. I Kid I kid. Although it would have been nice to have been given a warrning. Just saying.

ToyMachine78

Warning! Here comes your ticket!

NightWolve

That's some bullshit, seems there's always enough dick cops for that. I did get let off once of all the times, but if they take the trouble to stop you, yeah, you're pretty much gonna get a ticket... Then there are the REAL dicks like this f--ker right here who actually caused the driver (Sandra Bland) to switch lanes to get out of his way, but she forgot to signal... He had no probable cause justification to turn the situation into an arrest, but his "feelings" got hurt - she just broke the unwritten rule about not disrespecting ahole cops on a power trip and it wound up costing her her life...

johnnykonami

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 06/29/2016, 07:24 PMI just bought a traffic ticket for not making a complete stop when exiting a private parking lot. Oh yeah!  That's a $170-$200 dollar ticket!

Sigh. Was so hoping the cop would just give me a WARRNING. But I guess he needed to hit a monthly quota lol. I Kid I kid. Although it would have been nice to have been given a warrning. Just saying.
You should flaunt some kinda thing that shows you served in your car somewhere, may not work, but I bet it might on some of those guys.

Edit:  Also picked up Downwell and Sanctuary RPG: Black Edition on Steam today for peanuts.  A couple days ago I also got Pinball Arcade season 3 and Lakeview Cabin Collection.  Pretty happy with all of them.

Downwell:

Japanese developed action game, you drop down a well and shoot things with your rocketboots.  There's shops with upgrades and you try to get as far as you can.

IMG

Sanctuary RPG:

ASCII character based RPG, looks pretty slick to me.  I love stuff like this.

IMG

Lakeview Cabin Collection:

Spent the most time on this one so far, I love it though.  Basically little 70's-80's horror movie vignettes where you have to solve puzzles and run away from the killers.  If you're a fan of this stuff it is totally worth the sale price of $2.49.

IMG

Medic_wheat

Quote from: NightWolve on 06/29/2016, 09:17 PMThat's some bullshit, seems there's always enough dick cops for that. I did get let off once of all the times, but if they take the trouble to stop you, yeah, you're pretty much gonna get a ticket... Then there are the REAL dicks like this f--ker right here who actually caused the driver (Sandra Bland) to switch lanes to get out of his way, but she forgot to signal... He had no probable cause justification to turn the situation into an arrest, but his "feelings" got hurt - she just broke the unwritten rule about not disrespecting ahole cops on a power trip and it wound up costing her her life...
Naw the cop was just doing his job. I am more upset that I made a stupid mistake that lead to a ticket. The cop was in the right. I guess I had hoped since I was polite and cooperative he would just give me a warrning to be more careful about making a complete stop when leaving a parking lot. Considering the street I got on had a red light and there was no traffic incoming. He just happened to see me do a rolling stop and turned on the right from a stop light to stop me. Honestly when he did stop me I wasn't even sure what I had done. Would have been nice if he said what I did before disappearing and reappearing with a ticket all written out. Must have been a while since I have gotten a ticket. I don't remember cops asking for work numbers work addresses and where you work when writing a ticket. Seemed odd.

The cop in the video you posted. Meh. At most it seems like he should have kept his cool with the yelling and opening the door. I could be wrong but at the point where he opened the door to remove the motorist might have been tossing the line. When she refused to follow the orders give to her is when I would have just called it in requested my partner and done what ever team up deescalation I might have been trained to do.

The thing is he could tell she was pissed about being stopped. So his asking was a loaded question. If he was just asking to let her vent then he should have just sucked it up let her vent her pissy attitude and said well here is your ticket and ended it. But instead he took it personal and escalated an already tense situation

However, on a personal note I HATE it when cops come up behind me when driving speeding up making me feel as thought I am slowing them down for going the speed limit. I usually move over if possible or hope they just pass me up as them speeding up for no apparent reason makes me feel uneasy. Or it could be having done muiltable combat convoys and thinking even if just for a moment it's a suicide bomber. As silly as it might sound.

NightWolve

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 06/29/2016, 10:01 PMThe cop in the video you posted. Meh. At most it seems like he should have kept his cool with the yelling and opening the door. I could be wrong but at the point where he opened the door to remove the motorist might have been tossing the line. When she refused to follow the orders give to her is when I would have just called it in requested my partner and done what ever team up deescalation I might have been trained to do.

The thing is he could tell she was pissed about being stopped. So his asking was a loaded question. If he was just asking to let her vent then he should have just sucked it up let her vent her pissy attitude and said well here is your ticket and ended it. But instead he took it personal and escalated an already tense situation
Yeah, I think we mostly agree on that. Changing lanes without signaling is a traffic offense that's punished by a fine, not arrest. Now if you fail to produce a driver's license, registration and insurance, etc. during a stop which is all that you're legally required to do, that could lead to an arrest as required at times by the law. But a citizen smoking a legal cigarette in their car, which is their property, is not an arrestable offense! His bullshit charge was "resisting arrest" but for what ? He never had probable cause for any kind of criminal act in that exchage to justify use of arresting powers by law! Anyway, it offers the obvious point, as tempting as it is, it's not in your interest to smart off to a cop even when you're in the right (which she was as far as her rights and smoking in her car).