PC Engine-FX Picture Thread (Formerly "Mugs")

Started by Ninja Spirit, 09/02/2005, 07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

esteban

I didn't have anything better on my laptop than this old photo. Maybe next time...

There is a train museum down the road... to raise money they have "Santa Rides" and "Easter Bunny Rides". We bought the cheapest tickets for the Santa Ride this past Xmas... and we got the least-appealing car (not surprisingly). It was kool, even though my daughter was frightened by Mr. Klawz:
IMG
The Easter Bunny, ironically, creeped me out. Maybe if Kitsunexus was there, he could have provided me emotional support ( !!! ) :).

Also, wouldn't it be great to see Zigfried/Emerald Rocker, Runin, Nightwolve, Mr. Helgeson, etc. post their pictures? Ha!
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

guyjin

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/27/2007, 05:47 AMIf you want cheap, get a NeoGeo CD unit.  Otherwise get a job!
More like another job.   :P

PCEngineHell

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/27/2007, 12:53 AM
Quote from: PCEngineHellThe AES system does look great,but a 2-Slot stomps it in functionality with the 2 slots
Only one game runs at a time, so more than one slot = useless to me.

Quote from: PCEngineHell2 ear phone out jacks
Why would you need more than one?

Quote from: PCEngineHellled credit counter
Not sure why this would appeal to anyone.

Quote from: PCEngineHellstereo speaker out
The AES has this right on the front middle of the console.  Yes, you can even plug headphones into it.  On eBay I see modded AES's with RCA jacks listed as having "true stereo output!!!!1!!" as if the headphone jack is "fake stereo".  My guess is that the modders are retarded, or perhaps they only expect to sell their systems to retarded people who would buy into such terminology.  I will concede that having all of the wires come from the back of the console is better than some coming from the back and some coming from the front.

Quote from: PCEngineHelland memory card port
Believe it or not, the AES has this wonderful and oh-so-highly-useful feature as well.  I can't imagine using a Neo Geo of any kind without a memory card.  It just adds SOOO MUCH to the game!

Quote from: PCEngineHelland dip support.
You mean dips can't play the AES?  I take that as a compliment!
Well Joe,the 2 slot will do stereo off the jamma port,which with the 2 ear phone jacks gives you more audio outputs at once. If you knock the stereo out of jamma to line level you can run each audio out to a individual speaker set,as I sometimes do,so I can have more subs providing bass,without sharing a audio line with a lame y-cable.

I prefer having dip switch available. Changing options by it is better to me then on the AES,which is more basic and dependent on the game sometimes. The LED credit counter thing is ok. Some people do special set ups using them. Yes the AES has 1 ear phone jack,and a memory card port. I was pointing out that the 2 Slot had 2 earphone jacks instead of 1 and also has the memory card port unlike other MVS hardware,so there is no reason for people to whine about not being able to use a jeida spec memory card. I never said the AES didn't have them,I am just stating that the 2 slot does also,and more.

The Neo CD is not the best solution to play the games. The AES is more of a collectors thing. And if you don't like mods,then as a stand alone unit it sucks with its shoddy composite out,only 1 stereo out option via the earphone jack,and on most games a 3 credit system which is really gay. To really enjoy a AES all the way you have to get it fully modded. For the price of  a fully modded AES you can just as easily buy and consolize a 2 slot. Then you will start saving cash on the games.

You never sound like a heavy Neo user anyway,so I dont think any specific solution will help you more then the other,as you have a small library and sound more like you have it around just to say you do and so you can play the few titles you do like on the system. With me most of my gaming is done on the Neo,not much else these days other then with other arcade pcbs.

NecroPhile

MVS is the way to go (1 slot, 2 slot, 38 slot - it's all good).  Like M.H. said - if you're going to seriously collect games, you'll save cash by going MVS.  There are no functional gains with AES systems, except empty wallets.

:---)  NeoGeo CD is the best option of all.  You can get a lot of work done during load times (you know - mow the lawn, take a nap, rub one out, or whatever).
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

guyjin

Wow, are the load times on the neo CD really that bad?

PCEngineHell

Depending on the game they can be. Some of the latter games are missing animation frames too. The best stuff to buy for the system are the early titles,if you want low load times.

NecroPhile

Well..... I might be exaggerating.....  just a little bit.  A single speed drive equals 150KB per second and a NeoGeo CD has a total of 7MB of memory, so a little math gives you 48 seconds of loading time plus any seek time.  Of course, this is a worst case scenario and not all games are horribly slow to load.

Joe Redifer

The MVS has absolutely no functional advantage for me.  In fact I've never seen one with a standard 8-pin DIN for RGB, so I'd have to have it modded for that if I had one.  No RGB=no sale.  It is worth owning a Neo Geo just for Magician Lord.  I don't like SNK-style fighting games, though.

PCEngineHell

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/27/2007, 02:29 PMThe MVS has absolutely no functional advantage for me.  In fact I've never seen one with a standard 8-pin DIN for RGB, so I'd have to have it modded for that if I had one.  No RGB=no sale.  It is worth owning a Neo Geo just for Magician Lord.  I don't like SNK-style fighting games, though.
Yea,you can mod one to have it,I mean,the jamma area has RGB out. You tap it off that to the 8-pin din. But also,yea I figured as much,that you only have a system for a few titles. Ive beaten Magician Lord so many times I refuse to buy it anymore. I just got burned out on it. I think I have had it probably 6 times over the past 9 years, so I just dont enjoy playing it anymore. Its still a bad ass game,esp for people who are new to it,I am just burned out on it is all.

Joe Redifer

QuoteIve beaten Magician Lord so many times I refuse to buy it anymore.
Really?  Have you tried only buying it once?  That's what I did.  It was super-cheap, too.  No need to buy it 9 times.  No game is that good.  How much does Neo Drift Out on the MVS usually run for?

Hobo Xiphas

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/27/2007, 05:47 AMIf you want cheap, get a NeoGeo CD unit.  Otherwise get a job!
Tell that to Twinkle Star Sprites and Metal Slug for Neo CD :(

Quote from: guest on 04/27/2007, 01:58 PMA single speed drive equals 150KB per second and a NeoGeo CD has a total of 7MB of memory, so a little math gives you 48 seconds of loading time plus any seek time.
That just can't be right.  Anyone who has played Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 for NCD knows you have enough time to make a sandwich between games.  I swear that it is 3 minutes or so.

Also, here is a mug to get this thread back on topic: /f81bxl1.jpg

NecroPhile

Poor R2-D2, somebody cut his top off and bent his robowang into a handle.  :(

Quote from: Xiphas on 04/27/2007, 03:29 PMThat just can't be right.  Anyone who has played Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 for NCD knows you have enough time to make a sandwich between games.  I swear that it is 3 minutes or so.
Agreed - 48 seconds would be for filling ram from only one track.  If it has to read a few different spots on the disc, it's sammy time.

PCEngineHell

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/27/2007, 02:55 PM
QuoteIve beaten Magician Lord so many times I refuse to buy it anymore.
Really?  Have you tried only buying it once?  That's what I did.  It was super-cheap, too.  No need to buy it 9 times.  No game is that good.  How much does Neo Drift Out on the MVS usually run for?
I would pick it up every time I got a AES,and I have had it on MVS twice. I would play it,beat it,get bored of it,and sell it. Now I no longer wish to get it again. Yea,I know its cheap,around 30-40 bucks for either AES or MVS,but I dont get any thrills from playing it these days.

Joe Redifer

That's fine, but I usually keep games once I have them.  No need to sell them.  I've seen Magician Lord go for about $24 or so brand new.  And about Neo Drift Out.  How much for MVS version?

PCEngineHell

I have no idea on that one Joe. It tends to be a rarer MVS cart,even though its just a average overhead driver by Visco. I saw it sell  a few months back for around 60 bucks on ebay. That was for the cart only. A complete kit in good condition will fetch alot  more.

Seldane

A portrait of me. :o

/thegirl1150474492wy6.png
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

Kitsunexus

Quote from: guest on 04/27/2007, 01:58 PMWell..... I might be exaggerating.....  just a little bit.  A single speed drive equals 150KB per second and a NeoGeo CD has a total of 7MB of memory, so a little math gives you 48 seconds of loading time plus any seek time.  Of course, this is a worst case scenario and not all games are horribly slow to load.
This is wrong, because it's assuming that all games do the same things with the hardware, and that all hardware is in the same condition.

Anyway, you can take certain PC CD-ROM drives and plug them into a Saturn to get shorter loading times...why can't you do this with a NeoCD?
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

PCEngineHell

Quote from: Kitsunexus on 04/27/2007, 08:26 PM
Quote from: guest on 04/27/2007, 01:58 PMWell..... I might be exaggerating.....  just a little bit.  A single speed drive equals 150KB per second and a NeoGeo CD has a total of 7MB of memory, so a little math gives you 48 seconds of loading time plus any seek time.  Of course, this is a worst case scenario and not all games are horribly slow to load.
This is wrong, because it's assuming that all games do the same things with the hardware, and that all hardware is in the same condition.

Anyway, you can take certain PC CD-ROM drives and plug them into a Saturn to get shorter loading times...why can't you do this with a NeoCD?
I wasn't aware you could do this with the Saturn. Can you post a link to a thread about this showing its possible and it works.

termis

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 04/27/2007, 08:31 PM
Quote from: Kitsunexus on 04/27/2007, 08:26 PMAnyway, you can take certain PC CD-ROM drives and plug them into a Saturn to get shorter loading times...why can't you do this with a NeoCD?
I wasn't aware you could do this with the Saturn. Can you post a link to a thread about this showing its possible and it works.
Yeah, I'd be all over that too.  Saturn is one of my favorite systems to hack away at.  Do let us know if you can find that info somewhere.

Hobo Xiphas

Quote from: Seldane on 04/27/2007, 08:01 PMA portrait of me. :o
Were you designed by that Amano guy?

Kitsunexus

I can't find the site, but way back when, there was a site that said you could take a certain CD-ROM drive (it was a Hitachi, I think) and you would open your Saturn, pull out it's drive cord from it's jumper, put the PC CD-ROM's cord into the jumper and you could use the drive.

Why it's so damn hard to find now is a mystery, but I'm still looking for it...

PCEngineHell

Well keep looking. The problem with this is there are alot of revisions of the Saturn,that use different drives from JVC and Sanyo and hook up a tad different,so even if this is a real swap,it would only work on a certain revision most likely. I heard of Massystems tech guy doing something like this long ago,but I don't know the details on it,or what all he did or what all he used,but the rumor was he was able to replace a Neo Cd systems laser with a Saturns. I am doubtful these days of this being legit,but anyone who cares could always inquire to Massystems.com about it.

Kitsunexus

I'm going to ask some people who would know for sure: http://www.assemblergames.com/

offsidewing

Here's the only digital pic of me without someone else in it.  And yes, I put my teeth in for the pic...

IMG

Seldane

Quote from: Xiphas on 04/27/2007, 09:36 PM
Quote from: Seldane on 04/27/2007, 08:01 PMA portrait of me. :o
Were you designed by that Amano guy?
:( Nobody's heard that silly story I take it. Look at the pic for five minutes and die, blah blah blah. :P
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG

Kitsunexus

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 04/27/2007, 10:06 PMWell keep looking. The problem with this is there are alot of revisions of the Saturn,that use different drives from JVC and Sanyo and hook up a tad different,so even if this is a real swap,it would only work on a certain revision most likely. I heard of Massystems tech guy doing something like this long ago,but I don't know the details on it,or what all he did or what all he used,but the rumor was he was able to replace a Neo Cd systems laser with a Saturns. I am doubtful these days of this being legit,but anyone who cares could always inquire to Massystems.com about it.
Alright, here is what the Assembler guys told me:

Quote from: la-li-lu-le-loI can't positively confirm or deny that claim, but it seems plausible. I know that Saturn CD drives are highly interchangable, as I've transferred one from a US Saturn to a Japanese Saturn once, and I think they are quite similar if not exactly the same as regular PC drives.
Quote from: retroErrr, no. The Saturn has its own controller, nothing like IDE. It would take a great deal of doing. And, as has been said with ALL consoles, swapping out the drive for a faster one is pointless, as the rest of the hardware probably can't keep up with the faster transfer speeds. Even if you did get it to work, it is doubtful you would see any increase in read times.

Also, I doubt that a PC drive is going to be able to read the protection ring!
Quote from: JamtexI'm sure I saw that webpage too, I believe it was a JVC laptop drive that you had to remove from the case and mount to the Saturn (mark 2 I believe) it required two extra wires to be soldered but it could use the standard ribbon connector. As it was a 4x drive it did speed up access quite a bit (but not 4x more like 2.5x to 3x speed), as you say the webpage has gone and I can't find it for love or money now.
That Jamtex guy definitely saw the same webpage as me, but if retro is right, then it's DEFINITELY a hoax. However, la-li-lu-le-lo has a point about drives being transferable, when I was Googling for that page I found a LOT of pages on how to swap one Saturn drive with another. So who knows?

PCEngineHell

That more or less makes you guys master of the obvious though :P
As long as the build type is the same,as in same model jap or usa and same cd drive type,yea you can. The early models all used JVC drives. The latter used a different make Sanyo drive,which from what I remember will not work on the first 2 Saturn revisions made for the JVC drives. I remember it only working with the revised systems with round buttons and crunched pcbs.

Kitsunexus

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 04/29/2007, 05:36 PMThat more or less makes you guys master of the obvious though :P
As long as the build type is the same,as in same model jap or usa and same cd drive type,yea you can. The early models all used JVC drives. The latter used a different make Sanyo drive,which from what I remember will not work on the first 2 Saturn revisions made for the JVC drives. I remember it only working with the revised systems with round buttons and crunched pcbs.
Yeah, but that one dude said he also saw that site with the PC drive. That's all that matters. I could care less about swapping console drives, no speed bost. But the PC Drive, that's a different story...

Kitsunexus

New reply!

Quote from: AlchyThe Saturn drive apparatus itself is unlikely to be that fundamentally different from a standard CD drive, although there'd certainly be custom firmware in there. Since CD drives fluctuate in response time and read speed, I'd imagine that if you did get a faster drive working in there, games would take advantage of the increased read speed.
Also, here's the thread: http://assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=193659

PCEngineHell

Quote from: Kitsunexus on 04/29/2007, 06:07 PMNew reply!

Quote from: AlchyThe Saturn drive apparatus itself is unlikely to be that fundamentally different from a standard CD drive, although there'd certainly be custom firmware in there. Since CD drives fluctuate in response time and read speed, I'd imagine that if you did get a faster drive working in there, games would take advantage of the increased read speed.
Also, here's the thread: http://assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=193659
Honestly,none of this really matters unless actual proof is posted. I think it would be possible myself,but I know for a fact it will require modification to whatever drive assembly  you can find that will even allow the swap. All in all,its not worth it. The Saturn already had good load times anyway.

If it was possible it would only be useful if you could use a current type of cd drive,and if there was at least a few types that would work. Otherwise youd be stuck trying to hunt down a certain one from 1996-98,which would be a terrible experience in its own right. This would also mean this swap would only be  really useful to someone wanting the slight speed increase from a better made drive. As a fix for a dead drive it would be silly because you could just buy another Saturn deck.

Kitsunexus

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 04/30/2007, 12:06 AMThis would also mean this swap would only be  really useful to someone wanting the slight speed increase from a better made drive.
That's why I want it.

NecroPhile

Quote from: Kitsunexus on 04/27/2007, 08:26 PM
Quote from: NecroPhile on 04/27/2007, 01:58 PMWell..... I might be exaggerating.....  just a little bit.  A single speed drive equals 150KB per second and a NeoGeo CD has a total of 7MB of memory, so a little math gives you 48 seconds of loading time plus any seek time.  Of course, this is a worst case scenario and not all games are horribly slow to load.

I'm not a tech-know-it-all, but I think that you are wrong.  CD-ROM transfer rates are industry standard (1x = 150KB/second, 2x = 300KB/second, etc.), so there shouldn't be many differences between different drives (other than slight manufacturing tolerances).  Drives are regulated by onboard controllers and not by the games, so all games would have the same transfer rates.  On the other hand, if a game didn't utilize all of the memory, it would load quicker; and if a game loads from many different tracks, it will take even longer.

I don't see the point of arguing load times on damage or worn out hardware, so I'll concede that a dead drive would have infinite load times.  :wink:

Seldane

Well, the 1X, 2X, 52X, etc are the max transfer rates. They are definitely not constant, and usually  not that precise either. My 48X drive can transfer data at 52X (including some more), for example.
IMG

NecroPhile

That's true for transfer rates on newer drives (constant angular velocity), but originally the transfer rates were more or less constant across the entire disc (constant linear velocity).  CLV drives would vary the RPM to maintain a given transfer rate from the inner portion of the disc to the outer portion.  CAV drives will maintain one speed regardless of track location, so that outer areas of the disc have higher transfer rates than the inner areas.  In any case, I seriously doubt that there are huge variations in load times between different NeoGeo CD models - just as there is little difference between different Duos and TG-CDs.

Joe Redifer

More mugs.  MUGS!!!!!

Kitsunexus

Seldane

I do too.

Here's another portait of me by the way: /pikachues6.jpg
IMG

Kitsunexus

Joe Redifer

Pokemon sucks ass.  People who like Pokemon do not count as real human beings.

Kitsunexus

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/30/2007, 08:16 PMPokemon sucks ass.  People who like Pokemon do not count as real human beings.
Well, I guess that suits me just fine then... ;)

esteban

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/30/2007, 08:16 PMPokemon sucks ass.  People who like Pokemon do not count as real human beings.
I have never seen nor played Pokemon stuff. No lie. Sure, I've seen like 10 seconds of the cartoon whilst flipping through televsion channels over the years, but that's about it. I asked my brother what it was about this past weekend. Yu Gi Go (sp?) is a an even bigger mystery to me. My brother couldn't help demystify Yu Gi Go, although he helped a tiny bit with Pokemon (he was pretty clueless on both).
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

GUTS

I've never played the games, but the Pokemon cartoon used to be pretty funny back in the day.   I haven't watched it in years, but the first 50 or so episodes were really good.

Kitsunexus

Quote from: stevek666 on 04/30/2007, 09:56 PMYu Gi Go (sp?) is a an even bigger mystery to me.
Yu-Gi-Oh is about this kid, Yugi, who finds an artifact that has an Egyptian pharaoh's spirit in it. Whenever he needs to call upon this spirit, his personality and voice change completely.

There's seven of these bastard artifacts, and they can destroy the universe in the wrong hands, so Yugi and his annoying-ass friends have to find them all. The bad guy of the first season, Pegasus (who is by all admittance the coolest character in the show and the only thing done right) wants all the pieces as well, so he holds a Duel Master (a popular card game played out on holographic game decks) tournament at his estate. Yugi faces the other competitors, and eventually pseudo-teams up with his rival, Seto Kaiba (the programmer of the Duel Master systems).

So yeah, it's another cash-in animé. At least Pokémon had some class.

The saddest thing of all is that it's a Konami product. I used to be pissed that Konami lost it's signature double wave logo, but after Yu-Gi-Oh, I understood. Konami doesn't live up to that logo anymore.

At least there's some Gradius cards...

Quote from: GUTS on 04/30/2007, 10:14 PMI've never played the games, but the Pokemon cartoon used to be pretty funny back in the day.   I haven't watched it in years, but the first 50 or so episodes were really good.
Yeah the first season was great. Anything after the second season is SHIT.

Seldane

I like Pokemon. The games (in particular), the anime ... well, that's it. I used to watch the first anime back when it was new (here) and I liked it. It's one of the few animes I've actually watched. Never saw the whole thing though.
IMG

nat

Here's a picture of me chugging a beer at a Halloween party last year. Yes, I am in costume. No, I don't normally wear purple and marigold shirts sporting a nametag.

IMG

Here's an older pic from my Dad's wedding. You can see my 16 year old cousin in the background looking like he wants to do something extremely creepy to the photographer.

IMG

Tatsujin

here some older and newer mugs of mine:

/normal060eq3.jpg
at a sony PS2 event years ago in zürich. just found the picture on my HD and laught at again.

lightspeed.ch/galleries/2004.11.27_pce_offline/bigimages/
dsc01818.jpg

at our first and unfortunatelly only swiss PC Engine offline meeting back in 2004 (with two of my old pce pals)

/bazaaruyx5.jpg
at an izakaya after buying my bazaaru de gozaaru no geemu de gozaaru^-^

/p1000684smalluv2.jpg
daibouken-bbq last summer

/img4790ex0.jpg
company boardingday this winter (the 4th time on a board)

/smallcimg0029kk8.jpg
recently at an izakaya (after some beers and a couple glas of whisky)
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

MrFulci

Here's a mug that I have nearby (bottle for scale):

i177.photobucket . com/albums/w201/mrfulci/Mug/500_Img_2345.jpg

Never drank from it, it's used as a collection reservoir for trinkets. That bottle I will probably empty this evening, however.

The "mug" joke had been done, however, I just HAD to share my mug!

Nat, what was teh costume of?
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

Kitsunexus

Quote from: MrFulci on 05/07/2007, 10:07 AMHere's a mug that I have nearby (bottle for scale):

(Pac-Man mug sitting by a bottle of alchohol)

Never drank from it, it's used as a collection reservoir for trinkets. That bottle I will probably empty this evening, however.
I ROFL'd at the last line. I bet that mug is $800+ on eBay, btw...  =P~

nat

Quote from: MrFulci on 05/07/2007, 10:07 AMNat, what was teh costume of?
It's kind of obscure, actually. Do you know of Kevin Smith, or more specifically, have you seen the movie "Clerks" or "Clerks II"? (Some of his other movies include Chasing Amy, Dogma, Jersey Girl, etc...)

I was dressed as the character Randal from the Clerks movies. You can't really read the nametag in that picture but it reflects this as well.

Kitsunexus

Clerks is as obscure as the sky is blue (on a nice day)... ¬_¬