OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Game Sack

Started by Joe Redifer, 07/25/2011, 05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathius

Game Sack mini-infomercial

Samurai Ghost

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

DragonmasterDan

I like the 1993 EGM video game buyers guide on Joe's desk.
--DragonmasterDan

Joe Redifer

nat

Why is it some YouTube videos are unable to load fast enough to avoid buffering every 6 seconds? This is the first time I've had this problem with a GameSack episode, but I've had it before with other stuff. No, it's not my connection, I have Comcast super-duper-explosive high speed broadband. It's something within YouTube that causes it, and it's only certain videos (but always the same ones).

Joe Redifer

This one doesn't do it for me.  Could be your local Comcast Youtube cache not catching up or some shit.

Samurai Ghost

Enjoyed this episode, especially with the Alex Kidd stuff. I've never played Alex Kidd in Shinobi World and as a huge Shinobi fan I'm off to buy a copy right now. Damn you Game Sack!! Spending all of my money!!

Also, if you are talking about games that never left Japan, Megumi Rescue for the Mark III/SMS is a freaking awesome game. You need the paddle controller to play it, but I'd say it's worth picking up just for this one. Been so addicted to it lately. You are an acrobat saving people from a burning building with cheerful music playing in the background, but what's great is that if you aren't fast enough the people fall to their deaths, turning into skeletons below, but as long as you survive it just means a slightly lower score for you. And also what's funny is how they decide the point value of the various people you save. An old lady, gangster, or junior high school student are only worth 100 points each, where as aerobics instructors, nurses, sumo wrestlers, or even cats are worth far more. So when you have to choose between two people falling to their gory deaths, you have to consider who is a more valuable human being. Interesting social commentary! Plus all of the stages are different, the difficulty ramps up perfectly, there are tons of different items to help you along the way, and the colorful graphics are great. One of my favorite Mark III exclusives!

Mathius

Super Mario World was the first game I played on the SNES. But, Actraiser was the first game for the system I fell in love with! I got it shortly after its release and I still have my original copy. Wish I still had my box and manual though.

Joe Redifer

I greatly dislike Megumi Rescue.  It has so many gameplay flaws.  Maybe if I were older and gaming during the Colecovision days I could appreciate it more.  Game MUST be played on MUTE.  Really interesting that you mentioned it, though.

Samurai Ghost

I dunno, I just found it to be a really fun little game, but the paddle control really makes it for me. The control is spot on and once you figure out the physics it's pretty easy to control where you go. I don't mind the music/sounds that much, and think they are pretty funny actually. Cleared the game last night, and it's pretty damn easy if you abuse the fact that you can mine for items/1-ups but just spamming one of the lower windows. The last couple levels are awesome though! Definitely not a complicated game, but the strange violence mixed with the cheery atmosphere is the main reason I like it.

esteban

Quote from: Samurai Ghost on 03/18/2012, 11:54 PMBeen so addicted to it lately. You are an acrobat saving people from a burning building with cheerful music playing in the background, but what's great is that if you aren't fast enough the people fall to their deaths, turning into skeletons below, but as long as you survive it just means a slightly lower score for you. And also what's funny is how they decide the point value of the various people you save. An old lady, gangster, or junior high school student are only worth 100 points each, where as aerobics instructors, nurses, sumo wrestlers, or even cats are worth far more. So when you have to choose between two people falling to their gory deaths, you have to consider who is a more valuable human being. Interesting social commentary! Plus all of the stages are different, the difficulty ramps up perfectly, there are tons of different items to help you along the way, and the colorful graphics are great. One of my favorite Mark III exclusives!
IMG Cook has always valued cats over humans.

Joe Redifer

I want to like it.  I was thrown off by the vertical scrolling, can't see your dudes.  And I can't go to the edge of the screen otherwise I pop out the other side.  And that noise when the stage starts pretty much destroyed my neighborhood.  I did get to stage 3 yesterday but now I can't get past stage 2.  My dude just keeps bouncing and bouncing and I can't get his ass over to the last hostage.

Samurai Ghost

Well that's kind of the challenge, you have to keep a mental note of where you dudes are and be ready to catch your hero when he comes down. There's actually a little radar on the right side of the screen that tells you where they are, but I've never used it. It gets even tougher in the later stages when the buildings are much higher,the speed doubles, and people are falling one after another. You sort of enter this zen matrix mode where you are catching people without even seeing what you are doing (you can tell by the sound effects). But generally the best strategy is to let them die and just concentrating on surviving yourself. Eventually you'll get better at controlling your dude. Depending on which pixel he hits on your net he will fly at a certain angle in the opposite direction, or if you have the big net, straight up, which is very useful. Popping out the other side when you go to the edge is weird though. Doesn't happen on my copy. Maybe it has to do with your controller? Weird.

There are helicopter and key items hidden in specific locations. If you can get the key or the helicopter (which you have to catch when it comes) the stage will end, and you will go to a bonus stage if you get the 'choppa (with a possibility of a 1up). Also if you can get the net upgrade (looks like a plate) you will get a bigger net which helps a lot. Haven't found many of the key/heli locations after stage 15 yet (there are 30 stages in all) but I'm thinking about writing a FAQ for this game as I've made a note of lot of their locations.

For example, there is a copter on the second window from the left and in the very middle in very top row in stage 1 (you have to save the people first), a key on the very left of the top in stage 2, a copter one from the right in the top row in stage 3, a key in the middle of the top row on stage 4, etc.

But yeah, I agree the opening/ending siren sounds are quite annoying. But I love the sound effect for bodies hitting the street, so it kind of balances out.

esteban

Quote from: Samurai Ghost on 03/20/2012, 06:25 AMWell that's kind of the challenge, you have to keep a mental note of where you dudes are and be ready to catch your hero when he comes down. There's actually a little radar on the right side of the screen that tells you where they are, but I've never used it. It gets even tougher in the later stages when the buildings are much higher,the speed doubles, and people are falling one after another. You sort of enter this zen matrix mode where you are catching people without even seeing what you are doing (you can tell by the sound effects). But generally the best strategy is to let them die and just concentrating on surviving yourself. Eventually you'll get better at controlling your dude. Depending on which pixel he hits on your net he will fly at a certain angle in the opposite direction, or if you have the big net, straight up, which is very useful. Popping out the other side when you go to the edge is weird though. Doesn't happen on my copy. Maybe it has to do with your controller? Weird.

There are helicopter and key items hidden in specific locations. If you can get the key or the helicopter (which you have to catch when it comes) the stage will end, and you will go to a bonus stage if you get the 'choppa (with a possibility of a 1up). Also if you can get the net upgrade (looks like a plate) you will get a bigger net which helps a lot. Haven't found many of the key/heli locations after stage 15 yet (there are 30 stages in all) but I'm thinking about writing a FAQ for this game as I've made a note of lot of their locations.

For example, there is a copter on the second window from the left and in the very middle in very top row in stage 1 (you have to save the people first), a key on the very left of the top in stage 2, a copter one from the right in the top row in stage 3, a key in the middle of the top row on stage 4, etc.

But yeah, I agree the opening/ending siren sounds are quite annoying. But I love the sound effect for bodies hitting the street, so it kind of balances out.
You have to write something up about this game. I had never heard of it prior to your post, and now I want to check it out for myself.

GohanX

Quote from: nat on 03/18/2012, 11:10 PMWhy is it some YouTube videos are unable to load fast enough to avoid buffering every 6 seconds? This is the first time I've had this problem with a GameSack episode, but I've had it before with other stuff. No, it's not my connection, I have Comcast super-duper-explosive high speed broadband. It's something within YouTube that causes it, and it's only certain videos (but always the same ones).
You're not alone. I have a 18 mbps pipe here and can literally download a high res divx movie faster than I can load a 720p half hour Youtube video. I'm wondering if the isp throttles Youtube traffic.

PunkCryborg

Nice episode!
I know I had my hopes up but maybe the next one can be the CDi episode we've all been waiting for.

Bernie

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 03/20/2012, 02:54 PMNice episode!
I know I had my hopes up but maybe the next one can be the CDi episode we've all been waiting for.
Biggest sad face ever......   ugh.... lol

futureman2000

I have had the same problem with some Youtube videos, including this week's Game Sack.

majors

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 03/20/2012, 02:54 PM...maybe the next one can be the CDi episode PunkCryborg has been waiting for.
Corrected.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

esteban

Quote from: majors on 03/21/2012, 08:52 AM
Quote from: PunkCryborg on 03/20/2012, 02:54 PM...maybe the next one can be the CDi episode PunkCryborg and esteban have been lusting waiting for.
Corrected.
Corrected.  :pcgs:

Joe Redifer

Samurai Ghost

Nice, you covered Megumi Rescue!  :D The control did look a little twitchy, although playable as you mentioned.
Sengoku Blaeade also got some much needed love. That game is just too much fun and has some amazing graphics.

But as usual I'm off to buy a couple new games now... Always passed on Keio's Flying Squadron 2 because they changed it to a platformer, but it looks pretty fun to me so I'll give it a shot. And I think I had the same experience as you with Devil Hunter Yoko when I played it a long time ago. I didn't know about that shield attack and just got my ass beat hard on the first level or two. Might have to go pick it up too! Damn you guys and your informative game reviews!!

roflmao

Great video.  FYI, Three Wonders can also be found on Capcom Classics Collection 2 (I have it for the PS2 but it might have come out on other systems), along with some other awesome games (Sidearms, Strider, Street Fighter 2 Turbo...). I think I picked my used copy up from GS for for something like $8.

td741

<Whiny Nitpick>Three Wonders was available in North America... in Arcades</Whiny Nitpick> :P

majors

Quote from: guest on 03/26/2012, 12:21 AMalong with some other awesome games (Sidearms, Strider, Street Fighter 2 Turbo...).
Looking at you TurboFan.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

BlueBMW

Quote from: esteban on 03/21/2012, 05:20 PM
Quote from: majors on 03/21/2012, 08:52 AM
Quote from: PunkCryborg on 03/20/2012, 02:54 PM...maybe the next one can be the CDi episode PunkCryborg, esteban and BlueBMW have been begging lusting waiting for.
Corrected.
Corrected.
Fix'd

Quote from: majors on 03/27/2012, 10:20 AM
Quote from: guest on 03/26/2012, 12:21 AMalong with some other awesome games (Sidearms, Final Lap Twin, Strider, Street Fighter 2 Turbo...).
Looking at you TurboStar.
And fix'd
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

DragonmasterDan

No Game Sack today?
--DragonmasterDan

Tatsujin

yeah damn, my day is over soon here, and I hadn't even the regular game sack before hit the sack.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Joe Redifer

Naw.  Gotta take this week off due to real life.  Back next Sunday.

esteban

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/02/2012, 04:15 PMNaw.  Gotta take this week off due to real life.  Back next Sunday.
IMG Hany says, "Aw, shucks!"

Tatsujin

Damn, I didn't know you guys also have a real life. kinda sucks  :|
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Joe Redifer

Mathius

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/08/2012, 10:58 PMNew episode:

The Nintendo Gamecube
Wow Joe! You should take that Monkey Ball show on the road!

BlueBMW

Love the Gamecube <3   Its the only system I ever bought on launch day.  Glad to see some Luigis mansion love...
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Samurai Ghost

Damn, Joe's got some mad Monkey Ball skills!!

Never owned a GC myself, but my good friend did and we played HOURS of Monkey Target and the other MB mini-games on it. Monkey Ball (and the sequel) is such an awesome game with so much gameplay packed on one little disc.

Tatsujin

Ji-L87

Great episode, especially the stop-motion and general "animation" you guys did with that black gamecube was top notch. Not to mention the mad skills in Monkey Ball.

I never heard too much buzz about it but surprisingly many people I know have a GC lying around somewhere.
I've had a weird closet-like affection for it and just last week I bought one myself. Got it the other day...or well, half of it. Thanks to weight, the seller had to split the power & video cords in a separate package :/ It's a little roughed out, well, quite a bit, but if it works then that's okay by me.

There sure is something special in that generation of consoles that tickles my...well, whatever it tickles.
Like, how 3D is finally starting to look real good and colorful since no one had invented that next-generation look yet.
CHECKPOINT!
Quote from: esteban on 09/23/2012, 01:40 AMThere is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.

roflmao

My favorite part of the Gamecube is the Gameboy adapter. :) 9 times out of 10, if I'm turning on my GC, it's to play a GBA game.  There were some good games released for the GC (as illustrated in this episode), but none of the ones I've tried have really captured my attention for very long.

Mathius

Quote from: guest on 04/09/2012, 02:26 PMMy favorite part of the Gamecube is the Gameboy adapter. :) 9 times out of 10, if I'm turning on my GC, it's to play a GBA game.  There were some good games released for the GC (as illustrated in this episode), but none of the ones I've tried have really captured my attention for very long.
If you don't have one yet get a Hori Digital Controller. They are rare and expensive but totally worth it for playing GB and GBA games.

roflmao

Quote from: Mathius on 04/09/2012, 02:53 PMIf you don't have one yet get a Hori Digital Controller. They are rare and expensive but totally worth it for playing GB and GBA games.
Wow, those look pretty slick!  I'll keep my eye out for one. 

On a semi related note, I just dug out my old Madcatz RetroCon controller for the PS2.  I remember getting it back when I was playing a lot of emulation on the Dreamcast and used an adapter to hook this controller up.  I never was a big fan of the Dreamcast controller, especially for old 8-big games. :D

Joe Redifer

The GBA adapter is pretty awesome, but some games look pretty bad blown up.  Gunstar Super Heroes was pretty grainy and bad looking.  I just wish it didn't need a boot disc and had all of the pertinent info built into the GB Player.

Quote from: Tatsujin on 04/09/2012, 05:57 AMAM DISAPPOINT :(
Well too bad for you!

roflmao

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/09/2012, 05:31 PMThe GBA adapter is pretty awesome, but some games look pretty bad blown up.  Gunstar Super Heroes was pretty grainy and bad looking.  I just wish it didn't need a boot disc and had all of the pertinent info built into the GB Player.
Yeah, having to run a disc to play GBA games is a pain.  At least they could have made the disc case the same as a normal game case.  It's the once disc that gets the most use for the GC and the game case has a sleeve! Meh.

Digi.k

good I enjoyed that episode and didn't feel the need to turn the volume down when you both spoke :P

Samurai Ghost

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/09/2012, 05:31 PMThe GBA adapter is pretty awesome, but some games look pretty bad blown up.  Gunstar Super Heroes was pretty grainy and bad looking.  I just wish it didn't need a boot disc and had all of the pertinent info built into the GB Player.
Well, at least it and the Super Game Boy exists. Where is our Mega Game Gear Adapter SEGA!? Where is it, dammit!!? :evil: I have so many great GG games that I don't have the patience to play on that old washed out screen any more... I'm highly considering doing a consolized Game Gear mod so I can play some of these on the TV.

If these were ever produced in any number I would pay a very large sum for one:

IMG

Joe Redifer

Quote from: Digi.kgood I enjoyed that episode and didn't feel the need to turn the volume down when you both spoke :P
??? Mastered at the same levels as all of the other episodes.

Quote from: guestAt least they could have made the disc case the same as a normal game case.  It's the once disc that gets the most use for the GC and the game case has a sleeve! Meh.
That's how Japanese Gamecube games come.  For once the US got way better box designs than Japan.  Actually I take that back.  The SMS had far better boxes than Japan (not box art, just the boxes).

Samurai Ghost

Yeah, totally agree with you about the SMS boxes. I usually buy Japanese games because I enjoy the games as they were originally intended, untainted by bad translations and censorship, but the Mark III boxes SUCK. Paper boxes are horrible, really. Luckily I'm not a Nintendo fanboy as I'd drive myself crazy trying to track down and maintain a collection of easily destroyed paper boxes. Give me sturdy clamshell cases any day of the week! They look better, last longer, shelve better, protect manuals better, and are just BETTER.

Colossus1574

Great episode guys! Couldn't agree more with all the games chosen to be highlighted (but i must make a minor correction, you guys mentioned Smash Bros. being the only fighting game on the CG, but they actually had a SUPER fighter in Capcom vs. SNK 2: EO and also SoulCalibur 2 w/Link exclusive)

I've actually only discovered you're shows today and have been having such an entertaining time catching up on past episodes as you guys have chosen some pretty interesting topics to cover  =D&gt; Keep up the great work and keep the jokes coming  :D (Rayxambar!!!)

Colossus1574

oh one more thing...
anybody have any suggestions on where to find cheap Component cables for the GC? all the ones on Ebay are ridiculous... $100+ !?!?!?!

Samurai Ghost

Quote from: Colossus1574 on 04/10/2012, 08:06 AMGreat episode guys! Couldn't agree more with all the games chosen to be highlighted (but i must make a minor correction, you guys mentioned Smash Bros. being the only fighting game on the CG, but they actually had a SUPER fighter in Capcom vs. SNK 2: EO and also SoulCalibur 2 w/Link exclusive)
Yeah but I think they were talking about GC exclusives? Those are both multi-platform games (extra characters aside).