RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Game Sack

Started by Joe Redifer, 07/25/2011, 05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Samurai Ghost

Really enjoyed the last couple episodes! You guys covered some of my favorites: M.U.S.H.A. Aleste, Soldier Blade, Gain Ground, and Layer Section (even though you didn't ACTUALLY cover it). Gonna pick up Road Blaster FX for the Mega CD. I never tried out because I never really enjoyed the FMV games that much but it looks like a fun one and is dirt cheap. Keep up the good work and reviews!

Joe Redifer

What's interesting is that the graphics in Galactic Attack actually have different (better) effects when you turn it to TATE mode.  That's the way I recorded the games for this episode (both this and Raiden for PS1).

Mathius

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 11/29/2011, 05:47 PMWhat's interesting is that the graphics in Galactic Attack actually have different (better) effects when you turn it to TATE mode.  That's the way I recorded the games for this episode (both this and Raiden for PS1).
I have Galactic Attack and love it. How are the effects different?

Joe Redifer

Look at the part I have in the video, especially the part where you go "though" the moon to the inside.  Now play to that part in the normal mode (not TATE) and the transition is much different.  It's like the edge of the moon is its own layer and there is no curvature to the moon's surface or innards.

esteban

As I mentioned at pcebible earlier: I can't wait to watch all the Game Sack episodes that I have missed! Yay!
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Mathius

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 11/29/2011, 07:45 PMLook at the part I have in the video, especially the part where you go "though" the moon to the inside.  Now play to that part in the normal mode (not TATE) and the transition is much different.  It's like the edge of the moon is its own layer and there is no curvature to the moon's surface or innards.
I thought that part looked different when I saw that vid yesterday!

Samurai Ghost

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 11/29/2011, 05:47 PMWhat's interesting is that the graphics in Galactic Attack actually have different (better) effects when you turn it to TATE mode.  That's the way I recorded the games for this episode (both this and Raiden for PS1).
Yeah, pretty much any shooter will look better in Tate mode because the graphics aren't scaled down at all. But how do you go about playing games in Tate mode? I'm a huge shooter fan so I'm considering getting a dedicated tate monitor at some point (or a SEGA Astro City cab), but I haven't really looked into how I should go about doing this.

Joe Redifer

For Game Sack I just played them as horizontal shooters while recording and rotated the video in post.  Many TATE shooters will let you play like this.  Some will also let you rotate the controls and that's when you also have to rotate the display itself.

Opethian

IMG

geise

That's why I play on a very nice 14" Toshiba SDTV.  It's so easy to just rotate the display.  Not all Tv's like being rotated and can have issues, but it really is easy to rotate a small ass TV.  It's like a whole new world for me now when playing games like Galactic Attack or Gunbird 2.  Just pure awesome!  BTW very nice video Joe.  You always choose good games to review.

Joe Redifer

Games That Cause Polarizing Opinions

Samurai Ghost

Another great episode. The Lucky Hit segment cracked me up!
Pretty much agree completely with your guys' opinions on these games. Played the hell out of Sonic CD when I got it back in the day as it was one of the better Sega CD games I had, but playing it now it is kind of disjointed and random. Love both soundtracks though (although I favor the Japanese one).

nat

Sonic CD blows every single other Sonic game away. :)

Also, yes, Lucky Hit was a, well, lucky hit.

Tatsujin

Sonic 1 [x---------------l---------------] any other sonics
 :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

nat

You're obviously confused.

rag-time4

Mathius

Sonic 1 has a certain charm and magic to it, IMO, not unlike Bonk's Adventure. That being said Sonic 2 has the best level design. The Chemical Plant is my favorite area in any Sonic the Hedgehog game.

Tatsujin

Quote from: nat on 12/06/2011, 10:44 PMYou're obviously confused.
No way, José.
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

BlueBMW

Quote from: Mathius on 12/07/2011, 02:46 AMSonic 1 has a certain charm and magic to it, IMO, not unlike Bonk's Adventure. That being said Sonic 2 has the best level design. The Chemical Plant is my favorite area in any Sonic the Hedgehog game.
I love the Ice Cap zones of sonic 3...  the music is so awesome imo
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 12/05/2011, 05:39 AMGames That Cause Polarizing Opinions
Awesome video, I have strong opinions on all of those games (except for maybe Mario Sunshine which I see as a good game but is the weakest 3D Mario).

Another game I see that people either love or hate (I know RPGs aren't Dave's favorite Genre) is Chrono Cross. I rarely see anyone who's inbetween on it.
--DragonmasterDan

Joe Redifer

Mathius

It's getting late so I'll watch this one tomorrow night.

....Joe, is there a possibility that GameSack will someday get released on DVD? PLEASE?!?! [-o&lt;

Joe Redifer

Maybe, I dunno.  The issue with that is that I made them for the web.  In other words, I have completely ignored the "safe area" on TVs.  I scale game images to the height of the screen (without distorting their original aspect ratio, of course).  As a result, some game information will probably go unseen if watched on a CRT TV and most LCD TVs (though not as much will be clipped on the non-CRT TVs).  I don't want to put the video in a black border.  I never really intended it to be watched on a television set.

Ji-L87

Oh man, did I play World of Illusion a whole lot over at a friends house. Yes, yes I did. Quackshot one the other hand, I had that as well as a kid but got stuck and traded it in for...who knows what. I'm starting to wonder if that wasn't a mistake : x

At least I still have Aladdin for Mega Drive...hm. Didn't remember the music sounding so crap.
CHECKPOINT!
Quote from: esteban on 09/23/2012, 01:40 AMThere is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.

Mathius

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 12/12/2011, 03:13 AMMaybe, I dunno.  The issue with that is that I made them for the web.  In other words, I have completely ignored the "safe area" on TVs.  I scale game images to the height of the screen (without distorting their original aspect ratio, of course).  As a result, some game information will probably go unseen if watched on a CRT TV and most LCD TVs (though not as much will be clipped on the non-CRT TVs).  I don't want to put the video in a black border.  I never really intended it to be watched on a television set.
But....but... :cry:

Joe Redifer

I could send the 1080p MP4s for you to do with as you please (except re-edit).  The issue with that is it would take about 10 DVDs to put the files on.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 12/12/2011, 05:55 PMI could send the 1080p MP4s for you to do with as you please (except re-edit).  The issue with that is it would take about 10 DVDs to put the files on.
Can't those just be downloaded From YouTube and a Firefox extension too? I usually put them on a flash drive and watch them on my 360
--DragonmasterDan

Joe Redifer

Sure, I have no problem with people doing that.  The MP4s I have are higher quality than the Youtube versions, however.

Joe Redifer

guyjin

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 12/12/2011, 05:55 PMI could send the 1080p MP4s for you to do with as you please (except re-edit).  The issue with that is it would take about 10 DVDs to put the files on.
So... Blu-ray?

Joe Redifer

Sure, if you want to buy me an external burner.

Samurai Ghost

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 12/19/2011, 02:53 AMNewest:

Let's Play Soukyugurentai
Watched the Let's Play and thought it was OK but I definitely like your other videos better. Picking a theme and talking about games is interesting to me especially since I share your taste in games. Let's Plays are fine, but the be honest YouTube is swamped with them...

Joe Redifer

Early episode this week for Christmas!

SNES Shoot 'em Ups

Tats' head is probably spinning just looking at the title of the episode, but there's some Turbo love in there.

Mathius

Heh, you guys really cracked me up with that ending. :lol:

As far as the music in UN Squadron is concerned it is actually one of my favorite soundtracks on the SNES, with the game itself being in my top 3 shooters of all time.

...Where are my Neo Geo games, Joe?

Joe Redifer

They were signed for by Bubba.  I assume that you're Bubba.

Mathius

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 12/24/2011, 03:08 AMThey were signed for by Bubba.  I assume that you're Bubba.
:lol: :lol:

rag-time4

Quote from: Mathius on 12/24/2011, 01:57 AMHeh, you guys really cracked me up with that ending. :lol:

As far as the music in UN Squadron is concerned it is actually one of my favorite soundtracks on the SNES, with the game itself being in my top 3 shooters of all time.
I wholeheartedly agree with Mati on this one... I love the UN squadron soundtrack and its also one of my favorite shooters. Its a shame that the sequel (US Navy/carrier air wing) never came out on a console over here.

I thought UN squadron was the best game on display in this episode. The mode 7 effects in Axelay are just horrible to me... especially the way the enemies look. Early generation polygons are more appealing to me than that lousy mode 7

Joe Redifer

If you're talking about the overhead stages, that's not Mode 7.  Even the Turbo can do that (albeit on one layer).

As for UN Squadron, I simply cannot stand bad, MIDI-ish fake guitar.  It just sounds so bad and the overall sound quality of all the instruments is pretty low.   With a better instrument set the music would be good, but wah wah guitar is not even pleasing when it comes from a real guitar much less a cheap synthed one.

Some commenter on Youtube was not happy that I kept mentioning the TurboGrafx.

Mathius

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 12/24/2011, 06:26 PMSome commenter on Youtube was not happy that I kept mentioning the TurboGrafx.
Well he can eat me.

Samurai Ghost

Enjoyed the latest episode. Interesting topic and games!

rag-time4

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 12/24/2011, 06:26 PMIf you're talking about the overhead stages, that's not Mode 7.  Even the Turbo can do that (albeit on one layer).

As for UN Squadron, I simply cannot stand bad, MIDI-ish fake guitar.  It just sounds so bad and the overall sound quality of all the instruments is pretty low.   With a better instrument set the music would be good, but wah wah guitar is not even pleasing when it comes from a real guitar much less a cheap synthed one.

Some commenter on Youtube was not happy that I kept mentioning the TurboGrafx.
Yeah im referring to those overhead stages... didnt realize it wasnt mode 7... they sure look like mode 7 with everything being totally flat.

I like the instruments in UN squadron, they sound fairly unique to me. I know what youre saying about fake guitar, but to me it sounds distinctive. I also really love the futuristic instruments of Image Fight arcade.... but I imagine they might make your ears bleed.

Joe Redifer

Everyone keeps talking about Image Fight but I've never even seen it.

rag-time4

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 12/25/2011, 12:57 PMEveryone keeps talking about Image Fight but I've never even seen it.
The arcade version is available in japan for saturn and playstation as part of a 2-in-1 with x-multiply... The saturn version is usually a little cheaper

The pce version of image fight can be found for about 15-20 bucks complete. Its also available for the NES and famicom, but the NES version is garbage compared to the others. (which might make for fun fodder in your show!)

blueraven

Everyone keeps talking about Joe's show but I've never even seen it.

Joe Redifer

I want to make a witty comeback, but I can't think of one that's particularly funny.  Maybe tomorrow...

esteban

Quote from: blueraven on 12/27/2011, 03:49 AMEveryone keeps talking about Joe's show but I've never even seen it.
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 12/27/2011, 04:04 AMI want to make a witty comeback, but I can't think of one that's particularly funny.  Maybe tomorrow...
I've gone back to re-watch the (many!) GamSac episodes I've missed since I went M.I.A. and it has been wonderful, concentrated goodness. It's like watching "The Wire" on DVD and not having to wait for new episodes (or, even worse, a new season).

Instant gratification. :)

Samurai Ghost

Quote from: esteban on 12/27/2011, 08:00 AM
Quote from: blueraven on 12/27/2011, 03:49 AMEveryone keeps talking about Joe's show but I've never even seen it.
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 12/27/2011, 04:04 AMI want to make a witty comeback, but I can't think of one that's particularly funny.  Maybe tomorrow...
I've gone back to re-watch the (many!) GamSac episodes I've missed since I went M.I.A. and it has been wonderful, concentrated goodness. It's like watching "The Wire" on DVD and not having to wait for new episodes (or, even worse, a new season).

Instant gratification. :)
Yeah since I recently discovered Game Sack through this forum I've been going back and watching a lot of the older episodes. Great stuff guys! It's weird how close my gaming tastes are to Joe's. I think we were separated at birth by some guys working for SEGA or something...

Joe Redifer

Latest episode:  After Burner

Tatsujin

Oh, a to Joe deticated ep then :)

esteban

Wow, I had no idea about half of those Afterburner titles.

Absolutely fun (& educational!) episode.

Bravo, gentlemen. Bravo.