The “What-Did-You-Buy-Today?” Thread

Started by Tatsujin, 06/15/2008, 05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvilEvoIX

Found some good games at 2nd and Charles.  I posted a review of the place in another thread  Good prices and availability.  Heart of Darkness could be my favorite game on the PS1.  It is a cinematic platformer which is my favorite game-play style such as Out of this World, Heart of the Alien, Flashback, OddWorld, etc.  I remember waiting for this game to come out and it being delayed from 1992 to be released on the PC, then the 3DO, then the Saturn in 1996 but the Saturn died so it wasn't until 1998.  Well worth the wait and cannot recommend it enough.  BC Races is a below average racer but made by CORE which did some amazing things on the Sega CD.  The Sega CD game was cheap and in great condition, no clue on the game gear game but $1 why not?

My 32X collection is almost complete.

IMG
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

gheebee

I actually ordered myself a copy of the PC version of BC Racers just the other day.

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: gheebee on 05/02/2016, 02:19 PMI actually ordered myself a copy of the PC version of BC Racers just the other day.
Post a video of it, never seen how the PC version looks.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

xcrement5x

BC Racers is weird because they censored the Sega CD one, but a year later they decided it was fine for the 32X?  I have no clue. 

munchiaz

Quote from: schweaty on 05/01/2016, 10:30 PM
Quote from: technozombie on 05/01/2016, 07:46 PMPicked up this stuff at Retropalooza Houston on Saturday.

IMG
Oh snap!  Gate is my fave horee!
Bithead 1000?

schweaty

technozombie

I only got to spend a few minutes with Android Assault, but it started off as very inferior to GoT

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: guest on 05/02/2016, 04:13 PMBC Racers is weird because they censored the Sega CD one, but a year later they decided it was fine for the 32X?  I have no clue.
Censored?
IMGIMGIMG

gheebee

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 05/02/2016, 02:30 PMPost a video of it, never seen how the PC version looks.
I saw it in this video:

gheebee

Picked this up recently after realizing that it was the only game in the series that I didn't have:

keen-Copy.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/6pp7DPn3/keen-Copy.png

xcrement5x

IMG

Gravity Rush for Vita & Pacific Liberator for Wii

I have been wanting to get a copy of Gravity Rush for awhile and I had a coupon for 20% off from Gamestop that was about to expire so I grabbed this guy at a relatively cheap price.  Still need to dig out my Vita so I can get some quality time with it though.

Pacific Liberator was even cheaper at about 70 cents so I figured I would gamble that bit of change to mess around with it.  I will say there are worse games, it feel like it could be the successor to the Strike games (Jungle/Desert Strike) and it controls decently enough.

bob

Quote from: gheebee on 05/03/2016, 01:21 AMPicked this up recently after realizing that it was the only game in the series that I didn't have:
keen-Copy.jpg
nice.  thats pretty cool, any fun?

NecroPhile

Yesterday's mail brought me a Mysterious Song.  Thanks, Nod.  :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Digi.k

got these over the last few days.

/e85332f3-2127-4df1-b8af-42baff8aa3aa.jpg

NecroPhile

Nice mugs!  Who hit poor bazzy with the baseball?

gheebee

Quote from: gynt on 05/05/2016, 01:54 PM
Quote from: gheebee on 05/03/2016, 01:21 AMPicked this up recently after realizing that it was the only game in the series that I didn't have:
keen-Copy.jpg
nice.  thats pretty cool, any fun?
I haven't played it that much since I got it but at first glance it is kind of disappointing compared to the other games. Everything feels cramped because of the tiny gameboy screen instead of wide open and Keen is somewhat hard to control. Once you get used to this there is also the fact that the one level I've played so far is a confusing mess, even with the arrows that tell you where to go it still usually isn't obvious where, exactly you're supposed to go or what you're supposed to do. The level also feels like it goes on for way too long.
There are also a couple of differences with the other games in this one, in the original games you had a jump and a pogo button and to fire you'd hit them both at once but in this one you get a jump and a fire button and to pogo you hit down and jump. I kind of like this compared to the originals. Another difference, although minor, is that you can't freely roam the world map, the arrows just take you on a predefined path between levels.

gheebee

Played some more of Commander Keen and I was a bit too harsh with it earlier. After I passed the first level I never had any problems with any of the other 8 levels and the game was a lot of fun; played it right through to the end. Earlier I was playing on a GBA but playing the game on the Gamecube Gameboy Player made a big difference too. The computer games are probably a bit better but if you like them then this is also worth checking out.

DQ187

All my most recent stuff. I think i already posted Spriggan, Dead Moon and Time Cruise but they snuck into this pic also. Mainly been picking up ds games!  :P

IMG
IMG

NecroPhile

Yesterday's mail brought me a Vita copy of Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 05/10/2016, 10:16 AMYesterday's mail brought me a Vita copy of Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty.
That's the first limited run game I want.

Do you happen to know if it plays in the PSVita TV?

NecroPhile

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 05/10/2016, 03:53 PMDo you happen to know if it plays in the PSVita TV?
I think it does..... at least I hope so, else I ain't gonna be able to play it.  :|

HailingTheThings

Quote from: guest on 05/10/2016, 04:16 PM
Quote from: Medic_wheat on 05/10/2016, 03:53 PMDo you happen to know if it plays in the PSVita TV?
I think it does..... at least I hope so, else I ain't gonna be able to play it.  :|
It does. Limited Run Games said a while back that every Vita game they put out will be both region free* and PSTV compatible.

*Think all Vita games are region free at default.
IMG

Mathius

Used the last of this week's spendings on the final season of Star Trek DS9 Season 7. Back in the day I lost track of the series right after the Dominion invasion so this has all been uncharted territory for me. I shouldn't have waited so long. This ends the DS9 DVD marathon that began last February.

Also DL'd Zelda ALttP on new 3DS tonight. Never had a portable version of it before. Looks beautiful on the 3DS' screen. The colors really pop in true pixel mode.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 05/10/2016, 05:42 PM
It does. Limited Run Games said a while back that every Vita game they put out will be both region free* and PSTV compatible.

Nice.

Sigh dang. Sort of do not want to buy it off the secondary market for the trending $80. However, the longer I wait the possibility of it jumping to around $120-150 grows like some of the other releases.

WELL. Guess we will see what happens in the next month or so.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 05/11/2016, 08:37 AM

Nice.

Sigh dang. Sort of do not want to buy it off the secondary market for the trending $80. However, the longer I wait the possibility of it jumping to around $120-150 grows like some of the other releases.

Yeah, unfortunately, the vita copy had only like 2,500 while the ps4 had 5,000. I'd say if you want it, go for the ps4, assuming you have or are buying that console at some point. It should be a bit cheaper.
IMG

Medic_wheat

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 05/11/2016, 05:27 PM

Nice.

Yeah, unfortunately, the vita copy had only like 2,500 while the ps4 had 5,000. I'd say if you want it, go for the ps4, assuming you have or are buying that console at some point. It should be a bit cheaper.
I don't have one currently. But I plan to at some point.

But seeing how I picked up a PS TV for like $20 bucks recently used I had wanted to increase some Vita games. But apart from GameStop I never see Vita games for sale at other places.

Mathius

I missed out on a brand new 1st gen Vita at MGC this year. Still kicking myself over that.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 05/11/2016, 10:24 PM
Quote from: HailingTheThings on 05/11/2016, 05:27 PM

Nice.

I don't have one currently. But I plan to at some point.

But seeing how I picked up a PS TV for like $20 bucks recently used I had wanted to increase some Vita games. But apart from GameStop I never see Vita games for sale at other places.
I see, well if you're to grab dat New 'n' Tasty for Vita, be prepared to pay $20+ more.

Quote from: Mathius on 05/11/2016, 11:23 PMI missed out on a brand new 1st gen Vita at MGC this year. Still kicking myself over that.
I feel like I should grab a Vita, there are some games that aren't compatible with the PSTV that look wow.
IMG

xcrement5x

Quote from: Mathius on 05/11/2016, 11:23 PMI missed out on a brand new 1st gen Vita at MGC this year. Still kicking myself over that.
Honestly I would just keep an eye on your local CL.  I was patient and regularly searched.  Eventually I was able to get a CIB minty unit with several couple games for about $150.  Still kind expensive but I was happy with it.

Mathius

Quote from: guest on 05/12/2016, 03:44 PM
Honestly I would just keep an eye on your local CL.  I was patient and regularly searched.  Eventually I was able to get a CIB minty unit with several couple games for about $150.  Still kind expensive but I was happy with it.
Will do! :)

EvilEvoIX

Nice Craigslist find right by my house.    Got me a Vans Shoe box full of "Nintendo Tapes".  It popped up and I called it immediately.  It's nice that sometimes you can grab games for a good price before a reseller nabs them and then throws them on eBay for $50 apiece.  After I grabbed them the guy called me back and said his phone and email exploded.  He said one guy was going to drive down with $150 from Long Island and had no idea they were worth so much.

I paid $80 for these games, 22 carts, so $3.63 a cart which I will pay all day long regardless of title.  Rygar is fantastic; Werewolf is also good with pretty grafx and responsive controls.  Captain Planet is utter Dog Shit.  Spiderman has some really funky controls but there are a lot of moves and inputs for just 2 buttons.  It has some cheese to it but you can cheese the enemies too.  I got both Metroid variants now so that's cool.  The Zelda carts still has working saves too, amazing.

IMG
IMG
IMGIMGIMG

Medic_wheat

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 05/13/2016, 09:18 AMNice Craigslist find right by my house.    Got me a Vans Shoe box full of "Nintendo Tapes".  It popped up and I called it immediately.  It's nice that sometimes you can grab games for a good price before a reseller nabs them and then throws them on eBay for $50 apiece.  After I grabbed them the guy called me back and said his phone and email exploded.  He said one guy was going to drive down with $150 from Long Island and had no idea they were worth so much.

I paid $80 for these games, 22 carts, so $3.63 a cart which I will pay all day long regardless of title.  Rygar is fantastic; Werewolf is also good with pretty grafx and responsive controls.  Captain Planet is utter Dog Shit.  Spiderman has some really funky controls but there are a lot of moves and inputs for just 2 buttons.  It has some cheese to it but you can cheese the enemies too.  I got both Metroid variants now so that's cool.  The Zelda carts still has working saves too, amazing.

IMG
IMG
I see a double of kid Icarus. Interested in trading?

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 05/13/2016, 09:42 AM
Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 05/13/2016, 09:18 AMNice Craigslist find right by my house.    Got me a Vans Shoe box full of "Nintendo Tapes".  It popped up and I called it immediately.  It's nice that sometimes you can grab games for a good price before a reseller nabs them and then throws them on eBay for $50 apiece.  After I grabbed them the guy called me back and said his phone and email exploded.  He said one guy was going to drive down with $150 from Long Island and had no idea they were worth so much.

IMG
IMG
I see a double of kid Icarus. Interested in trading?
Pm me what you have in mind.
IMGIMGIMG

xcrement5x

Ughhh, a classic series Metroid.   I just decided I wanted one of those too :(

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: guest on 05/13/2016, 12:20 PMUghhh, a classic series Metroid.   I just decided I wanted one of those too :(
You can find one easily for $20 plus shipping.
IMGIMGIMG

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 05/13/2016, 12:20 PMUghhh, a classic series Metroid.   I just decided I wanted one of those too :(
And his is the variant cover art that is my personal favorite. Luckily for my I ah e that same cover art copy boxed. It's of the FEW boxes NES games I own. Simply due to the cover art lol.

That sexy sexy cardboard

xcrement5x

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 05/13/2016, 01:38 PM
And his is the variant cover art that is my personal favorite. Luckily for my I ah e that same cover art copy boxed. It's of the FEW boxes NES games I own. Simply due to the cover art lol.

That sexy sexy cardboard
Yeah, I just got a nice bundle of NES box/manuals and one of them was the classic series Metroid for NES.  I just don't want to deal with getting another copy since I already own the original, seems like a waste of money.

gheebee

My friend came over to bottle our last few brews and gave me this:

IMG

Said that after maybe 30 minutes the console would lock up and then beep and/or flash an LED several times and that if I can make it work again then I'll have myself a PS3. No idea if I'll be able to get it working again but I look forward to at the very least trying to trigger the error with GTA IV so I can hopefully maybe see what the problem is. Haven't played GTA since Vice City. :D

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: gheebee on 05/15/2016, 04:06 AMMy friend came over to bottle our last few brews and gave me this:
IMG
Said that after maybe 30 minutes the console would lock up and then beep and/or flash an LED several times and that if I can make it work again then I'll have myself a PS3. No idea if I'll be able to get it working again but I look forward to at the very least trying to trigger the error with GTA IV so I can hopefully maybe see what the problem is. Haven't played GTA since Vice City. :D
I was given a launch 60GB Backwards compatible PS3 (plays all PS1, PS2, and PS3 games so it is the most desirable model.  It had the yellow light of death.  I mailed it back to Sony and they mailed me back a new unit with a free game.  Amazing
IMGIMGIMG

jeffhlewis

I've bought a whole crap ton of game stuff since I've posted last - but this is my favorite random pickup of late:

IMG

Completely random Goodwill in the Milwaukee suburbs had Casiopea's greatest hits (1990) in the CD section, sandwiched between Nickelback and a copy of the Titanic soundtrack. What are the chances???

And Mati - you should totally get a Vita. I haven't put mine down since MGC. It's worth it for PS4 remote play alone,

ToyMachine78

Quote from: jeffhlewis on 05/16/2016, 10:24 PMI've bought a whole crap ton of game stuff since I've posted last - but this is my favorite random pickup of late:

IMG

Completely random Goodwill in the Milwaukee suburbs had Casiopea's greatest hits (1990) in the CD section, sandwiched between Nickelback and a copy of the Titanic soundtrack. What are the chances???

And Mati - you should totally get a Vita. I haven't put mine down since MGC. It's worth it for PS4 remote play alone,
Man... I thought that was the flowers of Roger Maplerhorpe lol

jeffhlewis

Quote from: guest on 05/16/2016, 10:26 PM
Quote from: jeffhlewis on 05/16/2016, 10:24 PMI've bought a whole crap ton of game stuff since I've posted last - but this is my favorite random pickup of late:

IMG

(In case this requires explanation)

Casiopea was (is?) a Japanese jazz fusion band that, from the late 70's through early 90's, was the jerk-off material for every video game music composer of the era. I'd argue almost more-so than Yellow Magic Orchestra. Just listen to these and tell me you don't feel like this sounds like every game soundtrack from '86 - '92:
The guitarist was a frequent collaborator with Sega's SST Band, also. There's another band called "The Square" (aka "T-Square") that does basically the same thing. Great stuff to jam out to.

bob

Quote from: jeffhlewis on 05/16/2016, 11:02 PM

IMG

Casiopea was (is?) a Japanese jazz fusion band that, from the late 70's through early 90's, was the jerk-off material for every video game music composer of the era. I'd argue almost more-so than Yellow Magic Orchestra. Just listen to these and tell me you don't feel like this sounds like every game soundtrack from '86 - '92:
The guitarist was a frequent collaborator with Sega's SST Band, also. There's another band called "The Square" (aka "T-Square") that does basically the same thing. Great stuff to jam out to.
this is good background music for mundane work tasks.  Thanks for introducing me to this.

johnnykonami

I'm a big fan of T-Square myself, I've wanted an EWI forever now (Electronic Wind Instrument) but haven't bit the bullet yet.

wildfruit

IMG
Arrived today all the way from the USA.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: jeffhlewis on 05/16/2016, 11:02 PM

IMG

It did and I am glade you explained it to those unfamiliar. Like myself.

bartre

they're $100 used on Amazon, I'm sure CL can beat that, or bundle or something.
I'd just be careful - vita seems to have been the choice of shithead kids...

Speedy

Got Valis 3 and Gunstar Heroes from Solaris-Japan and Elemental Master from Amazon. Really stoked to have all of these; Elemental Master and Gunstar Heroes in particular I'm happy about having because they're some of my favorite games on the system. Valis 3 is pretty fun as well.

IMG

Medic_wheat

Picked up a "new" CRT TV to replace my "old" CRT TV.

I got it a few days ago but just now brought it in from the trunk of my SUV and brought it upstairs. It has a DVI with split audio inputs. So I plan to use a DVI to HDMI cable and pick up a audio extractor so I can pipe the audio from HDMI only drives into the tv.

Or maybe into some speakers. Have yet to decide. I had planed to keep the "old" tv as it does still work for light gun games like Duck hunt which I would play often with my wife. BUT she demands I get ride of it. Sadly Goodwill (locally anyways) won't take any tv older then 10 years. So maybe Salvation Army or maybe lost it up on a local retro gamer FB page for anyone who wants it. Granted these are both free TVS I got. The "old" one having. A "working" free sign as it sat on the side of the road at an apartment complex and the "newl tv being a free tv from a local retro gamer.

Have yet to hook up anything other then the cable. Log day super tired.

IMG

"Old"

IMG
IMG

"New"

I like that tibia wide screen and I want to say it is slightly bigger screen size then the old one. This one being 34" and the old one 30" I think. It just BARELY fits on my dresser but looks snazzy. I also now feel I have down enough work out today lifting this beast on my own. Slowly pushing it up the stairs and what not.

Medic_wheat

So I picked up a copy of Saturday Morning RPG from eBay for the Vita

IMG

I noticed that on the back of the cover it had a hole punch which seemed odd.

So I tweeted the people at Limited Run games. Mostly to make sure it was not some sort of fake.

They responded saying those are marked like that as they are given to Sony employees. Which are not to be sold and comes out of their profit as they have to pay for them (I guess some sort of greasing the wheels of Sony employes).

They asked for the sellers name which I provided just now.

They also asked if I would be interested in sending in the game back to them to be exchanged for a regular copy.

Now my inner retard is saying two different things.

1)  offer to send it in for possibly a game or two I didn't get like Breach and clear along with the replacement copy.

2). Keep it as it is now "more collectible" lol

Sigh. Both responses fell 20% dickish.