PCE, SNES and Genesis Screen Comparison.

Started by awack, 03/25/2009, 10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tatsujin

Quote from: awack on 09/21/2009, 08:31 PMTwin Hawk for the genesis.
to be honest, they managed it to fuck up both ports. they have no pepp. the MD one plays slightly better.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

awack

Well, there is definitely a difference between the pce cd and hucard ports.

CD                                                 Hu Card
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

Joe Redifer

Wow, the HuCard blows the CD version away!  That's because the CD just doesn't have the MEGA POWER to compete with only 64K in RAM in any one time.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 09/21/2009, 09:38 PMWow, the HuCard blows the CD version away!  That's because the CD just doesn't have the MEGA POWER to compete with only 64K in RAM in any one time.
Yeah, the Genny port is teh winner here.
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Arkhan Asylum

no no, see the CD one has extra shadows. so it wins
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

awack

Thought i would do some of the World Heroes 2 death match mode, i already did the normal mode back on page 4, every one of the pce WH2 screens looks much closer to the neo geo original, infact, of all the games ive been playing, the pce WH2 is with out a shadow of a doubt the most impressive 16bit console port of an arcade game.

The snes port isnt bad, its what you would expect on a 16bit console, the reason the pce port turned out so close to the original(sprite size, animation, graphics and voice) is because its not a 16bit system...its an 8bit system and with the arcade card it turns into a 32bit system, every one knows this.

pce                                               snes
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

Here are the normal mode shots.

pce                                                    snes
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

shubibiman

Quote from: awack on 09/22/2009, 04:21 AMThe snes port isnt bad, its what you would expect on a 16bit console, the reason the pce port turned out so close to the original(sprite size, animation, graphics and voice) is because its not a 16bit system...its an 8bit system and with the arcade card it turns into a 32bit system, every one knows this.
:lol: I should keep this reply in mind for that guy  :mrgreen:
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

Tatsujin

Quote from: awack on 09/21/2009, 09:30 PMWell, there is definitely a difference between the pce cd and hucard ports.
that's UNBELIAVBLE!! LOL. never noticed such a big difference.
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Ceti Alpha

If anyone had any doubts about whether or not to OBEY, the World Heroes 2 comparison screenshots will make those disappear.
IMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 09/21/2009, 08:29 PMGenesis one looks better.
No way, José.  The cliff shading, the stairs on the docks (among other additional details), and the lack of a ghey side bar make the PCE version much more obeyable.

Thanks for the pics, Tom.  As suspected, the PCE is capable of a decent (though certainly not perfect) replication, further showing the invalidity of guyomes comparison of it to Bonk's Adventure as a means the show the PCE's inferiority.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

blueraven

I think its safe to say that the PCE version of WH2 PWNS the SNES. I used to have the SNES version bitd, and had buyers remorse after beating it in one day with both Hanzou and K. Dragon. I thought it was weak back then compared to teh Arcade/PCE/TG versions.

CrackTiger

Here are some Neo Geo/arcade shots to put things into perspective. The last few aren't good quality, but they don't need to be to show the similarities between the PCE and Neo Geo. Only a couple of the pics I'm adding to awack's are my own, the rest are from various internets-

Neo-GeoPC EngineSNES
IMG IMG IMG
IMG IMG IMG
IMG IMG IMG
IMG IMG IMG

IMG IMG IMG
IMG IMG IMG
IMG IMG IMG
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Joe Redifer

Is there some kind of contract that developers must sign that says all home fighting games MUST be letterboxed?

awack

Quotethe rest are from various internets-
I had looked before and could not find any good neo geo screens with characters like those, i did find a a lot of background screens though.

Looking at the BG graphics, sprite size, playing the pce and original on a TV, i cant tell any difference in sprite size and animation. Taking all that into account, i wonder how a ACD street fighter II port would be like.

I blacked out top of the arcade screens.

pce                                                arcade
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

OK, some animation time.

Obviously there are many more frame in the pce port, but if you look closer you will notice that its even worse, if you look at the snes walk frames you can see that two of the frames are also used in the weak and strong kicks, other frames are used for other actions like punch and such, so the total number of unique frames are far, far higher in the pce port, there miles apart.

pce walk                                              snes walk
IMG IMG

pce jump
IMG IMG
                                           snes jump
                          IMG   

pce weak kick
IMG IMG     
                                            snes weak kick
                              IMG   

pce strong kick
IMG IMG
                                            snes strong kick
                             IMG

intro animation missing from snes game.

pce
IMG IMG

_Paul

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 09/23/2009, 11:10 PMIs there some kind of contract that developers must sign that says all home fighting games MUST be letterboxed?
It was a clever ploy by the future manufacturers of widescreen TVs. And it worked.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: guest on 09/24/2009, 04:20 AM
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 09/23/2009, 11:10 PMIs there some kind of contract that developers must sign that says all home fighting games MUST be letterboxed?
It was a clever ploy by the future manufacturers of widescreen TVs. And it worked.
lol did you see the wide screen MVC2 ?  its the funniest piece of crap ever.

they widescreened it but kept the actual game boundaries there, so the "edge" of screen is like, 6" from the edge.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

_Paul

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 09/24/2009, 04:48 AM

they widescreened it but kept the actual game boundaries there, so the "edge" of screen is like, 6" from the edge.
That would suck on a 12" TV

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: guest on 09/24/2009, 07:42 AM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 09/24/2009, 04:48 AM

That would suck on a 12" TV
eh, it sucks on any tv, even pre-widescreend :)

MVC 1 is where its at!

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guestlol did you see the wide screen MVC2 ?  its the funniest piece of crap ever.

Well, the original game was full screen 4:3.  Changing the usable dimensions of the screen would alter gameplay considerably. For example, in a 16:9 playing field some characters with good projectiles would be completely unapproachable from full screen distance if a "full screen" became %30 wider.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 09/24/2009, 03:23 PM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhanlol did you see the wide screen MVC2 ?  its the funniest piece of crap ever.

Well, the original game was full screen 4:3.  Changing the usable dimensions of the screen would alter gameplay considerably. For example, in a 16:9 playing field some characters with good projectiles would be completely unapproachable from full screen distance if a "full screen" became %30 wider.
right.  They should have just trimmed the ends with black borders for wide screen.   It really looks tacky the way they did it.    The graphics for portraits, etc. are aligned weird now, and it just looks awkward.   When you're used to being able to run to the screen edge, but you're stopped by an invisible wall, it sucks. :)

awack

I need to show some more Daisenpuu/twin hawk since that was only the first level.

PC EngineGenesis
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

Ceti Alpha

OK, these screenies tell a different story. While a couple screens favour the Genny, the PCE stands out as a winner here, especially given the difference in colours.
IMG

awack

I agree, i took  what i thought were the nicer looking parts in the genesis port fist, i have to admit that i usually pull for the genesis when it comes to games like this but if any one is thinking about buying one i will say that the genesis port has better sound(through emulation at least).

Tatsujin

Quote from: ceti alpha on 09/24/2009, 09:29 PMespecially given the difference in colours.
and details.

damn, i never will put in my daisenpu cd again. from now on, huey only!!

blueraven

pCE pWNS the Genesis version. That game is like night and day.

Joe Redifer

No, it is more of a toss-up.  I don't really like the orange dirt in the PCE version, but some of the details are bigger and/or better.

esteban

OK, it's been quite some time since I waxed poetic about my love for Tiger Heli (NES), but suffice it to say:

I loves it. Music included. I especially love the "little heli(s)" that you can strategically have shooting forward or sideways. Or the fact that the game automatically releases a bomb when a bullet strafes you (thereby saving you a life, but at a cost).

I don't think Daisenpu has as much charm as Tiger Heli, but at least it plays a bit more smoothly and fluidly on PCE.

I'm gonna have to compare the Daisenpu HuCard and CD now, because I recall that the CD was really disappointing when it comes to the Red Book (IIRC, it has the same song, with very slight variations, occupying several tracks :( ). Why they didn't put a bit more effort into the Red Book, if only to satisfy my ravenous appetite for PCE music in 2009, I'll never know.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

TurboXray

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 09/25/2009, 01:18 AMNo, it is more of a toss-up.  I don't really like the orange dirt in the PCE version, but some of the details are bigger and/or better.
Obey the orange dirt!

awack

I will be posting screens of games that really didnt match up with any thing on the genesis or snes.

legend of xanadu
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG

Tatsujin

shubibiman

LOX is just amazing. It's even more amazing when you see it in motion (8th picture from top to bottom in the right hand column). Fantastic!
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

blueraven

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I had to see this again on the next page!!!

Quote from: awack on 09/29/2009, 11:28 AMI will be posting screens of games that really didnt match up with any thing on the genesis or snes.

legend of xanadu
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG
=D&gt; =D&gt;  :dance:

Baddest RPG eVaR!

Ceti Alpha

I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game.

...did I mention I really need this game?

=P~ =P~ =P~ =P~
IMG

Joe Redifer

Tatsujin

it's a very cheapy and so common game. i'm now a lil bit surprised of the fact, that not every PCE & TG16 owner already owns one of those.

it's successor is a bit more rare though.

TurboXray

I bought this game BITD when it first came out. Imported it. Loved it. It was my second Japanese RPG on the Duo I beat. One loooooooong ass game. Required lots of shotty dictionary translation on my part ( thank god the game used lots of Kanji. I could never translate all Kana based games because I couldn't tell the start/end of word when they don't put any spaces in the sentences!!! WTF? Jerks!). On a side note, my 7 year old son got to the 3rd chapter in this game. We used Gamemusicfreak's youtube video walkthroughs to help him out.

Tatsujin

so how did you decipher all the kanjis back then? search them by its strokes in a word tank? or are you chinese? :mrgreen:

Joe Redifer

It requires knowledge of Japanese?  It looks like an action game to me.  I don't even know what this game is called.

TurboXray

Quote from: Tatsujin on 09/29/2009, 10:19 PMso how did you decipher all the kanjis back then?
Visually matching them up ;>_>

But I kept a record of all the the ones I encountered. But to be honest, a lot of the translations made little to no sense and I only did it when I was stuck in the game ;)

CrackTiger

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 09/29/2009, 10:41 PMIt requires knowledge of Japanese?  It looks like an action game to me.  I don't even know what this game is called.
It's like Ys gameplay-wise with Dragon Slayer style progression (chapters and all). Unfortunately, each chapter is basically a long string of specific fetch quests and it's very gaijin unfriendly.

At the end of each Chapter, there is a brief section where you side scroll across a short distance battling enemies with a little platforming before taking on the main boss.

A good comparison graphic-wise would be Popful Mail for SFC and MCD.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Joe Redifer

Someone needs to produce a translation patch.

awack

Follow the directions below(very simple) and you can play Legend of Xanadu like a straight forward action game.

At the title screen move the cursor to the middle item, press and hold Select, then press and hold Run (hold both through the "File Selection" screen), when the game starts you'll hear a chime (you can then release the keys). Now move to the right of this area, and you'll see a bunch of signs. The bottom 3 rows take you to various parts of the game, the first 3 on the top row are "hints." The second section on the top row (8 signs) do the following:
1: saves the debug file and exits the current game;
2-6: individualt cinemas;
7: lets you play all the action sequences (in order);
8: shows all the cinemas in a continuous loop.

Some cutscene screen shots.

Legend of Xanadu
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

QuoteA good comparison graphic-wise would be Popful Mail for SFC and MCD.
I didn't even think about Popful Mail, that definitely has a very similar graphic style.

CrackTiger

The cinemas, like the action sections, have to be seen in motion and both have lots of cool effects.

Tatsujin

NecroPhile

Quote from: ceti alpha on 09/29/2009, 07:08 PM...did I mention I really need this game?
I'm in a similar boat; I have the game but haven't played it much yet.  :|
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

blueraven

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 09/30/2009, 03:25 AMSomeone needs to produce a translation patch.
I agree I would be behind this idea 100%.

Quote from: ceti alpha on 09/29/2009, 07:08 PMI so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game. I so need this game.

...did I mention I really need this game?
:)

CrackTiger

Quote from: shubibiman on 09/20/2009, 04:38 AMThanks guies for this thread. It's really helpful to make french forum members understand the silliness of their statements.

...Actually, there are so many french guies who think they know about the PCE. You woudln' t believe it.

...The members nearly laughed at me, saying I was saying bullshit. There are so many guies like them, it's so irritating. I don't know if you read french enough to undertsand how horrible it is for me to discuss with these guies who don't want to understand and to admit that they're wrong.

...So basically, those who've been into the PCE for 18 years are wellknowers but beside that, you have millions of ignorants who, just because they bought a PCE 2 months ago with 2 games think they're part of the elite.  :lol:

guyomes comparison shots
IMG IMG
Those Legend of Xanadu screens are perfect for the hardcore PCE fans from France who view the PCE as 'just an 8-bit' system and not really 16-bit quality-

NES            =           8-BIT           =            PCE

IMGIMG
IMGIMG
IMGIMG
IMGIMG

Instead of comparing the original Bonk/PC Genjin to a top tier SNES game, here is LoXII matched up to some "real" 16-bit games-

16-BIT                                -                   8-BIT                   -                                16-BIT

IMGIMGIMG
IMGIMGIMG
IMGIMGIMG
IMGIMGIMG

nectarsis

What game is the 2nd set of pics, left column. 3rd down?
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

TR0N

Ahh if only the pce verison of popful mail could have been like the sega-cd version....
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

CrackTiger

Quote from: nectarsis on 09/30/2009, 10:28 PMWhat game is the 2nd set of pics, left column. 3rd down?
Seiken Denstetsu 3/"Secret of Mana 2". awack posted a bunch of pics (including that one) from it in this thread 10(?) pages back.

Quote from: TR0N on 09/30/2009, 10:39 PMAhh if only the pce verison of popful mail could have been like the sega-cd version....
I prefer the PCE version the way it is. But if it a PCE version was made more hack 'n slashy like the Sega and SFC versions, I'd prefer it to be done like Xanadu 1's action scenes. The Sega-CD version is kinda bland in comparison.