10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

The “What-Did-You-Buy-Today?” Thread

Started by Tatsujin, 06/15/2008, 05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PunkCryborg

Quote from: guest on 03/16/2014, 07:44 PM
Quote from: SuperDeadite on 03/16/2014, 07:38 PMForgotten Worlds isn't playable with this setup.  These are 12 position digital rotary switches.  Forgotten Worlds uses true analog spinners.  The original Capcom spinners have a button built in as well, so they can be pushed to fire, very rare these days, I've seen original 1 player panels sell for $500.  An original FW pcb is very expensive as well.  So no I don't.   I'm quite happy with the PC-Engine port which does have full analog support too.
Your so gay.
Hey man I know you got some beef with Super but really was this at all necessary?? Try to keep this stuff in fighting street please, his post seriously did not need this kind of response from anyone.

geise

You can ALL go to hell while I play the Megadrive Lost Worlds.  :-"

Actually, Deadite do you have a pic of the analogue controller you use for pc-e?

Joe Redifer

Yeah I'd like to see that as well. I have some vague memory of it being shown before but I can't be certain.

SuperDeadite

I use the Micomsoft/Sharp Cyberstick which was created by the President of Micomsoft who was a huge Afterburner fan and wanted proper controls at home.  The XE-1AP hand-held controller also works.  But for PCE you need the XHE-3 adapter which is much rarer then the actual controllers.   Using the full size stick with FW takes some time getting used to, but after proper calibration and a little practice it works quite well.

The main purpose of these old analog controllers is for X68000 use, but there's a hand-full of PCE/MD/MCD/32X and even a few FM Towns and PC-98 games which support it as well.

Here's my old PCE Analog demo vid.

PC-Engine Analog CyberStick Demo
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

geise

So...to sum up, a hard to find controller with an even harder to find adapter.  AWESOME!!!  The XE-1AP I mean.

jeffhlewis

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 03/16/2014, 07:38 PMForgotten Worlds isn't playable with this setup.  These are 12 position digital rotary switches.  Forgotten Worlds uses true analog spinners.  The original Capcom spinners have a button built in as well, so they can be pushed to fire, very rare these days, I've seen original 1 player panels sell for $500.  An original FW pcb is very expensive as well.  So no I don't.   I'm quite happy with the PC-Engine port which does have full analog support too.
For anyone interested - Galloping Ghost Arcade north of Chicago has an original FW cab in perfect working order, with the spinners. Makes playing the game a whole different experience vs. the consoles.

nectarsis

Quote from: jeffhlewis on 03/17/2014, 03:25 PM
For anyone interested - Galloping Ghost Arcade north of Chicago has an original FW cab in perfect working order, with the spinners. Makes playing the game a whole different experience vs. the consoles.
I cant remember  8-[ :oops: was it you and I that beat that one 2 players?
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

Nando

Got these last week.

IMG

Been a happy gamer.

Joe Redifer

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 03/17/2014, 04:55 AMI use the Micomsoft/Sharp Cyberstick which was created by the President of Micomsoft who was a huge Afterburner fan and wanted proper controls at home.  The XE-1AP hand-held controller also works.  But for PCE you need the XHE-3 adapter which is much rarer then the actual controllers.
Wow, good thing the PCE version isn't for two-players!

pulstar

Quote from: Nando on 03/17/2014, 03:40 PMGot these last week.

IMG

Been a happy gamer.
Some good picks there. The turtles always looked so nonchalantly cool on the Super Famicom label :D
My favourite pigeon had a fatal run-in with a cloud...

xcrement5x

Domestic stuff I managed to get some good deals on recently:
IMG
2014-03-17 Pickups Domestic by xcrement5x, on Flickr

Atelier Ayesha [PS3] New!
Mr. Driller [Dreamcast]
Rockin' Pretty [DS]
Class of Heroes [PSP]
(All are complete)

Annnnd, I've finally joined the cool kids club!
IMG
2014-03-17 Pickups Japan by xcrement5x, on Flickr

Keio Flying Squadron Trial Version [Mega CD]
Dracula X [PCE] (Minty and complete with obi and reg!)
WonderMega Handbook (Funky Promo Booklet)

Edit - Regarding the XE-1AP I picked one up last year and have a picture of it here: https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=5360.msg315192#msg315192
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

Nando

The TMNT cover totally told ya what you needed to know. Best SEQUEL to an arcade game EVER!

Xele got a Rondo! SO NICE! if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay and where did you get it from?

IrishNinja

yeah, SFC covers just look so happy compared to some of the ones we got, haha. good haul.
Cuttin' hangtabs since christmas '86
IMG
IMG

jeffhlewis

Quote from: nectarsis on 03/17/2014, 03:29 PM
Quote from: jeffhlewis on 03/17/2014, 03:25 PM
I cant remember  8-[ :oops: was it you and I that beat that one 2 players?
Yup! Though I think we spent the equivalent of like $50 each in credits trying to beat the game, heh.

xcrement5x

Quote from: Nando on 03/17/2014, 04:00 PMThe TMNT cover totally told ya what you needed to know. Best SEQUEL to an arcade game EVER!

Xele got a Rondo! SO NICE! if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay and where did you get it from?
I was scoping out YJA auctions for awhile until I found this one, I think I paid about 8000 yen (~$80) in auction, but after fees and all it was probably a bit under $100 all said and done to get it to my door.  I bought a couple other things so I was at least able to combine international shipping on it too.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

munchiaz

Recent pick ups. The Dark souls figure is huge. Got the Sunset riders for a great deal. Its missing the Instructions, but oh well. I actually just beat the game tonight

IMG
IMG
IMG

SmaMan

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 03/11/2014, 12:09 AMAll that really matters is that you have Crüe Ball.
Hey, what can I say? I like me some pinball. I've actually bought every single table on Pinball Arcade. Judge me.

Also, my new Super Canadian TG16 came with that copy of Cyber Core bundled in, and that came with a super Canadian French manual! I think this literally is, "Le Turbo."
IMG
Host of KACU FM's Eye on Entertainment! Proving that there IS something to do this weekend since 2009.
http://kacu.org/programs/eye-entertainment

NecroPhile

I recently received some more PSP puzzlers: Luxor - Wrath of Set, 7 Wonders of the Ancient World, and Puzzle Quest - Challenge of the Warlords.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Nando

My last set of games for awhile. My gaming budget is taking a hit for a bit.  Got these from Windy Gaming.

IMG

Bottom game is Goukuko Parodious for those of you that may not know. Been dying to have Astroboy and Shubibib dude 3 for quite some time. It's going to be a fun times at me house!

Opethian

IMG

esteban

Quote from: SmaMan on 03/19/2014, 11:39 AM
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 03/11/2014, 12:09 AMAll that really matters is that you have Crüe Ball.
Hey, what can I say? I like me some pinball. I've actually bought every single table on Pinball Arcade. Judge me.

Also, my new Super Canadian TG16 came with that copy of Cyber Core bundled in, and that came with a super Canadian French manual! I think this literally is, "Le Turbo."
IMG
Can you scan this (and any other) frenchie manuals you have? I'd love to offer all manuals (including all the frenchies) here:

https://archives.tg-16.com/magazine_database.htm?col=pub&val=man

roflmao

I received Dragon Saber PCE in the mail today. Woot! I've been wanting to pick this up for awhile. When I told my son that it's 2 player, he got all sorts of excited, so I'm hoping to play this a bunch in the near future.

geise

AWESOME!  It's on my list as well.  Enjoy!

IrishNinja

IMG

late on this, but love to Galam for the first two & Mzo for R-type, perfect time for my Duo-R to start acting right!

*edit crap sorry for the massive pic
Cuttin' hangtabs since christmas '86
IMG
IMG

SmaMan

Quote from: esteban on 03/19/2014, 09:18 PMCan you scan this (and any other) frenchie manuals you have? I'd love to offer all manuals (including all the frenchies) here:

Sure thing, dude. I won't be near a scanner for a while but I'll get on that when I get chance. Cyber Core is the only French manual I have atm.
Host of KACU FM's Eye on Entertainment! Proving that there IS something to do this weekend since 2009.
http://kacu.org/programs/eye-entertainment

csgx1

I surprisingly found a Turbo related item at the thrift store.  It's been about 7 years since I've seen anything Turbo in the wild, so I'm always super excited to find anything now days.  Of course I don't actively search all the time. 

Check out the big Turbo score...I snag this badboy for a cool $2. :mrgreen:

IMG

esteban

Quote from: SmaMan on 03/20/2014, 11:56 AM
Quote from: esteban on 03/19/2014, 09:18 PMCan you scan this (and any other) frenchie manuals you have? I'd love to offer all manuals (including all the frenchies) here:

Sure thing, dude. I won't be near a scanner for a while but I'll get on that when I get chance. Cyber Core is the only French manual I have atm.
Kool. Take your time.  :pcgs:

Before you scan, PM me and I'll give you some info (scanner settings).

Thanks.  :pcgs:

Mathius

Quote from: esteban on 03/20/2014, 04:16 PM

Esty, do you have the French manual for Monster Lair in your database?

esteban

Quote from: Mathius on 03/20/2014, 06:26 PM

I have NO FRENCH ANYTHING IMG

I will gladly take all frenchie LeFrench.

Thank you.  :pcgs:

Mathius

Quote from: esteban on 03/20/2014, 06:52 PM
Quote from: Mathius on 03/20/2014, 06:26 PM

I have NO FRENCH ANYTHING IMG

I will gladly take all frenchie LeFrench.

Thank you.  :pcgs:
I don't have a working scanner, but I'll let you borrow it for scanning purposes if you want. :)

Tatsujin

just in from a hard off out in the wild :D

IMG
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

xcrement5x

Nice goodies Tats!  I've got Linkle River Story but my copy is pretty badly sunfaded.

esadajr

Sexy Parodius is the shit. What is that dating sim left to Raycrisis?
Gaming since 1985

Mishran

Got my little girl a copy of Donkey Kong Land to play on my Super Gameboy. Not sure if the $7 I paid for it was a good deal for the cart and case, but she likes playing it. That alone makes it worth the price.

roflmao

I picked up Mass Effect 3 for the XB360 yesterday for $10 @ Walmart.  I loved the first 2 so at $10 it was a no-brainer.  I'm already a few hours into it and enjoying it quite a bit.  I'm assuming it's a chain-wide sale, but if anyone would like me to pick one up for them and ship it your way, just send me a PM.

bob

i got a surprise package from a member overseas on the retro gamer forum.
fire wrestling 3 and a shanghai huey.  you gotta love when games just show up unexpectedly.

:dance:

Psycho Punch

Just bought a NES. Just waiting it to arrive with a crappy pack-in by the seller (Double Dribble). I also bought a 5 screw gyromite in anticipation but I got my ass owned because it wasn't a converted famicom board. At least I can use it to do some repros.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 03/24/2014, 01:21 AMJust bought a NES. Just waiting it to arrive with a crappy pack-in by the seller (Double Dribble). I also bought a 5 screw gyromite in anticipation but I got my ass owned because it wasn't a converted famicom board. At least I can use it to do some repros.
Yeah, you have to get a close look at it, or be able to feel the weight difference to spot one with the famicom convertor in it.
--DragonmasterDan

bob

doesnt the late release top loader play famis?

Mathius

Quote from: galam on 03/24/2014, 09:59 AMdoesnt the late release top loader play famis?
I do not think so. Only some of the US Famiclones do.

chany60126

Quote from: Mathius on 03/24/2014, 10:40 AM
Quote from: galam on 03/24/2014, 09:59 AMdoesnt the late release top loader play famis?
I do not think so. Only some of the US Famiclones do.
I believe Mati's right. If I remember correctly, US top loaders can play PAL NES games.

xcrement5x

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 03/24/2014, 05:08 AM
Quote from: Psycho Punch on 03/24/2014, 01:21 AMJust bought a NES. Just waiting it to arrive with a crappy pack-in by the seller (Double Dribble). I also bought a 5 screw gyromite in anticipation but I got my ass owned because it wasn't a converted famicom board. At least I can use it to do some repros.
Yeah, you have to get a close look at it, or be able to feel the weight difference to spot one with the famicom convertor in it.
Yeah, I've been on the lookout for one for awhile and I haven't been able to find one in the wild yet.  I've been told the key is being a 5 screw, and having the pins off the PCB lead a certain way. 

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: chany60126 on 03/24/2014, 10:47 AMI believe Mati's right. If I remember correctly, US top loaders can play PAL NES games.
Correct. Though some PAL games don't run at all or run glitchy.

Quote from: guest on 03/24/2014, 11:57 AMYeah, I've been on the lookout for one for awhile and I haven't been able to find one in the wild yet.  I've been told the key is being a 5 screw, and having the pins off the PCB lead a certain way. 
It's far easier to tell by the weight. The carts with the convertor in them are much heavier, particularly at the bottom. Also, Gyromite is far from the only cart with the convertor. A lot of the black box games are known to have them. ALL copies of Stack-Up have the convertor as well, but that's also the most difficult black box cart to obtain loose.
--DragonmasterDan

xcrement5x

New shizzle over the last week!

IMG
2013-03-17 Misc Finds by xcrement5x, on Flickr
From the Thrift:
Tomb Raider [PS1, Greatest Hits]
2X PS2 Memory Cards, 99c Each

From Craigslist:
Custom Shell Gameboy with 4 AA Batteries
Game Boy Flash Cart with driver CD and cable

IMG
2014-03-20 New Printer by xcrement5x, on Flickr
Brother HL-3140CW Color Laser Printer.  Was on sale last week from NewEgg and saved almost $80 off the regular price!  HP can now go die in a fire with their crappy inkjets.

IMG
Witch and the Hundred Knights Collector's Edition for PS3 - NISA Store Exclusive by xcrement5x, on Flickr

Witch and the Hundred Knights Collector's Edition for Playstation 3 - NISA Store Exclusive, also comes with a Petite Nendoroid; Direct from NIS America! 
Comes with:
  - The Witch and the Hundred Knight™ for PS3, includes reversible front cover
  - Full color, hardcover art book
  - 2-disc original soundtrack with jewel case
  - Collector's box
  - Metallia Nendoroid Petite
http://store.nisamerica.com/Exclusives/The-Witch-and-the-Hundred-Knight-Limited-Edition-plus-Figure

Nando

So, is the Witch game, a Zelda like game? Take pics of the artbook please  [-o&lt;

:D

HailingTheThings

I may or may not have received a copy of Witch and the Hundred Knights Collector's Edition also, as well, but I got it for a friendo, probably shoulda got one ferr myself. Oops.
IMG

NightWolve

After recently renting the third Riddick movie, I kind of thought about the videogame that was made back when the 2nd one was released in 2004, "The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay." After searching for it, turns out a 2nd videogame was made in 2009 which I never heard about, "Assault on Dark Athena." What they did for the version that I wound up buying is include the first game also, but the upgraded later "Developer's Cut" which has two new areas and new enemies, so a great two-for-the-price-of-one deal here!

Haven't bought a new videogame in a long time, think the last one was "Metal Gear Solid 4" for PS3, and I still don't have a PS3 console... Heh. But yeah, I liked the Riddick movies, own the first two and the anime ("Dark Fury"), and thought I should own the PC games finally to get the extra added story that they provide. The third movie was straight-to-video quality, and it was nice of Vin Diesel to fight to get it made for the fans, so it's the thought that counts (Universal didn't wanna make another, so Vin Diesel said give me the IP Rights then so I can do something with the series, etc.! A deal was struck where he traded out his appearance fee for a cameo in one of the Fast'n'Furious movies for the IP Rights to the Riddick franchise, so pretty badass if you ask me!). So yeah, it was low-budget and nowhere near as ambitious as the 2nd, so you get what was paid for obviously, but nice that another one was made nonetheless...

Order link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121295172198

Price with S/H: $7.79 (new) - Was instantly shipped, got to me in 3 days after order, so good seller!
Atari sells it $19.99 new, so eBay for the win in this case!

IMGIMG

IMG

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Sparky

Nightwolve, I am with ya man, the ridick movies have all been entertaining and I played throw the games a few years back and enjoyed them. And just like you never heard of the first release but was equally good to play and a cool bonus they added.

Worth playing man :)
Oh mine was for the ps3 and looked really good, so I can only assume the PC version will even be better