10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

The “What-Did-You-Buy-Today?” Thread

Started by Tatsujin, 06/15/2008, 05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NecroPhile

Quote from: cr8zykuban0 on 02/03/2015, 02:56 AMforeals? i might have to look into getting a saturn copy. i recently got children of the atom on jap saturn. cant wait to try it out
Type out Japan in full or abbreviate it using something like JP.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

synbiosfan

The Saturn's cart slot is made poorly so this is common.  Not many options,  clean everything and try again repeatedly. There's a multi region bios you can have installed too. Or buy JP Saturn with cart issues.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: synbiosfan on 02/04/2015, 03:35 PMThe Saturn's cart slot is made poorly so this is common.  Not many options,  clean everything and try again repeatedly. There's a multi region bios you can have installed too. Or buy JP Saturn with cart issues.
Tell me more of this multi region bios. Where might I buy one??

SignOfZeta

The difference between XMen vs SF on PS and SS is so significant, it's like comparing an 80s arcade game ported to both NES and Genesis. The Sony version is so incredibly fucked up and terrible that you can't even play it the same way. It's a different game and a much worse one. It ain't worth a broke dick. The Saturn version has a *little* bit of slowdown and a few minor issues, but it's otherwise arcade exact. The SS version is one of the greatest arcade ports of all time, the PS one is...there are much worse arcade ports, but mostly for 2600 or NES. The thing sucks.
IMG

Mathius

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 02/04/2015, 04:37 PMThe difference between XMen vs SF on PS and SS is so significant, it's like comparing an 80s arcade game ported to both NES and Genesis. The Sony version is so incredibly fucked up and terrible that you can't even play it the same way. It's a different game and a much worse one. It ain't worth a broke dick. The Saturn version has a *little* bit of slowdown and a few minor issues, but it's otherwise arcade exact. The SS version is one of the greatest arcade ports of all time, the PS one is...there are much worse arcade ports, but mostly for 2600 or NES. The thing sucks.
Zeta? You're alive! *hugs*

synbiosfan

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 02/04/2015, 03:43 PM
Quote from: synbiosfan on 02/04/2015, 03:35 PMThe Saturn's cart slot is made poorly so this is common.  Not many options,  clean everything and try again repeatedly. There's a multi region bios you can have installed too. Or buy JP Saturn with cart issues.
Give me a second, walking the dog.

Here's 26 pages on ASSEMbler about it

https://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?33602-Sega-Saturn-Region-Free-BIOS

Some of the guys are  Bad_Ad84, Zer0-2k11, and APE who I'd contact. You might see if any of them are doing a battery mod & modchip while your at it.

APE is in California iirc.

SignOfZeta

Can you summarize what the purpose is of this BIOS?
IMG

Medic_wheat

Quote from: synbiosfan on 02/04/2015, 06:20 PM

https://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?33602-Sega-Saturn-Region-Free-BIOS

Some of the guys are  Bad_Ad84, Zer0-2k11, and APE who I'd contact. You might see if any of them are doing a battery mod & modchip while your at it.

Will do thank you very much

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 02/04/2015, 06:44 PMCan you summarize what the purpose is of this BIOS?
It allows you to boot out-of-region games without using an action replay cart, which is nice if your saturn has a botched cart slot.  There are also a few games that come with and require their own proprietary carts, and therefore won't work on another region system with action replay.
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

synbiosfan

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 02/04/2015, 06:44 PMCan you summarize what the purpose is of this BIOS?
You pop in any region disc (not cd-r) and play. No switches, carts or buttons, just pop in the cd.

Region free period.

If you have a V Saturn or Hi Saturn, you can still have the same start up logo too.

One of the games Venom is referring to is a Ultraman fighter.

cr8zykuban0

Type out Japan in full or abbreviate it using something like JP.[/quote]
true that.

Quote from: synbiosfan on 02/04/2015, 06:20 PM

damn, i would love to have this done on my saturn! i will look into this! thank you sir!

Mathius

Quote from: synbiosfan on 02/04/2015, 07:05 PM
You pop in any region disc (not cd-r) and play. No switches, carts or buttons, just pop in the cd.

Region free period.

If you have a V Saturn or Hi Saturn, you can still have the same start up logo too.

One of the games Venom is referring to is a Ultraman fighter.
I would trade both my Saturns in for a V or Hi Saturn. So sexy!

SignOfZeta

I've been doing that with a two wire switch mod for 16 years. It must do something else.

Edit: wasn't reading latest post...

Anyway, so it lets you play burns. Got it. Whooptie frriggn do.
IMG

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 02/05/2015, 03:18 AMI've been doing that with a two wire switch mod for 16 years. It must do something else.

If you happen to have a Euro region disc like say English Keio's Flying Squadron 2, a region free BIOS is an improvement over a US/JP only region toggle switch.
--DragonmasterDan

xcrement5x

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 02/05/2015, 03:18 AMI've been doing that with a two wire switch mod for 16 years. It must do something else.

Actually the multi-region bios doesn't let you play burns, you still need a modchip for that.  It just allows you to stick a retail disc in regardless of region and it will play.  If you install a modchip as well you should be able to play any game or backup regardless of region without swapping.  I've got a couple units I'm hoping to do these mods on once I get some time in the future.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

SignOfZeta

So it offers absolutely nothing over the switch mod (adding Europe is just as easy to adding Japan,  just another wire and another pole on the switch) or inline CD-ROM authentication spoofer "mod chip" other than being able to choose your boot animation.

I was just wondering, since I really like the Saturn and if something like the Neo Geo UniBIOS came along I'd want it for sure. This isn't it though.
IMG

xcrement5x

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 02/05/2015, 01:13 PMSo it offers absolutely nothing over the switch mod (adding Europe is just as easy to adding Japan,  just another wire and another pole on the switch) or inline CD-ROM authentication spoofer "mod chip" other than being able to choose your boot animation.

I was just wondering, since I really like the Saturn and if something like the Neo Geo UniBIOS came along I'd want it for sure. This isn't it though.
Yeah, I THINK the problem with making an all in one solution for the Saturn is that the CD verification happens on the laser assembly and not on the bios portion, and then it is passed back to the motherboard to do whatever magic with. 

ALSO, since this is the haul thread:

IMG
Hudson's CD Game Music Collection 93 by xcrement5x, on Flickr

Got this from beemer recently and NecroPhile pointed me towards where to get some files to print out inserts.  It looks quite awesome, and the tunes themselves are bitchin' too.

Listen here (not mine):
http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Hudson+s+CD+Game+Music+Collection+93/3617620
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

NecroPhile

Heros.  It still makes me laugh.  :lol:

LostFlunky

I installed the switchless mod posted on Gamesx 10+ years ago and never looked back. 

It is great... the reset button switches between regions.

http://www.gamesx.com/importmod/sat_switchless.htm

bartre

speaking of region mods, I did this tonight:
http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/sega-dreamcast-region-free-bios/

I'll get around to doing the saturn one sooner or later.

xcrement5x

Quote from: bartre on 02/06/2015, 05:05 AMspeaking of region mods, I did this tonight:
http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/sega-dreamcast-region-free-bios/

I'll get around to doing the saturn one sooner or later.
That looks really cool!  I especially like the Katana bootup animation:
Dreamcast Boot1

Mathius

That bootup animation is pretty freakin' sweet. They should have used that one for the consumer DC.

bartre

agreed, but i do have a certain soft spot for that water droppy, echoey sound that they went with.

xcrement5x

Quote from: bartre on 02/06/2015, 05:47 PMagreed, but i do have a certain soft spot for that water droppy, echoey sound that they went with.
Lol, my memories are always:
Relaxing water noises, Sega logo, and then skritchy-skritchy noises from the Dreamcast as it starts to read my disc.

vmorr

Picked up StarFox 64 3D and Fire Emblem: Awakening for the 3DS today. Got the pair for a good price, but I already have a copy of StarFox so I'm gonna list it on eBay and hopefully make my money for the pair back (or maybe a little somethin' on top). Its kinda silly, I guess StarFox has been "out of print" for a while so people are eating copies up like the Amiibo's. I bought my first copy for $5 from a store that was clearing them not even that long ago :-k

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 02/06/2015, 10:11 PMLol, my memories are always:
Relaxing water noises, Sega logo, and then skritchy-skritchy noises from the Dreamcast as it starts to read my disc.
I vividly remember the sound of 4-8 VMUs beeping when you boot the thing up.
--DragonmasterDan

Medic_wheat

Some recent pick ups. Might update more when I get home as I often forget to do that.

First up two game CD cases from a thrift short. I like that they are official GC and PS1 cases and getting them for a total of $10 was also nice.

IMG
IMG

These will really help as I have a few GC loose games that just don't look right in most game sleeve as they are tiny CDs.

IMG

Sure the SNES verson is IMO better this was for less then $10 so easy buy for me. 

IMG

This one simply looks like fun. Let's see. Dat booty!

IMG
IMG

/D5179DF8-49F2-4B49-BADD-219B220417E5_zps59lgyn7u.jpg

IMG

Thank you fellow member  X element for selling these handbooks!  They just came in and will be in a good home.

IMG

He even threw in some free OBEY. Such a sweetie.

IMG

Last up what looks to be a fun little PSP title.

esadajr

Quote from: guest on 02/06/2015, 10:11 PM
Quote from: bartre on 02/06/2015, 05:47 PMagreed, but i do have a certain soft spot for that water droppy, echoey sound that they went with.
Lol, my memories are always:
Exactly, why would someone want to "fix" the noise is beyond me.
Gaming since 1985

cr8zykuban0

Medic_wheat

Quote from: cr8zykuban0 on 02/07/2015, 08:32 PMthis beauty just came in!

IMG
Your Neo Geo library is REALLY stepping up.

I plan on refocusing on my MCS wants middle of the year. 

For the first half of 2015 I plan on finishing my NES want list.  I should be able to comp,ete it as there are only 28 left from my master NES list.  Some in the $10-$30 dollar range. Thank of course a few in the $130-150 range with the most expensive being little Samson. The only good thing is once I get these last few NES games I will be done with my NES collecting. Well minus a few Famicom only games I would like to get such as nuts n'milk for example.

cr8zykuban0

thanks medic! ive been focusing a lot of mvs and cd as of late.  im a big neo guy and im hoping to hit 70 aes carts by the end of febuary.

best of luck on your nes collection! I really wanna get into famicom collecting. im about 20 fami games in so far

Medic_wheat

One thing I like about Neo Geo MVS/AES games is he they look n a shelf lined up. Like rows of cocain. 

More so when in a shock bos or those mini cardboard boxes that one guy makes (as they take less space and look very uniformed with those sticker labels.

They have this hefty look to them and most people haven't a clue what they are looking at.

cr8zykuban0

exactly I know what you mean. the mvs/aes games look like rows of dollar signs but money well put to use

i have seen the mini mvs boxes and they look awesome but i totally perfer the shockboxes. im on love with them just like im in love with the coco!!!

cjameslv

Scored an really nice NEC XV MultiSync 29A+ presentation monitor today. Took it apart and cleaned it up. Crazy setup, it has rgb, svideo and composite on front and back and a row of dip switches. Huge setup menu controlling all the geometry  :dance: Sits nice next to my Sony BVM now. Think this will hold me off from hunting the NEC XM29 for now lol.

IMG

IMG

IMG

Medic_wheat

Holly smokes that set up!  I can only imagine how much weight you got on that entertainment stand with those two monitors on top.

cjameslv

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 02/08/2015, 07:07 PMHolly smokes that set up!  I can only imagine how much weight you got on that entertainment stand with those two monitors on top.
Ya few hundred pounds. It's a solid wood entertainment stand though, not the typical weak LCD tv kind :)

cr8zykuban0

awesome find on that tv chad. i need a tv stand like that with a few more shelves for my retro set up because what i have now, sucks ass!!!!!

Medic_wheat

Quote from: cr8zykuban0 on 02/08/2015, 09:03 PMawesome find on that tv chad. i need a tv stand like that with a few more shelves for my retro set up because what i have now, sucks ass!!!!!
That 2 by 4 seems to work so far.

cjameslv

Quote from: cr8zykuban0 on 02/08/2015, 09:03 PMawesome find on that tv chad. i need a tv stand like that with a few more shelves for my retro set up because what i have now, sucks ass!!!!!
Well i would get a bigger one but i split my sytems between 3 rooms so keeping those 6 as my mains works for now. Rest are in my bedroom or other living room.

Medic_wheat

IMG

IMG

Just got our stroller put together.  Baby boy coming sooner every day. I might wait until he is 2 before letting him get his mega man and Porto man on

cjameslv

Medic_wheat

Quote from: cjameslv on 02/08/2015, 09:46 PMHeh crotchet came out good.
Got it off esty. Was originally for my nephew but my sister wouldn't allow me to give it to him. To young and afraid he would chock on it. 

Well since I am having my own kid he can have it lol.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: cjameslv on 02/08/2015, 06:13 PMScored an really nice NEC XV MultiSync 29A+ presentation monitor today. Took it apart and cleaned it up. Crazy setup, it has rgb, svideo and composite on front and back and a row of dip switches. Huge setup menu controlling all the geometry  :dance: Sits nice next to my Sony BVM now. Think this will hold me off from hunting the NEC XM29 for now lol.
Very nice pickup with the NEC monitor
--DragonmasterDan

NecroPhile

I forgot to post these goodies from xele last week:

IMG

The pachinko controller is bigger than I'd expected, and now I know what the yellow flipper thingy is for: you rotate it clockwise to increase ball speed, and it's spring loaded to return to zero.

Opethian

IMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: Opethian on 02/09/2015, 05:47 PMdat magicola!
It's my headstart on this year's secret santa.  :mrgreen:

Mathius

^^I loved F22 Interceptor when I was growing up. Played it to completion several times. It hasn't aged well but I'm sure it's still a good play.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 02/09/2015, 05:18 PMI forgot to post these goodies from xele last week:

IMG

The pachinko controller is bigger than I'd expected, and now I know what the yellow flipper thingy is for: you rotate it clockwise to increase ball speed, and it's spring loaded to return to zero.
So, I watched some "how to play pachinko" videos (6-12 months ago?) and it shows folks twisting a "knob"....I thought it varied the rate of fire. So is the rate of balls shooting constant, but you adjust the speed they launch at? Or is it a "combo" adjusting both "rate of fire" and "velocity"?

I have problems. I know.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

cjameslv

Quote from: esteban on 02/10/2015, 02:00 AM
Quote from: guest on 02/09/2015, 05:18 PMI forgot to post these goodies from xele last week:

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8665/16299035290_6494bf27ac_o.jpg

So, I watched some "how to play pachinko" videos (6-12 months ago?) and it shows folks twisting a "knob"....I thought it varied the rate of fire. So is the rate of balls shooting constant, but you adjust the speed they launch at? Or is it a "combo" adjusting both "rate of fire" and "velocity"?

I have problems. I know.
Just some advice, when you "twist the knob" use lubrication. Just saying friction is a bitch!

NecroPhile

Quote from: esteban on 02/10/2015, 02:00 AMSo, I watched some "how to play pachinko" videos (6-12 months ago?) and it shows folks twisting a "knob"....I thought it varied the rate of fire. So is the rate of balls shooting constant, but you adjust the speed they launch at? Or is it a "combo" adjusting both "rate of fire" and "velocity"?

I have problems. I know.
The knob is just for velocity - rotate it left or right to aim where the balls land at the top after shooting up the side.  You press button I to fire; I just held it down, letting it fire away as the balls fell back down while I fiddled with the velocity.