RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime

Started by DragonmasterDan, 07/08/2011, 12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

esteban

For the uninitiated, here is the theme song:
Don't worry, you can sing along to "Dangerous...Most Dangerous" in the chorus...
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

turboswimbz

Quote from: esteban on 07/21/2015, 03:28 PMFor the uninitiated, here is the theme song:
Don't worry, you can sing along to "Dangerous...Most Dangerous" in the chorus...
OH MAH GOUTTTTTTTTTT!

that song is all whail whail whail "Dangerous...MOst Dangerous" and now it is forever stuck with me
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

SignOfZeta

Man. I really pissed off Nighwolve.
IMG

ClodBusted

esteban

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 07/21/2015, 04:24 PMMan. I really pissed off Nighwolve.
Yes. I can't help but honk that you had that diatribe bottled up for quite some time and then....vwooooosh! You just unleashed that deluge...

Anyway... As ClodBusted is want to say:

MD GEISE

SignOfZeta

That may be true, but why did he just explode like that? It either indicates a history of diagnosed mental health issues or...a yet to be diagnosed list of mental health issues. On this forum of all places, someone's going to explode like that just because I called them a psychopath? I've been called much nastier shit than that like a million times. It must be the specific insult I used.
IMG

ClodBusted

I'd suggest re-reading your own post that started it and just thinking about it, since there must be something in there that angered Nightwolve. In his case, I'd be somehow felt offended too, but since English isn't my native language and thus I'm only able to read so far between the lines but not go in-depth, I mostly shrug annoying things off on this particular forum.

Raizen1984

There's nothing worth thinking about here.  When you insult someone, especially for an asinine reason like this, it's always going to rub them the wrong way.

Everyone deals with things like this differently.  For example, when Zeta implied I was a racist for not wanting to play a visual novel in Japanese, a language I cannot read or speak, I just shrugged it off.  Some people are just more vocal than others.

VenomMacbeth

Speaking of Daft Punk on the anime thread, anyone here seen Interstella 5555?
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

datbuta

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 07/22/2015, 03:08 PMSpeaking of Daft Punk on the anime thread, anyone here seen Interstella 5555?
I have... and thats an awesome movie to go with the soundtrack

xcrement5x

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 07/22/2015, 03:08 PMSpeaking of Daft Punk on the anime thread, anyone here seen Interstella 5555?
Yeah, that's an awesome album and movie.  I don't think there is a US blu-ray though unfortunately.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guest on 07/22/2015, 04:09 AMI'd suggest re-reading your own post that started it and just thinking about it, since there must be something in there that angered Nightwolve. In his case, I'd be somehow felt offended too, but since English isn't my native language and thus I'm only able to read so far between the lines but not go in-depth, I mostly shrug annoying things off on this particular forum.
Quote from: assholeFirst off, anyone who isn't completely reduced to a blubbering wreck by GotF is a certifiable psychopath. I always knew, now you've given us proof.
Is that *really* that bad? All this stuff about rating the quality of the movie or respecting opinions and whatever, it doesn't matter. My point was that anyone who wasn't emotionally deaf would be massively moved by this movie, their enjoyment or where it ranks in the Ghibli world was never a thing I brought up.

To me, this movie is a metric of human empathy. If it doesn't effect you, you don't connect to humanity very well. This isn't an insult as much as it is a mental health diagnosis. Psychopaths are real people with a real condition. It's like saying, "there's snot running down your nose, you must have a cold."  This is obviously not a professional opinion, but it is an opinion, and since you 21st century pussies demand that every opinion be respected regardless of how completely ignorant it is, then I think you have nothing to complain about per your own rules.

Obviously ClodBusted isn't a psychopath because he found the movie too disturbing to enjoy. He is moved by human suffering.
IMG

ClodBusted

Nobody enjoys Grave of the fireflies. Period.

Digi.k

yup did enjoy it despite it feeling like a long music video.

NightWolve

OK, from the top, the review of his crazed psycho fanboy behavior :

Quote from: NightWolve on 07/20/2015, 10:10 PM* Person A pops in a thread to share an opinion on a movie (of the anime variety in this case):
Quote from: NightWolve on 07/17/2015, 12:45 PMI saw that a few weeks ago actually. It's not my favorite in their library, but it was alright. I can't recall seeing an anti-war anime before so that was a first.
* Person B, apparently so butthurt by the above opinion has a crazed, emotional overreaction and pops in said thread to assault Person A's character in this way:
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 07/17/2015, 09:58 PMFirst off, anyone who isn't completely reduced to a blubbering wreck by GotF is a certifiable psychopath. I always knew, now you've given us proof.

As for anti-war anime...I guess you haven't seen very much anime.
So, Person B calls Person A a psychopath, claims his above opinion on a movie gives proof of it, adds in the fact that he has baggage associated with the view to back it up (the "I always knew" addition), etc. whatever that is...

* In a great twist, Person B now accuses Person A of an overreaction to that level of character assault over a brief opinion on not really being a fan of a particular movie... Imagine if Person A had outright trashed the movie!
So the guy is 100% clearly in the wrong. Case closed on that! Firebombs a perfectly civil thread, then plays stupid and blames the target's reaction (e.g. "no no no, forget me, his reaction! his his his!!!")! The above analysis/conclusion is unimpeachable, to borrow his word!

But now fast forward to present behavior. We see a continued troll strategy. It appears it'll be to drag focus away from his crazed, emotional, PMS-vaginal overreaction to a perfectly civil opinion on the movie in question, and try to focus on his mark/target to repetitiously repeat the same charge of psychopath, in other words, not only will he not apologize, he instead is digging in and this could be due to several reasons. It may be his arrogance/bigotry/pride is so far gone, it's literally impossible for him to admit any wrongdoing and/or he is revealing traits of a genuine sociopath, etc. He hopes others will seriously take the bait in this strategy and engage with him to aid in this whole pathetic, immature, petty exchange he caused!

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 07/21/2015, 09:07 PMGUYS, HELP!!

I JUST...DON'T UNDERSTAND... I JUST DON'T...

NEVERMIND THAT I'M A GREAT BIG OLE VAGINA THAT COULDN'T HANDLE THIS MASTERPIECE OF AN ANIME ONLY BEING THOUGHT OF AS "ALRIGHT" IN TERMS OF QUALITY! IT'S A GODDAMN MASTERPIECE AND ANYONE WHO SAYS OTHERWISE CAN SUCK MY LEFT ONE AND DIE!!!!!! DIE I SAY!! DIE!!!!!

BUT SERIOUSLY, WHY WOULD ANYONE GET ANGRY BEING CALLED A PSYCHOPATH AND THEN "EXPLODE" BY CALLING ME A PSYCHOPATH AND TELLING ME TO GO F--K MYSELF ???

I JUST... I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND...

I'VE BEEN CALLED NASTIER SHIT MILLIONS OF TIMES OVER THE INTERNET! MILLIONS!!!! I KID YOU NOT!! I HAVE A CHARMING PERSONALITY, WHAT CAN I SAY! I'M A CERTIFIED A$$HOLE!!! MY TROLL IS STRONG!

YOU WANT EXAMPLES ?? SURE!

LET'S SEE, OFF THE TOP OF MY SNAPPERHEAD, I CAN LIST THE FOLLOWING:

AN EGOTISTICAL EGOMANIAC WITH AN EGO THE SIZE OF JUPITER, A TROLL, A PIECE OF SHIT KEYBOARD WARRIOR, A BIGOTED ARROGANT a$$hole, A MANCHILD, A MONSTER, A BIG OLE VAGINA, A NARCISSISTIC DRAMA QUEEN, ETC. AWWW SHIT, I'M OUT, BUT YOU GET THE IDEA, KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN' ?? SINCE I'M A HUGE INTERNET A$$HOLE TROLL AND HAVE BEEN CALLED EVERYTHING IN THE BOOK, I JUST WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND WHY SOMEBODY ELSE WOULD GET ANGRY AT INSULTS ANYMORE UNLIKE ME...

WHY FEEL INSULTED BY AN INSULT ANYMORE ?? IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE TO ME ANYMORE!
The better, REAL question here obviously is why would anyone have such an explosive reaction to somebody else not liking or loving a movie as much as they do ?? I doubt this could all ever easily be explained let alone understood... :/

I think this whole sad and embarrassing incident on Snapperhead Chad's part brings up a good tangent discussion on the nature of trolls. Just so happens that a new article on The Washington Compost went up where they did a study to answer the question of what makes them so nasty. It's not detailed, but I think it applies well in his case. Let's take a took!

"Science Reveals What Makes Trolls so Nasty"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/science-reveals-what-makes-trolls-so-nasty/2015/07/20/
IMG

QuotePeople who enjoyed trolling had much higher rates of dark traits such as sadism, narcissism, psychopathy and Machiavellianism — so much so that "it might be said that online trolls are prototypical everyday sadists," the authors concluded.

The study also found a correlation between enjoyment of trolling and the amount of time a person spent commenting online — perhaps explaining why so many corners of the Internet seem overrun by trolls.
Hmmm, yessss, interesting. So according to the graphic, sadism was the top reason for trolling. I think that might be on to something with Snapperhead Chad here I'm afraid... I'd add arrogance, bigotry, egomania, nerd pride, etc. The most striking thing I would say here is that he demonstrates clear characteristics of a sociopath. It's looking like it would be IMPOSSIBLE for him to admit/comprehend/process that he did/said anything wrong from A to B if you assumed he wasn't trolling and this was all serious - that would be the fundamental problem here. I was thinking earlier that simple nerd pride is what makes it impossible for him to admit any over-the-top wrongdoing, but the real reason might just be much worse as mentioned... We'll never know for sure I suppose. Ah well. :/ The troll aspect to his behavior is 100% though.

Quote from: Raizen1984 on 07/22/2015, 02:51 PMThere's nothing worth thinking about here.  When you insult someone, especially for an asinine reason like this, it's always going to rub them the wrong way.

Everyone deals with things like this differently.  For example, when Zeta implied I was a racist for not wanting to play a visual novel in Japanese, a language I cannot read or speak, I just shrugged it off.  Some people are just more vocal than others.
Yeah, don't fall for the bait, Raizen, his shitty, ill-conceived troll strategy is not that hard to discern... He's a lot better than that when he really wants to troll, so that's far from his best work on PCEFX. Color me unimpressed here...

I'm afraid I missed the exchange where he implied you're a racist but somehow I'm not surprised. Sounds like there might be Japanophilic excesses based on your experiences with him. I see elements of a cyberbully that wants to browbeat someone into liking something as much as he does with psychological attacks...

Yeah, I'm understanding better the feeling of another PCEFX member who refers to him as "a piece of shit keyboard warrior." I'm bothered by the fact that I stood up for him and referred to his informative posts on gaming at times as a defense and that he is a valuable member. I failed to see him for the piece of shit that he is and it took this exchange to do so, thus I feel a bit foolish. It bothered me enough to go back and tell that person he was right all along and to laugh with me at this thread! I try to correct my shit when possible, so yeah, this is not somebody I would ever defend again.

Basically, SnapperChad jumped the shark for me... He went full retard, and as Robert Downing Jr. taught us, you never go full retard... Your career cannot recover in the aftermath and so I'll never look at him the same way again to be quite honest. Also, I wouldn't wanna watch this movie again at all because I think I will forever hold the association of what happened in this thread; it'll forever remind me of a psycho nutjob fanboy ripping my head off for not finding it the masterpiece that he does, etc... One reason I considered the possibility is because I watched it in Japanese with English subtitles, so watching it for the sake of the English dubs would've given me a replay reason, but f--k that shit now... Heh.

Raizen1984

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 07/22/2015, 04:43 PMThis isn't an insult as much as it is a mental health diagnosis. Psychopaths are real people with a real condition.
Right.  So if I called you a retard, it wouldn't be an insult, but a diagnosis of your lack of mental function.

TR0N

Finished watching the dirty pair tv series earlier.What else can i say it's girls with guns etc.Just turn off you're brain and have fun watching this 80's classic.Yeah it was released back in 2010 on dvd but i got around to picking them up finally.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BY6XMKE
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

ClodBusted

I got the TV series DVDs back then and later the OVA series + movies. I went through the movies and half of the TV series yet. Good entertainment. The animation for the "Project Eden" movie is very good, and the story holds up well.

So much fun watching the Dirty Pair, erm... I mean Lovely Angels causing havoc.

PunkCryborg

Quote from: NightWolve on 07/22/2015, 08:36 PMOK, from the top, the review of his crazed psycho fanboy behavior :

Quote from: NightWolve on 07/20/2015, 10:10 PM* Person A pops in a thread to share an opinion on a movie (of the anime variety in this case):
Quote from: NightWolve on 07/17/2015, 12:45 PMI saw that a few weeks ago actually. It's not my favorite in their library, but it was alright. I can't recall seeing an anti-war anime before so that was a first.
* Person B, apparently so butthurt by the above opinion has a crazed, emotional overreaction and pops in said thread to assault Person A's character in this way:
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 07/17/2015, 09:58 PMFirst off, anyone who isn't completely reduced to a blubbering wreck by GotF is a certifiable psychopath. I always knew, now you've given us proof.

So, Person B calls Person A a psychopath, claims his above opinion on a movie gives proof of it, adds in the fact that he has baggage associated with the view to back it up (the "I always knew" addition), etc. whatever that is...

* In a great twist, Person B now accuses Person A of an overreaction to that level of character assault over a brief opinion on not really being a fan of a particular movie... Imagine if Person A had outright trashed the movie!
So the guy is 100% clearly in the wrong. Case closed on that! Firebombs a perfectly civil thread, then plays stupid and blames the target's reaction (e.g. "no no no, forget me, his reaction! his his his!!!")! The above analysis/conclusion is unimpeachable, to borrow his word!

But now fast forward to present behavior. We see a continued troll strategy. It appears it'll be to drag focus away from his crazed, emotional, PMS-vaginal overreaction to a perfectly civil opinion on the movie in question, and try to focus on his mark/target to repetitiously repeat the same charge of psychopath, in other words, not only will he not apologize, he instead is digging in and this could be due to several reasons. It may be his arrogance/bigotry/pride is so far gone, it's literally impossible for him to admit any wrongdoing and/or he is revealing traits of a genuine sociopath, etc. He hopes others will seriously take the bait in this strategy and engage with him to aid in this whole pathetic, immature, petty exchange he caused!

NEVERMIND THAT I'M A GREAT BIG OLE VAGINA THAT COULDN'T HANDLE THIS MASTERPIECE OF AN ANIME ONLY BEING THOUGHT OF AS "ALRIGHT" IN TERMS OF QUALITY! IT'S A GODDAMN MASTERPIECE AND ANYONE WHO SAYS OTHERWISE CAN SUCK MY LEFT ONE AND DIE!!!!!! DIE I SAY!! DIE!!!!!

BUT SERIOUSLY, WHY WOULD ANYONE GET ANGRY BEING CALLED A PSYCHOPATH AND THEN "EXPLODE" BY CALLING ME A PSYCHOPATH AND TELLING ME TO GO F--K MYSELF ???

I'VE BEEN CALLED NASTIER SHIT MILLIONS OF TIMES OVER THE INTERNET! MILLIONS!!!! I KID YOU NOT!! I HAVE A CHARMING PERSONALITY, WHAT CAN I SAY! I'M A CERTIFIED A$$HOLE!!! MY TROLL IS STRONG!

AN EGOTISTICAL EGOMANIAC WITH AN EGO THE SIZE OF JUPITER, A TROLL, A PIECE OF SHIT KEYBOARD WARRIOR, A BIGOTED ARROGANT ASSHOLE, A MANCHILD, A MONSTER, A BIG OLE VAGINA, A NARCISSISTIC DRAMA QUEEN, ETC. AWWW SHIT, I'M OUT, BUT YOU GET THE IDEA, KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN' ?? SINCE I'M A HUGE INTERNET A$$HOLE TROLL AND HAVE BEEN CALLED EVERYTHING IN THE BOOK, I JUST WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND WHY SOMEBODY ELSE WOULD GET ANGRY AT INSULTS ANYMORE UNLIKE ME...

WHY FEEL INSULTED BY AN INSULT ANYMORE ?? IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE TO ME ANYMORE!
The better, REAL question here obviously is why would anyone have such an explosive reaction to somebody else not liking or loving a movie as much as they do ?? I doubt this could all ever easily be explained let alone understood... :/

I think this whole sad and embarrassing incident on Snapperhead Chad's part brings up a good tangent discussion on the nature of trolls. Just so happens that a new article on The Washington Compost went up where they did a study to answer the question of what makes them so nasty. It's not detailed, but I think it applies well in his case. Let's take a took!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/science-reveals-what-makes-trolls-so-nasty/2015/07/20/
IMG

QuotePeople who enjoyed trolling had much higher rates of dark traits such as sadism, narcissism, psychopathy and Machiavellianism — so much so that "it might be said that online trolls are prototypical everyday sadists," the authors concluded.

The study also found a correlation between enjoyment of trolling and the amount of time a person spent commenting online — perhaps explaining why so many corners of the Internet seem overrun by trolls.
Hmmm, yessss, interesting. So according to the graphic, sadism was the top reason for trolling. I think that might be on to something with Snapperhead Chad here I'm afraid... I'd add arrogance, bigotry, egomania, nerd pride, etc. The most striking thing I would say here is that he demonstrates clear characteristics of a sociopath. It's looking like it would be IMPOSSIBLE for him to admit/comprehend/process that he did/said anything wrong from A to B if you assumed he wasn't trolling and this was all serious - that would be the fundamental problem here. I was thinking earlier that simple nerd pride is what makes it impossible for him to admit any over-the-top wrongdoing, but the real reason might just be much worse as mentioned... We'll never know for sure I suppose. Ah well. :/ The troll aspect to his behavior is 100% though.

Quote from: Raizen1984 on 07/22/2015, 02:51 PMThere's nothing worth thinking about here.  When you insult someone, especially for an asinine reason like this, it's always going to rub them the wrong way.

Yeah, don't fall for the bait, Raizen, his shitty, ill-conceived troll strategy is not that hard to discern... He's a lot better than that when he really wants to troll, so that's far from his best work on PCEFX. Color me unimpressed here...

I'm afraid I missed the exchange where he implied you're a racist but somehow I'm not surprised. Sounds like there might be Japanophilic excesses based on your experiences with him. I see elements of a cyberbully that wants to browbeat someone into liking something as much as he does with psychological attacks...

Yeah, I'm understanding better the feeling of another PCEFX member who refers to him as "a piece of shit keyboard warrior." I'm bothered by the fact that I stood up for him and referred to his informative posts on gaming at times as a defense and that he is a valuable member. I failed to see him for the piece of shit that he is and it took this exchange to do so, thus I feel a bit foolish. It bothered me enough to go back and tell that person he was right all along and to laugh with me at this thread! I try to correct my shit when possible, so yeah, this is not somebody I would ever defend again.

Basically, SnapperChad jumped the shark for me... He went full retard, and as Robert Downing Jr. taught us, you never go full retard... Your career cannot recover in the aftermath and so I'll never look at him the same way again to be quite honest. Also, I wouldn't wanna watch this movie again at all because I think I will forever hold the association of what happened in this thread; it'll forever remind me of a psycho nutjob fanboy ripping my head off for not finding it the masterpiece that he does, etc... One reason I considered the possibility is because I watched it in Japanese with English subtitles, so watching it for the sake of the English dubs would've given me a replay reason, but f--k that shit now... Heh.
I think Grave of the Fireflies was excellent but it's not really my favorite Ghibli movie and I probably would never watch it again. I've seen it 2 or 3 times which is enough for me. Which of the other Ghibli movies did you like? Did you see Princess Mononoke and Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (pre ghibli)?

xcrement5x

Princess Mononoke is a pretty stellar movie overall, and one that I normally use to introduce people to anime who are curious about it.  Production values are great, story is solid and less contrived that most Ghibili stuff, plus even though it takes place in Japan a lot of the concepts are pretty relatable for many people. 

While their movies are often very good, I think there a lot more recent movies that are also quite good.  Miyazaki et al are not the only game in town.

Really good movies I enjoyed recently are like The Girl who Lept through Time, 5 centimeters per second, and of course Summer Wars.

Summer Wars is suuuuuch a good, fun movie.  It feels almost perfectly balanced with characters, multiple stories, comedy/drama plus really well done animation.  Has anyone else here seen it?
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 07/23/2015, 11:37 AMPrincess Mononoke is a pretty stellar movie overall, and one that I normally use to introduce people to anime who are curious about it.  Production values are great, story is solid and less contrived that most Ghibili stuff, plus even though it takes place in Japan a lot of the concepts are pretty relatable for many people. 
I liked it a bit more when it was called Hols: Prince of the Sun.

QuoteWhile their movies are often very good, I think there a lot more recent movies that are also quite good.  Miyazaki et al are not the only game in town.

Really good movies I enjoyed recently are like The Girl who Lept through Time, 5 centimeters per second, and of course Summer Wars.

Summer Wars is suuuuuch a good, fun movie.  It feels almost perfectly balanced with characters, multiple stories, comedy/drama plus really well done animation.  Has anyone else here seen it?
Three excellent choices, I have DVDs of all three.

Summer Wars is my least favorite of the three. The second life that the world economy is apparently almost entirely built around that's completely insecure through me off of the concept.
--DragonmasterDan

xcrement5x

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 07/23/2015, 12:20 PM
Quote from: guest on 07/23/2015, 11:37 AMPrincess Mononoke is a pretty stellar movie overall, and one that I normally use to introduce people to anime who are curious about it.  Production values are great, story is solid and less contrived that most Ghibili stuff, plus even though it takes place in Japan a lot of the concepts are pretty relatable for many people. 
I liked it a bit more when it was called Hols: Prince of the Sun.

QuoteWhile their movies are often very good, I think there a lot more recent movies that are also quite good.  Miyazaki et al are not the only game in town.

Three excellent choices, I have DVDs of all three.

Summer Wars is my least favorite of the three. The second life that the world economy is apparently almost entirely built around that's completely insecure through me off of the concept.
With Summer Wars I felt like the characters were much more distinct and memorable than the other movies.  Yeah the whole digital system thing seemed a bit out there, but I mean I could see something similar with as connected to smartphones as people are now.

BigusSchmuck

SignOfZeta

I'm going to be perfectly honest here and say that I didn't really read the post I just quoted. It's way way too fucking huge. It's ridiculous to expect anyone to read that.

I did want to ask a question though. What on earth makes you think the WP article (which I saw the other day) somehow applies totally to me but somehow not to yourself? You're much more aggressive with people than I am these days. The wind kinda left my sails a few years ago, not sure why. I certainly don't have the energy to write up page long fake quotes of someone.

I'll try to keep this short.

I don't care what you think of any movie. It doesn't matter. All these Ghibli movies are beloved world wide. Someone not liking one of them doesn't matter. Their image is still pristine.

When I said you were a psychopath, it wasn't because of what you thought of the movie as a movie. It just wasn't. You can obsess over how you think this is about me not approving of your taste, but that's not it. Taste doesn't matter. I called you a psychopath because your reaction to the movie was like a review of a super bowl commercial. Nobody reviews Schindler's List or Three Kings completely removed from the circumstances of the subject matter. I've never read a review of The Great Dictator That didn't mention Hitler. These things just can't be separated.

You did that though. You just brushed that dust off your jeans...like Grave of the Fireflies was a less funny version of Kiki's Delivery service. Anyone who can see a movie that unpleasant and not even comment on how hard it is to watch is pretty fucking numb to humanity. Psychopath? Maybe just autistic. Maybe you're so patriotic you can't allow yourself to be drawn into a movie that portrays the Asia pacific campaign as anything but holy. I don't know what it is, I just know it's fucked. I've talked about this movie with a lot of people, and I've read a lot of reviews of it. Nobody is "meh" about this movie unless they are in the John Birch Society or they have Ass Bugers. I mentioned it. I didn't mean it even as an attack but as an observation. How could you have such a half ass "meh" attitude about something so powerful? Oh, it wasn't powerful for you? Well, that sorta proves my point. You're emotionally impaired. Abject human misery rolls over you like water. Great. I'll remember that and not mention it again for fear of massive explosions from the parts of your soul that actually do exist.

I'm sorry you feel insulted by my diagnosis. I'm sorry your opinion of me is somehow in a constant state of flux. I don't know why you care. I don't know why you stuck up for me in some dumb chat with who the fucker ever. I don't know what was said about me, why is stuck up for me, why now you aren't, or why you have such a huge emotional stake in this forum politicking crap.

A lot of people here can't stand me (a lot more would, but I don't post as much anymore) but I believe I have a decent reputation as someone who is honest about saying what they feel. I would never belabor a point by changing my story to win some sort of argument. Regardless of how inappropriate my comment was, I *genuinly* did not call you a psychopath for not liking a movie I like. I wouldn't have said anything it if it were any number of movies I like much more than Fireflies. My "psychopath" comment was used on you for the same reason I'd use it for people who own all the Faces of Death movies or who run over squirrels in their pickups on purpose or who won't donate money to a worthy cause because they used a tacky font in their flier. If you want to be pissed off at me for armchair mental health diagnosis, fine, but this fallacy you keep repeating, that I call people crazy if they don't have identical taste in movies...it isn't true. It just isn't. If it were, I'd admit it.

I failed to keep this short. I'll admit to that too.

Quote from: NightWolve on 07/22/2015, 08:36 PMOK, from the top, the review of his crazed psycho fanboy behavior :

AN EGOTISTICAL EGOMANIAC WITH AN EGO THE SIZE OF JUPITER, A TROLL, A PIECE OF SHIT KEYBOARD WARRIOR, A BIGOTED ARROGANT ASSHOLE, A MANCHILD, A MONSTER, A BIG OLE VAGINA, A NARCISSISTIC DRAMA QUEEN, ETC. AWWW SHIT, I'M OUT, BUT YOU GET THE IDEA, KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN' ?? SINCE I'M A HUGE INTERNET A$$HOLE TROLL AND HAVE BEEN CALLED EVERYTHING IN THE BOOK, I JUST WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND WHY SOMEBODY ELSE WOULD GET ANGRY AT INSULTS ANYMORE UNLIKE ME...

IMG

IMG

SignOfZeta

I didn't like Mononoke. It's well made and all, but it's basically a grown up remake of Nausicaa with way more violence and no flying. It's bleak and depressing and puts me on edge. It's also the first big use of the "giant black pudding" seen now in other Ghibli movies. It's pure quality, don't get me wrong, and if I came from any place but Ghibli it would stand out as being something very special, but to me I'd say it's probably my least favorite Ghibli movie.

I will occasionally watch the thing, which is more than I can say for Fireflies. I have the 13 disc Ghibli LD box and Fireflies has never even been opened. That's how much I enjoy watching that fucker.

The Ghibli that does it for me most consistently is Kiki's Delivery Service. The plot and characters are not the greatest, but as an animated movie it really soars. It's so so well done. The settings are so cool, the zeppelin and the bike ride and the scenes of flying over the city at night...it's Ghibl pure and total. Laputa is great a these same things, but it's a bit long.

Porco has the coolest characters. Of that I have no doubt.

Nausicaa is and always will be my favorite though. Ponyo is still "new" to me, but it's rapidly growing on me. The way there is danger, but you always feel safe. The special way it makes use of parents in a kids movie, like Totoro, is something other makes of kids movies should learn from. They can be there with the kids and adventures can still happen. Nobody has to be kidnapped or orphaned for the movie to begin.

When I watch a movie like Kiki, Porco, Ponyo, (also, Fireflies) I see what makes quality animation so special; animators. It's not what they put out that is most important, but what they take in. Sometimes you can be unaware of how special something is until you see an animator bring it to life. The way Mei moves in Totoro is...it's amazing. Only someone with the greatest observational skills can animate like that. Porco actuating the fuel pump on his plane, Nausicaa loading her rifle, the HUGE tears in Arrietty, made large because of how the relative viscocity of water changes with scale. These are things we all know l, but don't realize we know until an animator shows it to us. 
IMG

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 07/23/2015, 05:51 PMWith Summer Wars I felt like the characters were much more distinct and memorable than the other movies.  Yeah the whole digital system thing seemed a bit out there, but I mean I could see something similar with as connected to smartphones as people are now.
It was like "Second Life" somehow mixed with World of Warcraft, it was bizarre that the entire world economy was based on this.
--DragonmasterDan

TR0N

Quote from: guest on 07/23/2015, 05:02 AMI got the TV series DVDs back then and later the OVA series + movies. I went through the movies and half of the TV series yet. Good entertainment. The animation for the "Project Eden" movie is very good, and the story holds up well.

So much fun watching the Dirty Pair, erm... I mean Lovely Angels causing havoc.
Ditto i first got into dirty pair through the adam warren comics.Then what little streamline pictures released here.Damn,it sure took a long time for the tv series to make it here officially.After watching it i find it more comedic then the movies are.I enjoy project eden the most as well,best out of the three dirty pair movies.
IMG

ClodBusted

I saw Mononoke 15 years ago where it got a very limited cinematic release in Europe - when Buena Vista acquired the distributional rights, it seemed they either tried to cautiously test the waters or secretly dump that film right away, in favour of protecting Disney movies from the "Japanese invaders".

I liked it. Because anything is more likeable than Grave of the fireflies. And Mononoke isn't starting any dumb controversies and trolling shit - is it?

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: TR0N on 07/24/2015, 03:07 AMDitto i first got into dirty pair through the adam warren comics.Then what little streamline pictures released here.Damn,it sure took a long time for the tv series to make it here officially.After watching it i find it more comedic then the movies are.I enjoy project eden the most as well,best out of the three dirty pair movies.
I have fond memories of the Streamline pictures released movies. I actually picked up a DVD set a few years ago with three of them.

The TV series I watched a few episodes of via the Manga Entertainment channel that is on Xbox live and it didn't blow me away.
--DragonmasterDan

esteban

Grave of the Fireflies — If you haven't seen this film, watch it tonight. Lights out, no distractions.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: esteban on 07/24/2015, 06:14 AMGrave of the Fireflies — If you haven't seen this film, watch it tonight. Lights out, no distractions.
I know I asked NightWolve this as well, but have you seen Barefoot Gen?
--DragonmasterDan

SephirothTNH

Best anime ever right here.

IMG

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: SephirothTNH on 07/24/2015, 06:55 AMBest anime ever right here.
IMG
Heh, I own that VHS as well.

I've never actually watched that cut of the movie in its entirety. But I have watched through Nausicaa
--DragonmasterDan

SephirothTNH

Nausicaa is better but Warriors of the wind is what started it all for me.  I must have worn out my video stores copy back in the day.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: SephirothTNH on 07/24/2015, 07:25 AMNausicaa is better but Warriors of the wind is what started it all for me.  I must have worn out my video stores copy back in the day. 
What's kind of lame about the copy of it that I have is it's a legitimate pre-recorded VHS tape, but they recorded it at SLP (I'm not sure how many people remember that VHS had different speed settings that effected video quality and duration of the tape). So cheap.
--DragonmasterDan

esteban

TR0N

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 07/24/2015, 04:02 AM
Quote from: TR0N on 07/24/2015, 03:07 AMDitto i first got into dirty pair through the adam warren comics.Then what little streamline pictures released here.Damn,it sure took a long time for the tv series to make it here officially.After watching it i find it more comedic then the movies are.I enjoy project eden the most as well,best out of the three dirty pair movies.
I have fond memories of the Streamline pictures released movies. I actually picked up a DVD set a few years ago with three of them.

The TV series I watched a few episodes of via the Manga Entertainment channel that is on Xbox live and it didn't blow me away.
Yeah streamline pictures had there own english dub.The dirty pair tv series is fine for what it is.Girls with guns added with action and comedy mixed in.Though the show only lasted 24 episodes due to low ratings,which lead to the ova's and movies.I didn't know there was a manga entertainment channel for the XBAL.
IMG

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: TR0N on 07/24/2015, 07:47 AMYeah streamline pictures had there own english dub.The dirty pair tv series is fine for what it is.Girls with guns add with action and comedy mixed in.Though the show only lasted 24 episodes due to low ratings,which lead to the ova's and movies.I didn't know there was a manga entertainment channel for the XBAL.
From what I recall there was a second dirty pair animated series done maybe a year or two later that was also on the Manga channel.

And yeah, it's there but I believe it requires an Xbox Live Gold subscription which I long ago allowed to expire.
--DragonmasterDan

SephirothTNH

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 07/24/2015, 07:30 AM
Quote from: SephirothTNH on 07/24/2015, 07:25 AMNausicaa is better but Warriors of the wind is what started it all for me.  I must have worn out my video stores copy back in the day. 
What's kind of lame about the copy of it that I have is it's a legitimate pre-recorded VHS tape, but they recorded it at SLP (I'm not sure how many people remember that VHS had different speed settings that effected video quality and duration of the tape). So cheap.
How do you know yours is recorded in SLP.  I need to check my copy.  I hope I don't need to track down a Standard Play copy. 

Although I made a cap of mine and it looks pretty good so I would be surprised to find that my copy is in Super Long Play.

Quote from: esteban on 07/24/2015, 07:36 AMHell yes.

:)
The man knows.  The man Knows!

TR0N

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 07/24/2015, 07:48 AM
Quote from: TR0N on 07/24/2015, 07:47 AMYeah streamline pictures had there own english dub.The dirty pair tv series is fine for what it is.Girls with guns add with action and comedy mixed in.Though the show only lasted 24 episodes due to low ratings,which lead to the ova's and movies.I didn't know there was a manga entertainment channel for the XBAL.
From what I recall there was a second dirty pair animated series done maybe a year or two later that was also on the Manga channel.

And yeah, it's there but I believe it requires an Xbox Live Gold subscription which I long ago allowed to expire.
Didn't know i had never had a xbox.
IMG

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: SephirothTNH on 07/24/2015, 07:49 AM
Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 07/24/2015, 07:30 AM
How do you know yours is recorded in SLP.  I need to check my copy.  I hope I don't need to track down a Standard Play copy. 

Although I made a cap of mine and it looks pretty good so I would be surprised to find that my copy is in Super Long Play.
The on-screen HUD on my VCR indicated it was SLP when I popped the tape in. I know not all VCRs list that on their HUD or menu's.
--DragonmasterDan

SephirothTNH

Oh yeah I remember some of my vcrs growing up did that.  I'm not sure if either of my current ones do.  I'm just going to pretend I never heard of this being a possibility.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: SephirothTNH on 07/24/2015, 07:54 AMOh yeah I remember some of my vcrs growing up did that.  I'm not sure if either of my current ones do.  I'm just going to pretend I never heard of this being a possibility.
It's also quite possible since this was kind of a budget release to import and dub that a standard play copy of it doesn't exist.
--DragonmasterDan

SephirothTNH

ClodBusted

I never heard of pre-recorded longplay VHS - I was assuming that feature was only used for TV recordings done by the user. I think that pose a lot of problems for owners of VHS recorders that didn't support longplay. I know I had to bring my own recorder with me back in the late 90s to school when we watched a TV recorded copy of Kitano's Hana-Bi at our Japanese culture club, since none of the school's VHS recorders featured longplay.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 07/24/2015, 10:36 AMI never heard of pre-recorded longplay VHS - I was assuming that feature was only used for TV recordings done by the user. I think that pose a lot of problems for owners of VHS recorders that didn't support longplay. I know I had to bring my own recorder with me back in the late 90s to school when we watched a TV recorded copy of Kitano's Hana-Bi at our Japanese culture club, since none of the school's VHS recorders featured longplay.
SP
LP
SLP

I remember most VCR decks supports all three speeds, but in the mid-80's I was surprised that LP was the speed that I sometimes had trouble finding support for.

Or maybe it was SLP? I honestly have forgotten. I used to know. Dammit.

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 07/24/2015, 08:01 AM
Quote from: SephirothTNH on 07/24/2015, 07:54 AMOh yeah I remember some of my vcrs growing up did that.  I'm not sure if either of my current ones do.  I'm just going to pretend I never heard of this being a possibility.
It's also quite possible since this was kind of a budget release to import and dub that a standard play copy of it doesn't exist.
I am sure that only the SLP version exists. Only because that would be the way to have a budget release.

The budget movies I bought back in the day were almost always recorded at a slower speed.

This would be mid- to late-80's and I was getting Metropolis and Night of the Living Dead  and 1960's beach films. Frankie & Annette.

I originally wrote Donny & Marie. Senility.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: esteban on 07/24/2015, 11:05 AMSP
LP
SLP

I remember most VCR decks supports all three speeds, but in the mid-80's I was surprised that LP was the speed that I sometimes had trouble finding support for.
All the ones I've seen supported all three speeds. But I could certainly imagine early ones might not have.

QuoteI am sure that only the SLP version exists. Only because that would be the way to have a budget release.

The budget movies I bought back in the day were almost always recorded at a slower speed.

This would be mid- to late-80's and I was getting Metropolis and Night of the Living Dead  and 1960's beach films. Frankie & Annette.

I originally wrote Donny & Marie. Senility.
Night of the Living Dead was/is public domain. So that's exactly what I would have expected to see in the dollar bin on VHS probably recorded with SLP on a tape that did maybe 40 minutes if it were SP.
--DragonmasterDan

ClodBusted

I guess this must be a US thing then. VHS Longplay wasn't a common feature in PAL Europe area, and mostly non-existant on the bread-and-butter Monoaural recorders sold in masses in the 90s. That feature was mainly reserved for the more expensive HiFi-Stereo VHS and S-VHS recorders that weren't very common until DVD hit the market anyways.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 07/24/2015, 11:25 AMI guess this must be a US thing then. VHS Longplay wasn't a common feature in PAL Europe area, and mostly non-existant on the bread-and-butter Monoaural recorders sold in masses in the 90s. That feature was mainly reserved for the more expensive HiFi-Stereo VHS and S-VHS recorders that weren't very common until DVD hit the market anyways.
Ahh you're in Europe.

That would definitely explain why you haven't seen pre-recorded tapes at other speeds.

Added in edit: I don't recall seeing VHS players in North America that didn't support all three speeds. I know the one my parents purchased when I was about two years old (1983) definitely did all three speeds for example. A lot of budget VHS tapes would use the lower speed just to save on manufacturing costs.

I do remember the middle speed sometimes being called EP for Extended Play.
--DragonmasterDan

SephirothTNH

I thought EP was synonyms with SLP.  Anyway being born in 1983 I also don't recall ever seeing a VCR that wouldn't do all three speeds.  The first VCR I remember was one of those top loading ones and even it could do all three.