Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys English Dub Patch Released!

Started by Burnt Lasagna, 09/24/2012, 06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernie

Quote from: Burnt Lasagna on 09/25/2012, 07:49 PM-Regarding the matter of Repros Selling
I've had this conversation before about repros being made for my Rondo of Blood patch and my opinion has not changed since then. 
I'm very much against repros!
This project was strictly an act a fandom and I do not want that to be misconstrued by the powers at be. I didn't start this project expecting to make any money out of it, nor do I want to. It was made in order to give English speaking fans of the series a method for playing the game in their native language. Nothing more. Not a physical item that you can put on your shelf, just a free file to apply to your game so you can understand it. You shouldn't expect anything else. 

Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys is still very much being sold today on the Japanese PSN and you can even easily import it, since the PS3 is not region locked. Which I recommend for those of you who have not bought it,
http://www.jp.playstation.com/software/title/jp0555npjj30040_00ys4000000000js40.html

I'm fine with people making their own mockup case/manual that you print out yourself, just please no pressed disks/repro selling!

That is my stance on the matter, please respect it and enjoy the patch on either a CDR or your emulator of choice.
Its great that you did the patch for Drac X, and we all are very happy with the work you done on this one as well, but with all due respect, you aren't the only person involved in this.   :(  I do understand your position, but if all others involved do not have an issue, I do not see the problem.  A big part of this project was the translation itself, and NightWolve handled that.  Far as I can tell, he is fine with it.  I am sure the people involved with the speech would be fine with it as well.  It is just a matter of finding out.  Anyway, that is my two cents.

Joe Redifer

I get this when it starts patching ADPCM in track 2

IMG
https://web.archive.org/web/20190509210555im_/https://i.imgur.com/HPtRk.png

After I click OK it says the process is complete.  Is this normal?  I don't want to burn an incomplete patch.  Windows XP service pack 2 (I think).  No clue what that DLL is.

My guess is that I'll need to re-rip the game, re-find the english text patch and then redo this after I get this DLL thing sorted (no clue what a DLL even is, fuggin' Windows), correct ?

Bernie

Not normal Joe.  Not sure what it means though.  Have you tried it in an emulator to see if it works?

NightWolve

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 09/25/2012, 09:00 PMI get this when it starts patching ADPCM in track 2

After I click OK it says the process is complete.  Is this normal?  I don't want to burn an incomplete patch.  Windows XP service pack 2 (I think).  No clue what that DLL is.

My guess is that I'll need to re-rip the game, re-find the english text patch and then redo this after I get this DLL thing sorted (no clue what a DLL even is, fuggin' Windows), correct?
Download the patch again, Joe. And delete any patch, backup folders to restart the process, that or extract a fresh image. That DLL was what we were talking about earlier in the thread. I fixed that in the new patcher by having Mike switch to an older version of xdelta (patching software) that doesn't require MS "C" runtime libraries to be present.

Joe Redifer

Do I still need to apply the text patch first?  I can no longer find it on your site.

NightWolve

Yeah, either before or after. Order doesn't matter.

Joe Redifer

I can no longer find the text patch on your site.

EDIT:  I found it.  I was originally looking in the DOWNLOADS section under Ys 4.  Silly me.

Joe Redifer

Alright it worked this time.  I downloaded a MSVCR100.dll and put it in the same folder just in case.  Burning now, thanks!

Sadler

Quote from: Keith Courage on 09/25/2012, 03:20 AMThere already is one man. Here it is.  Lightscribe Image:

IMG

Here is what is looks like once burned to the CD. I know it's a bit blurry. My camera never takes good close up pics.

cimg6833.jpg
I've been playing around trying to make my own lightscribe image the past couple days. Here's what I ended up with:

tinypic.com/2u41s43.png
tinypic.com/p4tuf.png

Here's what it looks like after burning 5 or 6 times over:

tinypic.com/2qv9zzp.png

Pretty good!  8)

Here's a comparison pic with the PCE version:

tinypic.com/28gwln6.png

As awesome as the English manual is (and it is fucking awesome), I wish the whole thing was more TG style. I'd like to see the back cover being the orange and black recommendations you typically see in US games. The inside front cover and back cover I wish were English too. I'm going to try to whip something up for that. Finally, the rear insert could use some TG-ification! :D I'm attempting to have that done now. :D

Anyway, thanks again to everyone that worked on this. Tremendous effort, awesome product! :D

PunkCryborg

Joe Redifer

This is indeed a truly awesome effort.  Thanks to everyone involved!

Bernie

NightWolve

Quote from: Bernie on 09/25/2012, 08:33 PMIts great that you did the patch for Drac X, and we all are very happy with the work you done on this one as well, but with all due respect, you aren't the only person involved in this.   :(  I do understand your position, but if all others involved do not have an issue, I do not see the problem.  A big part of this project was the translation itself, and NightWolve handled that.  Far as I can tell, he is fine with it.  I am sure the people involved with the speech would be fine with it as well.  It is just a matter of finding out.  Anyway, that is my two cents. 
Eh, to clarify, Shimarisu, given her little Ys IV CD-R eBay sales stunts, were she included, she could possibly be accepting of the idea; maybe, there is some room for convincing in her case...

Now DeuceBag, highly doubtful, although, back in '07, he did demand a 40%/60% split of earnings if we went forward with a payware patch regarding Ys Origin - I never got around to really begin development on the plans that I had though. I thought the 40% split was outrageous given the time/labor I've had to put in compared to him (if it took him 22 days to convert Japanese to English in Felghana's case, & it took me a year to develop script management software, to hack the engine to extract the text, all the related research, the marketing, the website, etc., he was gonna have to do a LOT more work for me to think a 40% split in his favor was fair...) and it led to him making an ultimatum of either I accept the deal or we quit working together, etc. If the patch was free, fine, then his labor was free, but if not, a 40%/60% split. I got him down to 25% the next day, but I guess he carried a grudge ever since, hence how he put me down for 0% when the XSEED situation came along and 100% for himself (but there's more complexities to it than that, stayed tuned in the future on my site about this one day)...

But yeah, just to clarify, they handled the translation department (94% by Shimarisu in Ys IV's case), and I would say neither of them are fanatics on the issue (as far as, OH MY GAWDD, it's supposed to 100% FREE --what the leaker of my Felghana patch infamously said-- or the universe will collapse in on itself, it's by fans for fans, I stand against the evil profit-motive, etc., that whole deal), but I'm not gonna say that if I sought their support, I'd get it... I'd really have to sweeten the deal. But like I said, I don't give a damn about their approval! I'm not on speaking terms with either of them and never will be again. Although, in DeuceBag's case, I did dream of having a lawyer to do my talking to him for me one day, but the window passed. It would've required me going to his state of South Carolina and filing a small-claims lawsuit for what one lawyer I consulted with told me would be classified as "unjust enrichment."

Anyway, enough of that, this thread was supposed to be more of a celebration and positive in nature. There'll be time to talk about this down the road, we're not even past the first week of release and we're getting a wee bit too negative about things. I respect BL/Mike's position, and there are people that can have a genuine, passionate view that if they work on something they intended to be free, it should remain that way. The fanatics, like at say "romhacking hacks.net", try to push such beliefs onto others via threats of extortion, slander, character assassination, ginning up hysteria/paranoia/fear via the spread of misinformation and whatnot, etc. You've got that extreme which, as you can tell, I've dealt with and have strong feelings about.

Sometimes, you do just wanna say, "Eh, what's the big #?!?#?#!# deal ??" and seeing these damn lightscribed CD-Rs are only pissing me off even more that I didn't get a drive myself and it makes me think how much I'd love to make a pressed CD, but how that there are so many that would stand in the way and tell me, "NEVER, NEVER!!! NEVVVEERRR!!! NOT IF *I* HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE WORK YOU WILL!!!" Anyway, diplomacy's not my strong suit, but you know where I stand. ;)

Keranu

I agree with Nightwolve. Besides, even if we do do a pressing (wow, how cool is it to say "do" two times consecutively?), we'll have to wait for a text translation update from Nightwolve anyway, so that gives us plenty of time to think about these things before we even consider the possibility of replicating Ys IV.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Keith Courage

It's easier to leave it the way it is and not press any CDs. Especially since there would be no more work to be done. Not to mention no more need to keep debating if anyone should press discs or not. lol

Duo_R

That looks awesome!!! Ok that image turned out better than i thought it was the red that was throwing me off. Lol

Quote from: Sadler on 09/25/2012, 09:40 PM
Quote from: Keith Courage on 09/25/2012, 03:20 AMThere already is one man. Here it is.  Lightscribe Image:

IMG

Here is what is looks like once burned to the CD. I know it's a bit blurry. My camera never takes good close up pics.

cimg6833.jpg
I've been playing around trying to make my own lightscribe image the past couple days. Here's what I ended up with:

tinypic.com/2u41s43.png
tinypic.com/p4tuf.png

Here's what it looks like after burning 5 or 6 times over:

tinypic.com/2qv9zzp.png

Pretty good!  8)

Here's a comparison pic with the PCE version:

tinypic.com/28gwln6.png

As awesome as the English manual is (and it is fucking awesome), I wish the whole thing was more TG style. I'd like to see the back cover being the orange and black recommendations you typically see in US games. The inside front cover and back cover I wish were English too. I'm going to try to whip something up for that. Finally, the rear insert could use some TG-ification! :D I'm attempting to have that done now. :D

Anyway, thanks again to everyone that worked on this. Tremendous effort, awesome product! :D
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

Duo_R

I personally don't mind but agree with Nightwolf, we should wait a while before discussing. I am just stoked it was released!!! Thanks everyone for your hard work on this project!

Quote from: Burnt Lasagna on 09/25/2012, 02:42 PMThe thing about pressed disks of this patch is that even if I was okay with the idea, I told all the actors that their voice would only be distributed as a patch, nothing more.  I do not wish to upset any of them by releasing shady pressed disks that have their work on them. There's also the fact that any limited pressing instantly means uber collectors item that goes on eBay for hundreds of dollars after its release.

Anyways the patch is back up with all of NightWolve's fixes (see the front page). It shouldn't, in theory, have issues now.

PunkCryborg

Man I can't wait to play this. I beat the other Ys games all ready and I'm glad I waited for this to finish. I just watched the trailer  and it was very well made as well. Thank you to every one who worked on this your hard work is really appreciated!

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 09/26/2012, 09:42 AMMan I can't wait to play this. I beat the other Ys games all ready and I'm glad I waited for this to finish. I just watched the trailer  and it was very well made as well. Thank you to every one who worked on this your hard work is really appreciated!
Happy that someone will be playing it for the first time with this patch :D I had allot of fun directing this dub and I know allot of the actors feel the same. I hope that shows in the finished patch.
What Button Do You Press To Jump!?!

CrackTiger

If doesn't matter if there is a non-profit fan pressing, anine4ever is going to manufacture a complete copy for sure. He likely has had all the packaging files ready to go for a while now and has just been waiting for this to finish. If he was willing to publish an early build of Rockman on CD, then he'll definitely publish the current version of the translated Ys IV. He's a member here and this thread inparticular has shown how much interest there is in a pressed copy and the forum shows how popular an English manual is. There is more of a market for this than all of his other bootleg PCE games combined.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

LentFilms

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 09/26/2012, 09:42 AMMan I can't wait to play this. I beat the other Ys games all ready and I'm glad I waited for this to finish. I just watched the trailer  and it was very well made as well. Thank you to every one who worked on this your hard work is really appreciated!
I'm in the same boat. I played through about a third of Ys IV before I stopped for a long time. Now that the dub is released I fully intend to finish the game.

geise

Hell yeah!   Another reason to play through this amazing game again!  Thanks Burnt for pulling this dub patch off!  I know it was a ton of work and organization.  Also, thanks again Nightwolve for doing this translation to begin with.  I would thank Deuce but since he's a DeuceBag I will retract my thanks.  Besides he'd have nothing to translate if it wasn't for you.  :wink:  Again, thanks all!  Rockin' out the Duo tonight!   :dance:

LentFilms

Quote from: geise on 09/26/2012, 02:21 PMThanks Burnt for pulling this dub patch off!  I know it was a ton of work and organization.
You have no idea...but it was also pretty fun (at least from my perspective on side lines).

geise

Download link is broken.  :cry:

EDIT:  Up again. Thanks!

dairugger

Im playing this on my psp, in english! Dub and all!!
I cant believe this is actually happening. Both me and my childhood self who would yearn to understand this game want to thank everyone involved. You guys are freakin rad!

Duo_R

Bernie

Yes, it is the current version. If anyone needs help patching their game, PM me.  I can assist if needed.

Sadler

OK, last post on lightscribes I swear :D I wasn't happy with what I had last night, so I tweaked it a bit:

tinypic.com/f0476.gif
tinypic.com/35buxe0.png

Here's what it looks like burned:

IMG

...and here's a comparison between last night's disc, the PCE and tonight's disc:

tinypic.com/2hxq2kg.png

Duo_R

_Paul

VestCunt

Hell.

I seem to have a third version of Ys IV. My spine reads: HCD3051-4-1108-R2F

I guess I'll see how this goes.
Topic Adjourned.

Marll

Is there a available English manual and tray insert? It'd be great to see one produced that appears like a later release Duo title for everyone's library.
Rabid Turbo fan since 1989!
Happy F@ck eBay member since 2010

Sadler

There's a mostly english manual, see HERE and HERE. Sparky's printed off some pretty incredible ones. I'm not aware of a rear insert in english yet, but my buddy and his wife are working on that now. :D As soon as it's finished, I'll post it.

NightWolve

Quote from: Sadler on 09/27/2012, 12:05 AMOK, last post on lightscribes I swear :D I wasn't happy with what I had last night, so I tweaked it a bit:

IMG
I'm really starting to hate you Sadler... And look, he even made sure to exclude the apostrophe error that got in with the original.

Sadler

Quote from: NightWolve on 09/27/2012, 08:10 PMI'm really starting to hate you Sadler... And look, he even made sure to exclude the apostrophe error that got in with the original.
:lol: Whoever made the PCE disc image should be slapped for those apostrophes. :)

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: Sadler on 09/27/2012, 08:32 PM:lol: Whoever made the PCE disc image should be slapped for those apostrophes. :)
Hah, you'd be surprised how many of the actors, that didn't know about the Ys series until this project, included that apostrophes when referring to the game.  :lol:
I found it odd, since I never once used it in any of the promotional image's or text for auditions.

NightWolve

Quote from: guest on 09/27/2012, 03:27 PMHell.

I seem to have a third version of Ys IV. My spine reads: HCD3051-4-1108-R2F

I guess I'll see how this goes.
Are you sure vestcunt? Hmmm, would you mind giving me some of your time ? I need to get you to run TocRead on that disc so I can add it to my local copy of the NEC TOC database. Actually, if you ran TurboRip on this disc, it should've made a .toc file! If you could send me that file, I would be interested in adding it! If you already ran TurboRip, it did not detect the title for this disc, correct? That's what would've happened...

Joe Redifer

Been playing through this and enjoying it immensely.  However when I got to the part where I talk to the goddess' statues, the sound broke up into near static.  It was very hard to understand what was being said.  Reset the system and tried again.  Pretty much the same thing.  All of the other voices are fine, though, with only a bit of clipping here and there (par for the course for ADPCM voices on the system, even in commercial games).

NightWolve

Ah damn, so a clipping problem got through after all! Tsk.

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 09/28/2012, 05:24 AMBeen playing through this and enjoying it immensely.  However when I got to the part where I talk to the goddess' statues, the sound broke up into near static.  It was very hard to understand what was being said.  Reset the system and tried again.  Pretty much the same thing.  All of the other voices are fine, though, with only a bit of clipping here and there (par for the course for ADPCM voices on the system, even in commercial games).
Well crap, does anyone have a save where this part happens? Because I no longer have a save at that exact point for testing purposes.
I thought I cleaned up all instances of clipping in the game! ](*,)

EDIT: This will not be an issue if you are playing it with Ootake/Magic Engine. Just a heads up for people who are playing the dub via said emulators.

pixeljunkie

Joe Redifer

I have a save maybe 10 minutes before it happens.  It's on a real system so I couldn't exactly e-mail the save to anyone.  About the best I could do is record it.

I haven't checked yet but does Ys IV have a password feature for the saves?

CrackTiger

No passwords.

There's the Nanami Bank, but after several attempts, I have yet to get it to work. :/
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

TurboXray

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 09/28/2012, 02:07 PMI have a save maybe 10 minutes before it happens.  It's on a real system so I couldn't exactly e-mail the save to anyone.  About the best I could do is record it.

I haven't checked yet but does Ys IV have a password feature for the saves?
I have a bram dump util (does a sound encode dump through the stereo cables/whatever). You'll need to record it to a wave file on your PC. Maybe this would be a good use of this tool?

Joe Redifer

Here's a recording.  Starts getting insane at about 1:18-ish.  Click to download - 16.36 MB

What causes something like this?  Why doesn't it do this in emulators?  Is it a bug with the real hardware?

Marll

What does the following error mean?

Performing Track Mode Analysis... One moment...
Error with Data Track 02: Track following error
Fatal Error: This analysis phase has failed. Aborting...

It saves the TOC from the disc, but that's as far as it seems to get. Tested with other games (Loom) and it worked fine. Perhaps an issue with my disc...

Bernie

Are you ripping from a genuine disc, or a downloaded image?

Marll

Right now a burned copy. I have a few backups of discs, and while I had the original years ago it got misplaced in a move. Probably doesn't help that my 2 year old got into my Turbo collection and scratched up a few things recently too.

VestCunt

OK, my disc definitely says "R2F" but Turborip rips and name the files "R1F". I'll PM you a link to the TOC file.
Magic Engine does not identify the patched disc. I did not look into anything very deeply or attempt to use the TOC fixer utility; when I saw that my ISO was the right size I just went ahead with the patch.
The patched disc plays fine on my TGCD and the audio sounds great.
On my Windows XP machine with Magic Engine there are brief lags of static clipping whenever the background music ducks for an overdub to start. Also, the BGM-to-voice ratio doesn't seem quiet right on Magic Engine - the voices can barely be heard over the music. Neither of these issues are a problem on real hardware. Anyway, I hate emultaors and I have a spare CD lens standing by, so I'll bite the bullet this once and play a burned disc on my hardware.

All in all, you guys did a FANTASTIC job and really helped make 2012 a great year for the TurboGrafx. I never thought I'd be sitting here with an english-patched, english-dubbed, disc with a sweet lightscribe label and a full-color, translated manual and insert. Thank you so much Nightwolve, Burnt Lasagna, Sparky, Sadler, and everyone else for your work on all of these different projects!
Topic Adjourned.